Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

By the way... the J&M guys at the J&P Open House was Thomas and Nick. Both were very helpful and knowledgeable. I just found my J&M catalog and saw their pictures in there.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:27 PM
AegisII
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckHunter
John,
I have recently had problems with my amp just shutting off if I turn up the volume over half way. What is strange is if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, it works again. Just shutting off and on the stereo does nothing, I have to turn the ignition off. I have had this amp and speakers setup on my 2010 Ultra since May with no problems at all till just recently. In fact, I just got back from a 3500 mile trip and this never happened once. Your tech support and Shawn at Dr VTwin recommended moving the ground and I have done that but it still seems to have that problem. Can I contact you directly to discuss this? I have emailed you but have not received any response yet. Please PM me or send me an email at buckhunter91870@gmail.com with your contact info.

Thanks,
Scott
I am having the same problem, I was delivered goods by Fed Ex at 2:00pm on Friday and had my install done by midnight. I installed the 7.25 fairing speakers, the 500 watt amp and the lowers with speakers.... I am impressed with the sound, but my first trip today at high volume it cut out for about 15 minutes, then came back on. I thought my speaker harness had came apart under the fairing until it came back on. You guys finding it is a bad ground?. Any help appreciated and I will follow this thread.
John I am at oldetowne@a2mail.net

On edit, I went back and read post #220 I will check all these items.
Thanks
Griz

Last edited by AegisII; 08-21-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Read post #220
Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

AegisII ,,,,,

very sorry that you are having problems ,,,,,,,

can you tell me exactly where you grounded the amplifier ? ,,,,,,,,

also ,,, when you have the seat off, pull the fuse out of the main power wire to the amp and inspect the fuse holder contacts spades down inside and see if you see any problems or if the fuse is loose in the holder with cap ,,,,

I will help you figure this out ,,,,,

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM
AegisII
Intermediate

John thanks,

I have purchased many things from you through the years.
I started buying your products when I first bought my 1990 E glide classic, four bikes later I just put the Rokker system on my 08. I like it.
As per instructions;
I ground the main wire on the rear ground post just to the rear of the tank under the seat. two posts appear to be where the grounds attach, I removed the nut and put the ring on top of the other two wires on that post and retightened.
I will check the fuse contacts tomorrow.

Thanks again

Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM
chipofsc
Cruiser

I purchased the standard 7.25 speakers by mistake. I thought I was buying the rockers but that was not what I got. I did get the 250W amp and it was a rocker. I love the sound and it even sounds great at 70 MPH. I too was having problem with the amp losing power when I started the bike but I had the ground wire on the battery. I changed it to the frame and so far it has not cut off yet. Still I think the system sound great. Maybe I don't know what a good system sounds like but I happy.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
AegisII
Intermediate

Checked all items in post 220, checked amp main fuse connection, checked ground, it is on the frame post that also serves the battery ground, checked avc, it is turned off, checked intercom it is turned off. I am thinking it over heated? I hope this will not be ongoing.
I will ride it again and test it out.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

AegisII ,,,,,,

I want to send you a new main fuse holder anyway ,,,,,

send me a private email with your mailing address and I will get one right in the mail for you ,,,,

it is the fuse holder located by the battery, piece of cake to change ,,,,

very sorry for the hassles here ,,,

Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

Well I thought I had the problem fixed but it is still doing it. I moved the ground to the frame and wraped a wire tie on the fuse holder checked all the connections still it wont power up when starting the engine. Turn the engine off and back on it will work and keep working during the ride. Hope J&M can find the problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM
QS78
Tourer

John,

I have installed 2 complete kits of your 7.25" speakers including your Amp for two of my customers in my country and this was after promoting your pruducts by my self as I kept reading good reviews in this forum. Sorry to say this but the sound quality was not really to the expectation in both bikes !! but they are loud enough. I know we have to be realistic but for the amount of money invested, we did not get the return !!

now im planning to get a complete system for my own bike and really dunno whether to take the risk with your rokker apeakers !!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chipofsc
Well I thought I had the problem fixed but it is still doing it. I moved the ground to the frame and wraped a wire tie on the fuse holder checked all the connections still it wont power up when starting the engine. Turn the engine off and back on it will work and keep working during the ride. Hope J&M can find the problem.
try this to solve ure problem.. with the fairing off... power the radio on... wiggle the main power cable going into the AMP and see if the Green POWER LED on the AMP flickers... if it does.... you have a internal wiring problem... then reset power (Off/ON) and play a tune.. try again but wiggle the connector from Amp that is conencted to the Main Harness you have going to the Battery... I have had issues with both . My ground is connected to the radio Chassis... I dont think u need to go directly to the GND of the Battery but it is always best... i feel that if the AMP will have any voltage disruprions it will shutdown into protection mode or any variance in Source voltage will cause amp to shut down... just my 2c and experience with my unit... J&M has provided great service and support, i think they need to weed out some minor issues though.. as for sound.. i can't see why some say its not what expected... compared to Stock - night and Day... it does sound better with a CD or External high quality music player but with Radio -- i find it doesnt like any distoration or a near perfect FM signal, so when u crank it up.. the abnormalities get amplifed too... is it over priced.. well.. i have my comments to that... and as everyone mentions... SOUND is different to everyone's ears... all depends ure expectations vs price i guess...

ride safe... another note.. let me know or others on this forum what u find... it can be helpfull to all...
cheers.

Quick Reply: NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w