Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't call it engine 'ticking', but curious...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wouldn't call it engine 'ticking', but curious...

The engine ticking/noise issue has been addressed to death on the Forum, perhaps this is different. I'm interested in any feedback.

First though, picture the sound of a car with noisy lifters. Anybody familiar with hydraulic lifter adjustment on a smallblock Chevy will know what I mean when you back off the rocker arm nut until you get that 'clatter', then tighten until it just goes away. Most already know that sound.

Having said that, when I accelerate I get that clatter sound right as the tach sweeps towards 3000. Starts about 26-2700 and the volume intensity increases right near 3000-3300 where it remains. Hard or soft acceleration doesn't matter, gear doesn't matter. Even a deliberately slow run up the tach to 3K will reproduce it. Obviously at faster speeds the wind noise drowns out much of it. Bikes seem to run fine, but it's prominent enough to get my attention during each shift. Both bikes do it. Black bike seems a little less, but slightly louder exhaust is likely masking it a bit.
RG/96", EG/103", less than 10K on each, synth. oil, frequent changes, no leaks, oil level is spot on, same on hot or cold days & same during first take-off or after hours of riding.
All that to learn if this sound seems indicative of a potential concern. Or, do the newer motors just get 'that' loose in the first year or so and it's just always going to sound like I'm low on oil.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it's pinging, may be a little lean in those throttle positions.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Harley engines are not the quietest engines out there. They all make noises. Over the years, on long rides, I swear I've heard noises from my engine that I've never heard before. Tomorrow it will be different noise. And the next day... And so on and so on and...

85,000 miles later it still runs like it did when it was new.

Cherish those noises your engine makes - It's a Harley.

If the engine's noises make you crazy with concern, there's always Hondas.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Sounds like it's pinging, may be a little lean in those throttle positions.
By the OP's description of the tappet noise, it sounds like he knows the difference between valve train clatter and pinging.

My 2011 has both LOL. Although I've done some work to eliminate/minimize the pinging.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same thing, I would have bet it was valve train noise and it was pinging.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2black1s
By the OP's description of the tappet noise, it sounds like he knows the difference between valve train clatter and pinging.

My 2011 has both LOL. Although I've done some work to eliminate/minimize the pinging.
Thank you, I do know the difference. However, 07FLHT is offering up his experience and thoughts and they're appreciated. As we all know, you never know when one of those experiences might lead you to something.

For 2black1s, yep, definitely not the quietest ones around. Perhaps I'm spoiled by our previous Harley's and those I've serviced. Some are of course just louder than others. The noises I don't usually cherish are the new ones that linger! Could be she's just loosening up a bit and maybe the 96" based motors simply get a lot noisier than the 88's did. Might even try a switch in oil brands.

On a lighter note, I could be like my girl and pay it no serious mind like when she heard a loud bang, looked down for a moment, then told me about it many hours later, which is when we discovered a heavy wheel weight flew off and ruined the fender in many places. Dealer replaced it. "I don't know, it was just a loud bang"! Not a true blonde, but tries!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
luvmussel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing… I am going to tell on myself here. I just put on a new set of 2 into 1’s on. The stock headers came off taking the rear gasket with it and leaving the front one in the head. I had a brain fart and I forgot that I needed to replace the exhausts gaskets. So what I had was an OEM gasket in the front cylinder and no gasket in the rear. Then I had that tick. It sounded like it was in the rear cylinder. Did some research on this form and figured out that I forgot the exhausts gaskets. So I go to the HD shop and get some SE gaskets. When I put them on, I didn’t realize the front OEM gasket was still in the head. The dumb front header gave me a fit tiring to reinstall (With two gaskets in the head). Then this time the tick was in the front cylinder. I finally figured it out that there were two gaskets in the front cylinder. So I took the OEM gasket out of the front and now no tick. After this long story my point is maybe you have an exhausts leak somewhere…

Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
bikehe
Tourer

My bike has something similar too but I just got use to it. Its not pinging or valve train noise and bike runs sweet and only seemed to start doing it since I put the new headers and cams in. My noise sounds like induction noise, not sure if thats the right explanation for it. I thought it might be internal exhaust noise going through the head pipes as mine dosnt sound like anything mechanical but there is a definate knock or thump sound of some sorts. Im glad you threaded this as I'm more curious than concerned

Last edited by bikehe; 03-01-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added cams
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone once told me it was the electronic fuel injection. I can hear mine more when I am trying to accelerate a bit hard when I get to altitude but it soon disappears after riding at higher altitudes. Then it reappears when going down to lower altitudes.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
crankee
Advanced

my bike made same noise when it was hot

Quick Reply: Wouldn't call it engine 'ticking', but curious...