Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean angle degree with kickstand down

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankh
I lowered my 2011 FLTRU one inch, and ended up purchasing a new kickstand 1" shorter than stock. While the lean angle got better, it still isn't what it was when the bike was stock. I may end up bending it.
I hear you Frank, I've got a thousand leads out there trying to come up with some answers. Here what I did do that may help you, I found out if I stand a stock bike up with the kickstand down, there's about an inch or a 1 1/2" clearance between the ground and the bottom of the stand, which means the bike would travel that distant just the the stand to touch the ground which means a little leaning and then the travel of the stand right at the mount with the spring movement to give you stock lean.

Our issue is if we stand our bikes up with even the shorter stand, we have no clearance at all between the stand and the ground which means the bike will only lean as much as the stand will travel at the mount which is about maybe an inch or less, so yes!! we're standing real close to straight up and by all means don't park on a high side.

I'm surprised that HD who sells a lowering kit is not aware of this situation and not offer a mod to get the stock lean back. Got a number for HD I'm calling tomorrow to see if they have a solution.

So there is no wedge for the stand bracket like back in the day and like you said the shorter stand did little or nothing. Bending seem to be the only way out for now, I was a little hesitant about heating the stand up for integrity issues, but I'm told the cooling down procedure is what's important for the integrity, a slow cool for sure to keep them right.

If I here something I'll let you know,there are a bunch of people out there with the same issue, just got to find what the stock lean was first, then go from there.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, for a slightly different approach..............

There was a Service Bulletin for 2009 Touring bikes to address the concern of customers complaining about their bikes leaning over too far. The fix was basically to replace the current wedge with a thicker one. Mine used to lean WAY over, now it's fine.

So, find the wedge that was used BEFORE the fix was done and use that one. The dealer should be able to locate one for you. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a simple matter of the usual part number change HD does, such as 12345-09 vs. 123435-09A. Something like that. Point is, some early '09 bikes were leaning too much and the part being removed will surely fix you up.

Something to consider. I definitely would NOT consider heating & bending the OE stand. You'll weaken the metal, take some tensile strength away. But, it's your bike!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Da Butcher

There was a Service Bulletin for 2009 Touring bikes to address the concern of customers complaining about their bikes leaning over too far. The fix was basically to replace the current wedge with a thicker one. Mine used to lean WAY over, now it's fine.

So, find the wedge that was used BEFORE the fix was done and use that one. The dealer should be able to locate one for you. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a simple matter of the usual part number change HD does, such as 12345-09 vs. 123435-09A. Something like that. Point is, some early '09 bikes were leaning too much and the part being removed will surely fix you up.

Something to consider. I definitely would NOT consider heating & bending the OE stand. You'll weaken the metal, take some tensile strength away. But, it's your bike!
Hey Da Butcher, Thanks for the information, however they changed the bracket, I had a 09 Road King Classic and the 1" front end lowering kit actually came with a kickstand adjustment kit, I think they change the bracket in 2010 and it comes with no kickstand kit as told by my locale dealer.

I've got a number to HD headquarters, so I'm going to give them a call for two reason, the lean situation and to find out what the stock lean angle is for the 2011 RGU, so I can get as close as I can to stock lean. I have talk to some real good metal guys and they all say the key in keeping the tensile strength in the cooling procedure, can't do it too fast and in actuality a very good weld can be stronger than the medal of the stand so there looks as if there are options, of course I wish HD would come up with an official solution.

Stay tune for the ever ending saga

Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced
Default Kinda Fix

So this was what I came up with, after reading all the stuff on some of the 09's leaning to far and the change out of the kickstand bracket that occurred, a light came on. If I could get my hands on one of those old brackets, it would give me some additional lean, mind you the only difference in the two brackets is a 1/8" difference in travel for the stand.

That bulletin (M-1243) for the replacement of the old to new bracket gave me the old bracket part number of 50078-09 but the kicker was that the part number no longer valid and did not show in any parts books,back to square one.

So I thought about modifying the 2011 bracket by grinding back an 1/8" for travel, can't screw with the integrity that much, but before I made that venture I thought I would call the HD customer service (414) 343-4056 just to see if they had a fix, kinda the last resort, well low and behold even though they didn't have an official resolution, they did have some of the old bracket. So the gave me a reference and will be shipping one to the dealer.

Now sure enough I don't think this bracket will give me that 1 1/2" clearence from the ground when standing the bike straight upright and the kickstand down but it will give me the extra movement of the stand to increase the lean. You may still need to be on the lookout for high spots though. I read somewhere that the 1/8" additional will give you an 1 1/2" travel on the other end

I figure if enough people call that have lowered the front end an 1" on 2010-2011 (which HD seem to be OK with) for looks or just to get your feet flat on the ground (like me),they may just come up with a bulletin for a fix just the opposite of what they did for the 09"s.

