Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Chip ,,,,,,

I understand your frustration ,,,,,,,,,,,

To put it simply, the J&M amplifier will switch off ((cut in and out)) in response to low voltage detection ,,,,,, and it’s power-up sequence occurs when you turn on the key and then again when you start the bike ,,,,,,,

If there is a voltage problem at either one of these cycles the amplifier will cut out, and stay out, till power is removed from the orange turn-on wire and then re-applied ,,,, as the Harley HK radio, does NOT have a dedicated amplifier activation wire ,,,,,,

So Dr V-twin is asking you to move the ground wire around JUST in case your particular motorcycle is putting thru a voltage spike (up or down)) during the start procedure, ,,,,,,

Of ALL the Harleys I have owned and ridden with the J&M amps during the last 3 years ,,, I have never had this issue even once ,,,,,,

However a few other riders here in the USA have had the exact issue you are describing, so it does occur, but I have yet to nail down EXACTLY why ,,,,,,,

We have sold many THOUSANDS of J&M amplifiers for Harley’s over the last 3 years ,,,,, and this problem is a somewhat rare occurrence ,,,

In summary ,,,,, I can send you a new fuse holder today, to replace the fuse holder on your main harness, without having to pull the tank off, JUST IN CASE there is some kind of intermittent problem with the fuse holder ,,,,,, a bad fuse holder CAN cause the problem you are describing ,,,,,

I can replace your amplifier with a new one anytime you have an opportunity to remove it and send it to us ,,,,,,, ((you can also upgrade to the ROKKER series speakers at the time when you have the fairing off)))

I would like to ask one dumb question though ,,,,, how old is the battery in your Harley ? ,,,,,,

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
chipofsc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving the ground wire to under the large tank bolt at the rear of the tank has helped. It was cutting out everyother start and not it has only cout off once in about 20 starts. I'm hoping this is the answer cause I sure don't want to take the system back off.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

your battery MAY also be getting a little old and MIGHT be contributing to the problem ,,,,

the battery is fairly cheap and easy to change on the Harley ,,,, so even if that is not the issue, batteries more than a couple of years old can fail at any time ,,

Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 PM
captdave221
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 Ultra with the H-D Boom speakers and amp which is mounted under the tour pack. Will installing the 7.25 Rokker speakers in the fairing really give me an improvement in sound quality at 65 - 80 mph?

In other words is it worth the $350 for the upgrade since I don't have the 500w amp or speakers in the fairing lowers?

Last edited by captdave221; 08-27-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Capt Dave ,,,,

absolutely ,,, the speaker size increase alone when switching to the J&M 7.25" ROKKER series speakers will increase the amount and volume of sound that reaches your ears, when riding on the highway ,,,,,,

get a pair of THESE http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....252GTM-T&PF=45 ,,,,, you will hear the difference the minute you get them installed ,,,,

The Harley amplifier is also a pretty good amp, and is a significant improvement over what is available from the stock HK radio ,,,,,, it will drive the J&M ROKKER series speakers very well and you will appreciate the increase in both audio volume and fidelity ,,,,

Old 08-27-2011, 02:42 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Harley Bagger Audio System Amplifier Set-up

The audio system listening environment on your Harley Bagger is quite different from your auto or home system.

When listening to music inside your home, apartment or automobile, you might crank the music up quite loud at times to enjoy your favorite sound tracks, but usually not too high, to a point that the music distorts, because unless you have had a “few too many”, the music just plain sounds BAD when turned up to high distortion levels.

Distortion is what damages a speaker, not necessarily high power levels. You can connect a speaker with a 50w max power rating to a 250w per channel amplifier, and if you don’t crank it up to high distortion levels, it will play just fine for many years.

Conversely, you can take a speaker rated at 250w max power and connect it to a 100w per channel amplifier, and if you crank it up to high distortion levels for hours on end, the speaker will be damaged or blown in a short amount of time.

On your Harley, when listening to music on the highway, especially at high speeds, it is impossible for most riders to be able to actually hear when the volume is cranked up too high, to a point where the music is distorting,,,, we just ride down the road happily listening to very loud distorted music, hour after hour and then wonder why in the hell our speakers and/or amplifier are damaged in a short amount of time.

