Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had enough HD Bullcrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011 | 09:13 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by aka oregon rick
HIGH COUNTRY HARLEY DAVIDSON FREDRICK, COLORADO

"WORST DEALERSHIP EVER....... Took my bike in for an oil change and requested full synthetic oil, the service counter guy insisted I use HD oil ? this went back and forth until I threatened to take my bike some where else. A few days later went back for starter problems,was very specific as to what I wanted fixed!! I travel around the states for work and had to leave my bike for just over 3 weeks. Got it back with a burnt up back tire and 2000 extra miles. (The back tire had just been replaced prior to the starter issues) It ran like hell going home (just paid over $700 for dyno and computer upgrades) got home to find out a plug wire wasn"t put back on correctly (not sure it was even off ?). Took off to Texas and 30 miles outside Dallas I was left stranded do to "starter problems". When I returned to the dealership it took over a week for someone to get back to me and another two for the owner to respond. I had to call him to be told TOO BAD!... Are you kidding me? The attitude in service is the worst ever seen!! These guys don't care about anyone unless you are in their collective group. Who lets your service guys joy ride your bike? These guys are total losers.....DON'T WAST YOUR TIME OR MONEY! ...................aka RICK FROM OREGON"

AGSC

No . . . Seriously ??!!! Really ??!! And you didn't sue them??!
If some shop burnt up my tire and put crazy miles like that on, heads would f___ing roll !!! I'd be down there with a lawyer and it would be my name on the sign when I was done (and the prev owners head on a platter)

As far as the orig post. A service bulletin does not mean they'll fix it. (by rights they should) It means they know there's a problem. Call the B A R and/or consumer affairs. See if a visit from them doesn't change that dealers tune.
If I was that Svc Mngr, I'd say, Well Harley ain't gonna fix it, but YOU buy the fender at my cost and I'll install it @ no chg to you. I think that would be fair, and you'd be a loyal cust after that.

Old 03-04-2011 | 10:12 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer

+1 seems like they would make up the $$$ pretty quickly with a happy camper buying more stuff from them, now they have a pi$$$ed off guy who will be mad for a long long time. HD has had it too good for too long, you would think with this economy they would make it right, I have a feeling my local dealer would work with me on it.

Old 03-04-2011 | 10:52 PM
hotrod6779
Advanced

Let's sue em. What do you think is wrong with this country. Ive got entitlement issues. Everybody owes me something because they've got more than me. I shoulda had this I shoulda had that. F^&* it. It is what it is. Go sue somebody. Why dont you go ahead and get on welfare too. Maybe I can help pay your way too. And his white @ss dont seem to blamed happy to me. But why dont we all just whine a little while.

Old 03-04-2011 | 11:12 PM
SC_Compact
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Another option to think about... Have you considered an autobody paintless dent removal process. I've seen some repairs of 1/2 dollar sized dents that you could absolutely not find when they were done. And I have a good eye for this stuff - spent my younger years in the autobody repair business.

Typically they charge around $75-$100 per dent. Talk to the dealer and have them cover that cost.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I bought the bike to ride and I can live with the dent. I can also get a fender cover ro cover the dent. To me it is the principal. HD messed up and won't do the right thing and correct the problem. I feel when I spend $20k on a bike the Mfg should stand behind their product especially after admitting there is a problem be it large or small.

It's not just this incident. How about the cupping front tire. It took HD 6-9 months to come forward and admit there was a problem. How about the sub par seat that comes on a $20k bike.. I put 20,000 miles on my Dyna before replacing the stock seat. HD puts a crap seat on their $20k bike hoping you'll cough up $300 for a decent seat. How about the fairing brackets that don't hold up. The tire valve stems that require us to lie on our side to add air. The so so quality shocks on the SG. Cam chain adjuster on the pre 2006 bikes.

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with my FLHX and couldn't see riding anything else but I am pissed with HD Corporate.

Originally Posted by AF Chief
Don't take it our on the motorcycle - you love it and you know it.
I still love my bike and if the time comes to buy another bike (although I plan to keep my 09 SG forever) it most probably will be another HD, however it will be a used bike. Even if HD steps up now and replaces the fender I will never buy another new bike from them again and will do my best to buy all my parts from the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
No . . .
As far as the orig post. A service bulletin does not mean they'll fix it. (by rights they should) It means they know there's a problem. Call the B A R and/or consumer affairs. See if a visit from them doesn't change that dealers tune.
If I was that Svc Mngr, I'd say, Well Harley ain't gonna fix it, but YOU buy the fender at my cost and I'll install it @ no chg to you. I think that would be fair, and you'd be a loyal cust after that.
I went to the dealers website where I took the bike. They have a spot to post your experience with the dealership and generates an email to the dealer. It is supposed to be for good experiences. I used it to send them a fairly harsh reply.

