Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Point Docking Hardware ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
2010 Raffel Road King
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Point Docking Hardware ?

I went to put on my Tour Pak last night and cracked the bakelite on both rear studs of the docking hardware. Looks like I can get replacements for $8.00 a piece.

Before I try it again, can I get some tips on locking this Tour Pak in place? It seems to be really tight when I go to put it on. ANY help would greatly be appreciated. I don't want to crack 2 more studs. I personally think that's a bad design. Those studs shoud be all metal with a brass bushing instead of bakelite.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest, once you get the tour pak mounted, loosen all of the bolts that fasten the 4 point docking hardware in place. Or loosen the mounting bolts first then mount the tour pak. There seems to be a bit to much slack or tolerance that can allow the docking hardware to create a very tight fit for the tour pak. If you loosen the mounting bolts it should self-adjust.

There has been a few others that have had the same issues.

Last edited by shortride; 03-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shortride
I would suggest, once you get the tour pak mounted, loosen all of the bolts that fasten the 4 point docking hardware in place. Or loosen the mounting bolts first then mount the tour pak. There seems to be a bit to much slack or tolerance that can allow the docking hardware to create a very tight fit for the tour pak. If you loosen the mounting bolts it should self-adjust.

That right there is the best advice you will get! Very simple, very true, very easy. I might go so far as to suggest removing each bolt (1 at a time) to put some new Loctite on them. Snug them up just enough so that they can still move a little, place your TP on, and alternately run the torque up to the desired spec. Either way, Shortride is right on the money.