Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had enough HD Bullcrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011 | 07:11 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

I hate it when people complain about reading complaint threads >

Anyway, its a bummer this happened. As a noob myself, I bought a new sundowner seat so Mrs. Noob could be more comfortable, thus reducing the irritating noise coming from the back of the bike while riding.

The HD geniuses tricked me by using big ugly hex head bolts to hold the back chrome strap on. It ruined the fender (for solo use). Live and learn, I guess. I just didn't know it was my job to check every aspect of design on these things - now I know better.

Old 03-01-2011 | 07:29 PM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain

I rrecently had a problem with my dealer becasue 5 weeks after buying the bike I noticed a long crack in the Tou-Pak near rthe hinge. When the crack isn't pulled apart it is damn near invisible. Two friends I ride with knew it was there and couldn't find it.

The dealer told me no way it would be warranteed on a 5 week old bike with 680 miles on it!

So I called customer sevice and they told me the same. Then I got a customer satisfaction survey phone call on a SUnday afternoon. I told the guy the whole ugly story and how I was pissed about it.
I also told him that I had spent over $40K in 18 months at that dealer and that I would never spend another diem there if they didn't take ccare of it for me.
Three days later I got a call from the warranty guyat the dealer wanting to know why I said that on the phone survey. I told him to look at my file and I reminded him how much cash I've sent their way.
Five minutes later he promised to take care of it for me..... the bike goes in this Friday to have the TP bottom swapped out.

I'd go to the warranty guy and tell him the same thing. Keep your cool, be firm, and state your case and what the consequences for them will be..... including telling every biker you know not to buy there.
See what happens.......

Old 03-01-2011 | 07:50 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by street_glider
I hate it when people complain about reading complaint threads >...
It's not so much the "complaint" threads, it's more the constant, never-ending, in many cases unwarranted, bashing of HD.

Originally Posted by Mikekoz13
I rrecently had a problem with my dealer becasue 5 weeks after buying the bike I noticed a long crack in the Tou-Pak near rthe hinge. When the crack isn't pulled apart it is damn near invisible. Two friends I ride with knew it was there and couldn't find it.

The dealer told me no way it would be warranteed on a 5 week old bike with 680 miles on it!

So I called customer sevice and they told me the same. Then I got a customer satisfaction survey phone call on a SUnday afternoon. I told the guy the whole ugly story and how I was pissed about it.
I also told him that I had spent over $40K in 18 months at that dealer and that I would never spend another diem there if they didn't take ccare of it for me.
Three days later I got a call from the warranty guyat the dealer wanting to know why I said that on the phone survey. I told him to look at my file and I reminded him how much cash I've sent their way.
Five minutes later he promised to take care of it for me..... the bike goes in this Friday to have the TP bottom swapped out.

I'd go to the warranty guy and tell him the same thing. Keep your cool, be firm, and state your case and what the consequences for them will be..... including telling every biker you know not to buy there.
See what happens.......
Good for you.

Do you have any concern having the guy that initially told you no way working on your bike? Not that I'd think he'd intentionally screw with you, but I don't think he'll be doing any favors either?

Old 03-01-2011 | 07:53 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Personally, I think if you buy a bike that comes standard with a two-up seat on it and you want to change to a solo, it is your responsibilty to make sure you take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent the two-up seat from inflicting any damage that may be visible when the solo seat is installed.

Now if the dent/scratch/whatever was there when it was new, then that's a different story.

Way too many people blaming HD for their own personal negligence in my opinion.

With all the complaints you read about Harley on this forum, why do any of you even buy them?

I love both of mine. And if they have some little glitch I'll simply fix it myself rather than bad mouth the company of the motorcycles I love.
Yep , my rear fender is scuffed and scratched all to hell under the seat and there is no way I could run a solo seat without it looking like crap but I don't expect HD to buy me a new fender because of normal wear and tear!