One of the posters said not to give up so I decided to call the dealer and asked to speak to the owner. They are a small dealership, have been in business since the 50's, and the dealership is named after the owner who is still there. I called and asked to speak to the owner. When I told him my story he remembered the harsh email I sent him. He mentioned he was heading to Daytona but would put in a call to the HD regional rep so there is still a chance I may get the problem reolved.

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
In my opinion HD is very foolish. While I don't add allot of extras to my bikes they still could make up the cost of the fender in future bike sale, filters, foot pegs, handgrips, rain gear, tires...etc. I try to do as much of my own service as I can but there are things that are beyond my skill level and I used to bring it to the dealer. However there is a good indy close by, in both NY and Arkansas, and I will bring my bike to them in the future.

I did get a good laugh out this whole ordeal tonight. I got a call from a survey company wanting to know about my experience with HD Corporate customer service and if I would recommend a Harley to a friend. I gave them the lowest possible score on every question plus a few comments that they recorded.

Old 03-04-2011 | 11:28 PM
hotrod6779
Advanced

Good Luck I hope it works out for you. But remember the only say a man's got in this world is in his right hip pocket. Live that way and even the morons start learning faster. Not so hard to figure stuff out when you dine at the dumpster.

Old 03-04-2011 | 11:29 PM
hotrod6779
Advanced

Hell you get too d@mned worried about how it looks take a gander at mine

Old 03-05-2011 | 12:06 AM
porkchopsd
Tourer

SC Compact agree, short sided thinking, why harley is making a big deal over somthing as little as a fender swap out that costs them next to nothing to get right for you is beyond me, not even offering to work something out just seems crazy but in the end we keep putting up with them, had a simliar situation with a sporty years ago fender had a dent from the factory but I never changed the seat out so didn't matter. I would bet that if you had a Victory or an new Indian or another struggling company trying to carve out a market share they would be all over the fix harley is just a bit to comfortable and I too helped them get that way.

Old 03-05-2011 | 12:42 AM
grzly
Road Master

id ask once , and if it wasnt fixed , move on. if it was fixed i'd be telling everyone how great the service was. you may be in the right but for me life is too short for me to build up a head of steam over trivial stuff. when i sell my bikes the depreciation on them are a result of long hard riding , and not some small insignificant issue. i dont have any garage queens.

Old 03-05-2011 | 06:17 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Dealers also have a pool of discretionary money they can use to fix problems or warranty items. If you had a better relationship with your dealer they might have used some of those funds to help you out. It is sometimes worth stopping in, having a cup of coffee, getting to know the folks there and buying a t-shirt every now and then.

As stated earlier, if your dealer really wanted to make you happy there are a lot of options open to them with little cost to either of you. If you have any sort of relationship, you may want to ask about the discretionary funds.

See here for an example of how one dealer fixed a situation:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ak-update.html

Last edited by TickTock; 03-05-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2011 | 09:36 AM
SC_Compact
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by porkchopsd
SC Compact agree, short sided thinking, why harley is making a big deal over somthing as little as a fender swap out that costs them next to nothing to get right for you is beyond me, not even offering to work something out just seems crazy but in the end we keep putting up with them, had a simliar situation with a sporty years ago fender had a dent from the factory but I never changed the seat out so didn't matter. I would bet that if you had a Victory or an new Indian or another struggling company trying to carve out a market share they would be all over the fix harley is just a bit to comfortable and I too helped them get that way.
As far as I am concerned HD is being very short sited on this.

Growing up I always rode metrics. Back in 1978 I bought a Kawasaki KZ650 that was fast handled great and never gave me a problem. Loved that bike. My buddy bought a 1976 Sportster that had to have the top end rebuilt, the bottom end rebuilt, leaked oil and rode and handled like a truck. Then in 2004 a coworker was looking at a Honda Aero. I hadn't owned a bike since 1996 (Honda ST1100) and I took a ride to the the Honda dealer with him. When I saw the price of the Honda dealership and remembering their commercial for a Sporster for around $6k I went to the HD dealer. I test rode a 1200R Sporty and was sold. I've been riding an HD ever since. I put 10,000 miles on the sporty in one year, 45,000 miles on my dyna in 4 years and 25,000 on my FLHX in les than 2 years. Whenever someone I knew was looking for a bike I would let them know how great my HD was.

Now after this fiasco I can no longer recommend a new HD. I would still push them towards an HD but a used HD.

K. Wendell (HD CEO) couldn't give a crap about is loyal customers or the long term well being of his company. He only cares about keeping the stock price up while he is at the helm of the company, not what's good for HD 5, 10 or even 20 years down the road.

Quick Reply: I've had enough HD Bullcrap