Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had enough HD Bullcrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:27 PM
SC_Compact
|
Road Warrior
Default I've had enough HD Bullcrap

Last fall I noticed a small dent where the back of the seat attaches to the fender. I brought it back to the stealer to see about getting the fender replaced. Dealer refused to help and HD corporate said that if the damage couldn't be seen with the factory seat on they were not going to replace the fender. I mentioned it was visible with a solo seat on the bike and was told sorry but that is not HD's problem. There is a technical bulletin M1273 out on this. I called corporate twice. The second call was to a supervisor and I was told too bad. I sent aletter the CEO and I received a call stating that my letter was received and they still would not make it right.

As far as I'm concerned this is the last new Harley I bought. I will do my best to get my fluids, filters and parts from other places when possible.

Sorry to rant but I'm a little Pissed off. I spent $20k on a bike and due to poor engineering I have a dented fender that HD will not fix.

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:34 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't blame you for letting off a little steam, I wouldn't be happy either.

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:34 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master

One of my side covers have what almost looked like a paint line and during the first service, I mentioned it and got exactly the same response you did.

Now mind you, it is not visible but does that make it right? No. I do however feel your pain brother. Guess one really has to go over a bike before buying it. New or old.

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:39 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer

Wow. You'd would think the dealer would jump in and pick up the slack. I mean what H__L a $500.00 fender (dealer cost 1/2 of this?) to make you a happy chrome buying son of a gun. Nuts. Post a picture of the fender damage and the letter from HD, maybe that will wake someone up!

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Personally, I think if you buy a bike that comes standard with a two-up seat on it and you want to change to a solo, it is your responsibilty to make sure you take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent the two-up seat from inflicting any damage that may be visible when the solo seat is installed.

Now if the dent/scratch/whatever was there when it was new, then that's a different story.

Way too many people blaming HD for their own personal negligence in my opinion.

With all the complaints you read about Harley on this forum, why do any of you even buy them?

I love both of mine. And if they have some little glitch I'll simply fix it myself rather than bad mouth the company of the motorcycles I love.

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:49 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Personally, I think if you buy a bike that comes standard with a two-up seat on it and you want to change to a solo, it is your responsibilty to make sure you take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent the two-up seat from inflicting any damage that may be visible when the solo seat is installed.
While I don't disagree with this, I'm surprised that the dealer didn't take care of it. Try another dealer.

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:50 PM
07fxdwg
Road Captain

yep x2

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:57 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Now if the dent/scratch/whatever was there when it was new, then that's a different story.

Way too many people blaming HD for their own personal negligence in my opinion.

With all the complaints you read about Harley on this forum, why do any of you even buy them?

I love both of mine. And if they have some little glitch I'll simply fix it myself rather than bad mouth the company of the motorcycles I love.

Sorry, and no offense, but the bike should be designed so what happened would not be possible. It is an engineering or manufacturing flaw. Case closed.

Old 03-01-2011 | 06:05 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Could you REALLY ride anything else?

I didn't think so. LOL

Just mod it till it's broke. My motto anyways. lol

Old 03-01-2011 | 06:10 PM
jberg
Road Warrior

Since Harley acknowleged the defect that caused this in a service bulletin it would seem that they should fix it no matter how hard it is to see it. The dealer could have reported it as visible too. Harley has to take their word on things like that. I'd be disappointed too.

Quick Reply: I've had enough HD Bullcrap