I've got a picture of the brackets side by side but for the life of me I can't attach it, however if you goggle 09 jiffy stand bracket,you can follow the threads from there, I found them very helpful.

Will all know how this comes out but once again if you're having the no enough lean from lowering to front end 1" CALL the customer service line and let them know.

Out

Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBrainBob
So this was what I came up with, after reading all the stuff on some of the 09's leaning to far and the change out of the kickstand bracket that occurred, a light came on. If I could get my hands on one of those old brackets, it would give me some additional lean, mind you the only difference in the two brackets is a 1/8" difference in travel for the stand.

That bulletin (M-1243) for the replacement of the old to new bracket gave me the old bracket part number of 50078-09 but the kicker was that the part number no longer valid and did not show in any parts books,back to square one.

So I thought about modifying the 2011 bracket by grinding back an 1/8" for travel, can't screw with the integrity that much, but before I made that venture I thought I would call the HD customer service (414) 343-4056 just to see if they had a fix, kinda the last resort, well low and behold even though they didn't have an official resolution, they did have some of the old bracket. So the gave me a reference and will be shipping one to the dealer.

Now sure enough I don't think this bracket will give me that 1 1/2" clearence from the ground when standing the bike straight upright and the kickstand down but it will give me the extra movement of the stand to increase the lean. You may still need to be on the lookout for high spots though. I read somewhere that the 1/8" additional will give you an 1 1/2" travel on the other end

I figure if enough people call that have lowered the front end an 1" on 2010-2011 (which HD seem to be OK with) for looks or just to get your feet flat on the ground (like me),they may just come up with a bulletin for a fix just the opposite of what they did for the 09"s.

I've got a picture of the brackets side by side but for the life of me I can't attach it, however if you goggle 09 jiffy stand bracket,you can follow the threads from there, I found them very helpful.

Will all know how this comes out but once again if you're having the no enough lean from lowering to front end 1" CALL the customer service line and let them know.

Out
Called the number listed. they were NO help at all and would not even try to understand this issue. Do you have a part number for the old style bracket so I could maybe try to order one form the dealer?

Last edited by diggerv; 05-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher

Thank you guys for this thread. It's quite an eye opener.

I swapped on 2009 RK for my 2011 RK and it seemed that the 2011 did not lean as far as the 2009 had. I have been afraid (same as the OP) that it (the 2011) stood too upright and would be too easy to trip over

Now I've learned that the 2009 probably leaned too far and that the lean of my 2011 is OK and I don't need to worry about it

Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Davis HD in Burlington NC hooked me up!!! They had a bracket from where they had installed the newer version sitting around in the back somewhere. They gave it to me! That's right, zero cost. I bought a shirt from them and a couple of other things I needed. Great people! Stop by if you are in the area. http://www.davishd.com/

I'm pretty sure this will fix my lean problem.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:01 AM
Dennis Bigica
Stage I

Originally Posted by BigBrainBob
I hear you Frank, I've got a thousand leads out there trying to come up with some answers. Here what I did do that may help you, I found out if I stand a stock bike up with the kickstand down, there's about an inch or a 1 1/2" clearance between the ground and the bottom of the stand, which means the bike would travel that distant just the the stand to touch the ground which means a little leaning and then the travel of the stand right at the mount with the spring movement to give you stock lean.

Our issue is if we stand our bikes up with even the shorter stand, we have no clearance at all between the stand and the ground which means the bike will only lean as much as the stand will travel at the mount which is about maybe an inch or less, so yes!! we're standing real close to straight up and by all means don't park on a high side.

I'm surprised that HD who sells a lowering kit is not aware of this situation and not offer a mod to get the stock lean back. Got a number for HD I'm calling tomorrow to see if they have a solution.

So there is no wedge for the stand bracket like back in the day and like you said the shorter stand did little or nothing. Bending seem to be the only way out for now, I was a little hesitant about heating the stand up for integrity issues, but I'm told the cooling down procedure is what's important for the integrity, a slow cool for sure to keep them right.

If I here something I'll let you know,there are a bunch of people out there with the same issue, just got to find what the stock lean was first, then go from there.
fyi guys...did this yesterday.my chopper came with the wedge in it it has the 4 bolts holding the kickstand on. it still had the straight up stance. you can try putting 2 wedge plates in, but this is what I did. got 2 longer bolts and lock nuts, put them in with over size nuts as spacers. results are a 2 in lean angle, by putting in the spacers. It was a cheap fix. hope you all can try it...it really worked. could solve your angle proble too.. cost me less than 2 bucks from home depot.