This distorted listening scenario on your Harley would be equivalent to sitting down in your living room, turning on your 1000w Macintosh powered 5.1 Dolby digital surround sound system, with twin JBL towers, powered separate subwoofer, and cranking the volume to maximum on the dial, pushing all speakers way up to high distortion levels ,,,, then walking out of your house for a couple of hours, only to come back and see what is left of your audio system and speakers.

This is exactly what many of us are doing to our Harley Bagger audio systems.

THEN you have to go thru the hassle of taking your fairing off, diagnosing what is blown-up or damaged, getting replacement parts from the various manufacturers, (some under warranty, some not) reinstalling everything, only to go out and do the same thing all over again!

Now I think I am just like all of you ,,,, I want THE BEST possible performance out of my Harley Bagger audio system, period. I thoroughly enjoy my favorite music while I ride and if I want it loud, I want it loud, regardless of how fast or slow I am going.

To accomplish this without burning the system down every time you ride at high speeds, it is absolutely essential that the amplifier gain adjustments, on your high powered audio amplifier are properly set.

Use the guidelines below for the J&M Corporation brand high-powered amplifiers for the Harley Bagger audio systems. ((these guidelines may also apply to other brands of audio amplifiers used on your Harley))

You want to first adjust the amplifier gain controls to minimum, bass boost (if equipped) set to minimum, crossover switch to the FULL position.

Then slide a good commercially recorded CD into your radio, (Harley HK or automotive type replacement) and crank up the volume to maximum ,,,,, as far as it will go.

“IF” you get distortion on the song track BEFORE you are able to crank the handlebar volume to maximum, you will need obtain the correct HK-Radio-to-RCA jack, isolated input signal adapter from J&M before you can continue, so that you will have a useable range of control on the gain adjustments of the amplifier.

If you are using an automotive type replacement radio in your Harley, make sure that you are connected to the amplifier, using a direct RCA-to-RCA jack cable harness.

Then, with the handlebar volume adjusted to maximum, without hearing distortion, carefully adjust & increase the amplifier gain controls for each channel, to a point “right-before” distortion is heard, but not any further.

This way you will be able to crank the music volume all the way up to maximum on the highway if you want to, without worrying about damage to your speakers or amplifier.

With the amplifier gain controls adjusted in this manner, you will also be able to fully utilize the AVC control on the Harley HK radio.

I am available most days of the week, at John@Jmcorp.com if you need assistance/recommendations when building or tuning the audio system on your Harley Bagger.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:14 AM
QS78
Tourer

John,

I have installed 2 complete kits of your 7.25" speakers including your Amp for two of my customers in my country and this was after promoting your pruducts by my self as I kept reading good reviews in this forum. Sorry to say this but the sound quality was not really to the expectation in both bikes !! but they are loud enough. I know we have to be realistic but for the amount of money invested, we did not get the return !!

now im planning to get a complete system for my own bike and really dunno whether to take the risk with your rokker apeakers !!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

John,
I rode the bike yesterday for about 300 miles making 5 or 6 stops. The amp failed to power up twice. The battery starts the bike fine with very little drag. I don't want to spend 180.00 for a battey not knowing if this is the problem. How about replacing the power wire from the amp to the battery first? Looks like the cheapest start before returning the amp.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM
SinCityJets
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QS78
John,

I have installed 2 complete kits of your 7.25" speakers including your Amp for two of my customers in my country and this was after promoting your pruducts by my self as I kept reading good reviews in this forum. Sorry to say this but the sound quality was not really to the expectation in both bikes !! but they are loud enough. I know we have to be realistic but for the amount of money invested, we did not get the return !!

now im planning to get a complete system for my own bike and really dunno whether to take the risk with your rokker apeakers !!
yah, we read that the first time when you posted the exact same thing on 8/24/11. If you are trying to get something, just ask for it. Otherwise, no real need to keep posting the same negative post.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 AM
QS78
Tourer

Originally Posted by SinCityJets
yah, we read that the first time when you posted the exact same thing on 8/24/11. If you are trying to get something, just ask for it. Otherwise, no real need to keep posting the same negative post.
calm down dude.

yes im trying to get few words from John make me feel like throwing the $$ to get the speakers !!

Quick Reply: NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w