Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM
DarceyE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My feeling exactly. Bought the AMP and the 7.25 on 1-24-11 from Dr V. Nothing of this improved design ever mentioned. Now the old "Sticky Link" with 30 pages and 1 year of info is no longer a Sticky...only the new design is a "Sticky". The improved design not only handles the power better, it has an improved midrange drive and tweeter.

Yes, I would have waited and paid a little more...Had I known.

There has been plenty of talk about the new 500 Watt AMP with lower speakers and I decided I did not need that and did not wait for it.

So I too have to ask: "Why wasn't this info put out when I bought the regulars"?

Originally Posted by VETERAN75
Ain't that some crap. I just bought some JM 7.25 late Jan early fen and installed now I see this about a more powerful one made for use with amp. That's what I want since I have an amp. Why wasn't this info put out when I bought the regulars.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
685power
Intermediate

Im with you DARCEYE.I put mine in (J&M amp and 7.25's) a week ago.I am very disapointed in the sound quality and will probably buy other speakers this week.I understand that technoligy advances and could live with the fact there will always be something better coming along.But I dont know if my speakers are defective or they really sound that bad.Cant wait to put something else in and hear the difference.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 PM
DarceyE
Intermediate

I am not saying mine sound bad. The 7.25 do sound better than the stock speakers. My concern is I feel like I got last years model, when there is a new model only a month later. Had I known these were coming, I would have waited to make buy. You're right, there is always a new model coming...I just wish it would have been discussed before the release.

Originally Posted by 685power
Im with you DARCEYE.I put mine in (J&M amp and 7.25's) a week ago.I am very disapointed in the sound quality and will probably buy other speakers this week.I understand that technoligy advances and could live with the fact there will always be something better coming along.But I dont know if my speakers are defective or they really sound that bad.Cant wait to put something else in and hear the difference.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Veteran75 ,,,,, DarceyE ,.,,,

the standard 7.25" speakers that J&M has offered for the past 1 1/2 years, sound GREAT with J&M's 250w amplifier ,,,, nothing out there that I have heard compares ,,, even Shawn at Dr V-twin has told us that, and he should know more than anyone ,,,, he has sold and installed just about every brand in this category ,,,,,

the NEW ROKKER 7.25" speakers from J&M give you the same good sound as the standards, along with a voice coil that will handle even higher power levels, a voice coil that is vented for better cooling & durability, higher-output midrange and tweeter drivers on the grill ,,,, and a more accurate passive crossover network, to distribute the mids and highs to them ,,,,,

the new J&M ROKKERs simply give the rider ANOTHER choice in top-quality J&M fairing speakers for their Harley ,,,,,,, and I apologize for not letting everyone know about them farther in advance ,,,,

The new ROKKERS are NOT replacing the current J&M 7.25" speakers, just offering another option ,,,,, right now here in Daytona Beach, we have sold and installed around 47 sets of fairing speakers since last Friday here at the J&M trailer, & 4 out of those 47 customers have chosen the new 7.25" ROKKER series ,,,,

as for the old STICKY thread being replaced ,,,,, the moderator on this board thought it would be a good idea, since the other thread was around 1.5 years old and getting a bit overweight, with over 1,200 posts and 120,000 views ,,,,

685power ,,,,,,

I am sorry that you are disappointed ,,,,,,,

the J&M 7.25" speakers with the J&M amp are THE best sounding speaker/amp combination that we have heard, so please tell me more about your install, whether or not you adjusted the gain controls on the amp, and what you are using for a music source ,,,,,

Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
airbike
Advanced

Hi JMJohn,

I bought the 7.25” speakers and 250W amp for my 2010 Streetglide from Dr.Vtwin late December or early January. I’ve only been able to put several hundred miles on since because of the weather, etc.

This isn’t a bashing post; I could tell you put a lot of thought into the kit when I installed it. I liked the bracket and the way the connectors are designed to fit one way to prevent miss wiring.

The speakers are clear and I haven’t heard them distort yet. They do seem to lack some bass and I understand they’re not in an ideal location to produce it.