Old 03-01-2011 | 08:05 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

You Guys who think this is wrong to COMPLAIN about are IDOITS. The man has an issue and if it seems the WRONG thing to do and complain to the dealer and Company he is absolutly in the RIGHT!
Guys who think that bending down to a corporation is the way to handle any thing like this will be bending over to accept a screwing the rest of their lives.
You must stand up for whats right and whats wrong and he is right.
Thats the problem with this country we bend over for anyone who ask us to, Great just Great guys get out of this country Please and leave it to the people who feel they are right and will pursue all means to get their bikes fixed by the people who made it the wrong way.
Good Luck with your issue.

Old 03-01-2011 | 08:14 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by THABULL
Yep , my rear fender is scuffed and scratched all to hell under the seat and there is no way I could run a solo seat without it looking like crap but I don't expect HD to buy me a new fender because of normal wear and tear!
So this is what I am thinking, my fender has rub marks from the seat and there is no way I could run a solo seat. I am really surprised that HD even put the bulletin out there for a spot that is never seen under normal conditions. What I mean by normal conditions is "stock" conditions. Once you put a solo seat on that bike it is no longer stock.

Let me ask you this, if you decided to take the saddle bags off and run without them, would you be pissed if you found out the saddlebag bracket had rubbed the side of the fender that wasn't visible with the bags on?

Now with that said, HD DID put out the bulletin and it does saw they will fix it, so they should and you have the right to ask them too!!

Last edited by Bowhunter61; 03-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2011 | 08:37 PM
wlibert
Road Captain

Given the TSB, they should fix the OP's damage as HD has recognized the defect publicly.

My seat has rubbed holes through the paint on the fender and the tank under the front portion of the seat. I haven't asked the dealer to fix it and probably won't. I covered the areas with some touch up and then covered the rear fender and area under the tank with some 3m Clearfilm I had laying around.

Frankly, I expected more out of HD given the $25k cost of the bike but it's obvious that my expectations were a little high. I've had the same expectations of car manufacturer's in my high performance car days too, only to realize that nothing man made will remain perfect after use.

Will those expectations keep me from buying another HD, Corvette, or the new Z28 Camaro that is coming? Nope. Again, nothing is perfect nor will it remain that way forever. I just try and limit the damage as best as possible, hold the manufacturer's responsible for defects they admit to, and enjoy the ride from there.

Old 03-01-2011 | 09:00 PM
Damascus
Road Captain

There have been a couple of dented fender/bolt/seat threads in the past.

I agree with the OP and similar views stated.

For Pete's sake, a fender is not supposed to bend, buckle or dent - stock seat, solo seat or toilet seat. What a bunch of nonsense.

HOWEVER, I take this approach with my Harley's (and other vehicles) ...

Love the bike, if not the Company.

Knowing corporate BS for what it is (I've got a story about my old Ford Bronco that would make you sick), I take care of my bike, and that would include buying a right/improved fender myself, because I love my bike and know that most corporations couldn't give a damn after the sale.

When a corporation does come through, I'm pleasantly surprised, but otherwise, I just do it myself and avoid the games when I love a vehicle.

Hope this kinda/sorta helps,
Murph

Old 03-01-2011 | 09:51 PM
BenRK05
Tourer

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
Last fall I noticed a small dent where the back of the seat attaches to the fender. I brought it back to the stealer to see about getting the fender replaced. Dealer refused to help and HD corporate said that if the damage couldn't be seen with the factory seat on they were not going to replace the fender. I mentioned it was visible with a solo seat on the bike and was told sorry but that is not HD's problem. There is a technical bulletin M1273 out on this. I called corporate twice. The second call was to a supervisor and I was told too bad. I sent aletter the CEO and I received a call stating that my letter was received and they still would not make it right.

As far as I'm concerned this is the last new Harley I bought. I will do my best to get my fluids, filters and parts from other places when possible.

Sorry to rant but I'm a little Pissed off. I spent $20k on a bike and due to poor engineering I have a dented fender that HD will not fix.
If you can produce the technical bulletin to back up your claim. You should be able to win your case in small claims court. They have to make it right. Go after the dealer not the corporation.

Old 03-01-2011 | 10:00 PM
steelpony5555
Tourer

Be careful, don't lose your cool. The last time the MoCo pizzed me off I ended up with a Goldwing for a year. Lesson learned..............

Quick Reply: I've had enough HD Bullcrap