Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had enough HD Bullcrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011 | 06:46 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Had a simialar issue with my 09 ultra. Dealer repaired/painted the fender, it looked like baby ****. I called harley and got a new fender, no issues.

Old 03-04-2011 | 03:46 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Did you bother to see what the remedy is? It isn't replacing the fender.
The 'small print' on page 3 states that the fender may be repaired or replaced. The OP asked for a replacement fender--
I'd be pished off too...

Old 03-04-2011 | 03:54 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

My brand new 09 UC had paint bubbles on the lower fairing in a spot that was visible, but not noticeable. I found this on my "pre-rideaway inspection" before leaving the dealer.

The response was a printout of the FoMoCo policy regarding to size and visibility of paint defects. According to the policy my paint bubbles were within the defect limits so was told no go on replacement or repair.

A year later the same dealer service dept forgot to tighten the Dzus fasteners on my right hard bag and the sucker came loose and rattled around in the security frame...
They didn't argue about replacing that though-- The only reason they didn't was because the service kid admitted he forgot to lock them down. He DID get to keep his job for being honest about it....

Old 03-04-2011 | 03:55 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

"There is a technical bulletin M1273 out on this. I called corporate twice. The second call was to a supervisor and I was told too bad. I sent aletter the CEO and I received a call stating that my letter was received and they still would not make it right."

I'd start all over, with the selling dealer. There's been threads here before, saying that nothing could be done, but ultimately they got some sort of satisfactory resolution, maybe even if the dealer paid half, to make it right. If Harley didn't sell solo seats, I could see that it might be on you, but since they do sell solo seats AND there is a bulletin, some form of monetary help to make it right isn't unreasonable.

Old 03-04-2011 | 04:09 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Okay. After reading the service bulletin I owe you an apology... Sorry. In review, I should have chose another time/thread for my rant.
Just wanted to say that you're a stand up guy for this post. All too frequently people unfairly unload and then refuse to acknowledge they should have put more thought into their response.

Even funnier, some people who unload on the complainers, if you look through posts for awhile, usually had some sort of rant themselves with Harley. When they post, it's a 'legitimate problem'; when someone else posts the same thing, it's a 'rant or complaint'... nice to see someone put out their hand for a handshake, and I think the dealer should have at least met the owner half-way in resolving a known issue.

Old 03-04-2011 | 04:45 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
The 'small print' on page 3 states that the fender may be repaired or replaced. The OP asked for a replacement fender--
I'd be pished off too...

Repaired or replaced. It also says it applies to bikes still under warranty. He didn't ask for them to fix it, he's demanding a new fender. There are a bunch of "small dents" that can be easily repaired without replacing the part. I doubt it's all that much of a dent. If it's at the nut and he can still get the seat on and the seat tab itself is still OK, it can't be dented all that much. Has anyone seen it, and why wait months to even bring it to the attention of the dealer?

Old 03-04-2011 | 04:48 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
My brand new 09 UC had paint bubbles on the lower fairing in a spot that was visible, but not noticeable. I found this on my "pre-rideaway inspection" before leaving the dealer.

The response was a printout of the FoMoCo policy regarding to size and visibility of paint defects. According to the policy my paint bubbles were within the defect limits so was told no go on replacement or repair.

With all due respect, why did you not ask to void the paperwork and either leave or start over with another bike?

"...my paint bubbles were within the defect limits ..."

Who knew bubbles had limits?

Last edited by Bibleman; 03-04-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2011 | 05:28 PM
SC_Compact
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Repaired or replaced. It also says it applies to bikes still under warranty. He didn't ask for them to fix it, he's demanding a new fender. There are a bunch of "small dents" that can be easily repaired without replacing the part. I doubt it's all that much of a dent. If it's at the nut and he can still get the seat on and the seat tab itself is still OK, it can't be dented all that much. Has anyone seen it, and why wait months to even bring it to the attention of the dealer?
Yes the bike is still under warranty.

If HD wants to repair and repaint the fender that's ok too. It's not just the looks but is the paint going to crack at some point down the road and start to rust?

As far as waiting months I spent a week in Sept riding around Col, Wy, Mont, Idaho, ND, SD, Kansas, Mo and Ark. Then the following weekend I rode back to NY. I noticed the problem when I got back to NY but could not bring the bike in until Nov.

I work in Arkansas for 5-6 weeks and then I head back to NY and work there for a couple of months so its not always easy to get the bike to the dealer.

Old 03-04-2011 | 06:38 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Another option to think about... Have you considered an autobody paintless dent removal process. I've seen some repairs of 1/2 dollar sized dents that you could absolutely not find when they were done. And I have a good eye for this stuff - spent my younger years in the autobody repair business.

Typically they charge around $75-$100 per dent. Talk to the dealer and have them cover that cost.

Old 03-04-2011 | 07:15 PM
AF Chief
Intermediate

If you are absolutely at the end of your rope and aren't over excellerated blood pressure you could sue. Since HD admitted responsibility for the dent (seen or unseen) get a lawyer and sue your dealer for damages plus attorney's fees. HD would then be a party to the suit and, if decided in your favor, HD would have to settle and/or replace the fender and if included in your suit, pay all legal fees. There are lots of motorcycle lawyers out there who are sympathetic and understanding and might possibly take the case with the understanding he/she will be sueing for fees. Don't take it our on the motorcycle - you love it and you know it.

Quick Reply: I've had enough HD Bullcrap