I posted just after I installed it and advised I had to use AVC to hear the music well while riding. You responded later that AVC should not be used because of the possibility of distortion. I haven’t used it since.

While parked in my 30’x40’ echo shop the music sounds very good. When on the road I’m finding that I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear the music and even then wish for more volume, as it’s still hard to hear. The amp appears to be operating ok as the green light is steady and I hear it turn on with the stereo.

For reference I have a good windshield, a D&D Fatcat with quiet baffle and nothing else has been changed since adding the speakers and amp. I used to hear the music ok with the stock speakers and no amp although I did use AVC then.

Last weekend, I double checked all the connections and then disconnected and bypassed the amp to see how it would sound because I hadn’t heard the 7.25” speakers without the amp. To be honest there was not very much difference going down the road. I actually have to turn the volume up a little higher than without the amp to hear the same volume level although the sound is just a little stronger with the amp.

Is it possible the amp settings need some adjustment? I haven’t touched them as I don’t want to blow the speakers or the warranty. I appreciate any help or advice you can provide.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
685power
Intermediate

John,thanks for the concern,and please know that I understand that bigger and better products come along everyday.Im actually glad that you are striving for improvements and coming out with new ideas.Also know that I am not a techno,audio,high tech gaget kind of guy.I replaced the factory system because it just didnt sound good and thats coming from a guy that just want to hear his music going down the road.Im not expecting concert hall performance or $5000 audio investment results.
I actually replaced my head unit (Sony DSX-S100 ) and added your 7.25s and your amp.I did like how easy the install was with all the plug and play wiring.I did not touch the settings on the amp as I have no idea as to what they do.Again I am not an audio geek (no offense to those who are, as I wish I was a little more audio savey) I just want to jam going down the road.Nothing tricky!
As for how mine sounds,I guess it just sounds tiny,and not very crisp/clear.Thanks in advance-AL

Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
ScreamingEag1e
Cruiser

John,thanks for the concern,and please know that I understand that bigger and better products come along everyday.Im actually glad that you are striving for improvements and coming out with new ideas.Also know that I am not a techno,audio,high tech gaget kind of guy.I replaced the factory system because it just didnt sound good and thats coming from a guy that just want to hear his music going down the road.Im not expecting concert hall performance or $5000 audio investment results.
I actually replaced my head unit (Sony DSX-S100 ) and added your 7.25s and your amp.I did like how easy the install was with all the plug and play wiring.I did not touch the settings on the amp as I have no idea as to what they do.Again I am not an audio geek (no offense to those who are, as I wish I was a little more audio savey) I just want to jam going down the road.Nothing tricky!
As for how mine sounds,I guess it just sounds tiny,and not very crisp/clear.Thanks in advance-AL
From the Sony Specs for your head unit...
Output Power : 52W x4 Watts Max Power - CEA2006 Standard Power Output: 17 Watts RMS per channel into 4 Ohms, 4 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 1% THD+N.

Your matching 2 Ohm speakers with a 4 Ohm head unit. That's why it sounds like crap.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
685power
Intermediate

SE thanks for the info.I dont know anything about audio equipment.I bought the sony at biketronics and told them about my J&M speakers and amp.What do I need to do to sound good.Thanks again for your knowledge.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 PM
ScreamingEag1e
Cruiser

SE thanks for the info.I dont know anything about audio equipment.I bought the sony at biketronics and told them about my J&M speakers and amp.What do I need to do to sound good.Thanks again for your knowledge.
There may be some amp settings that will correct that, and I will let John handle that if it is the case. I don't have the Amp (yet).

You probably don't want to hear this, but I would put the HK head unit back in and see if you like how it sounds with the J&M components now. I think the HK is basically as good as most head units, it's the stock speakers that suck.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonerider31
How do these differ from the regular 7.25's which I just purchased but have not put on my bike? Did I buy the wrong product?
Ya me too ! - im peed'd off ... wont install mine for another month.. bought in Feb 2011... can i trade in my new 7.25;'s for the new rockers ?
Bought mine from Dr. V-Twin... Damm !!!...

Last edited by papifun; 03-06-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w