Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a little lengthy read, but some good input from me... an honest consumer who was just tired of looking for a system, and repeatedly being disappointed by the findings and inaccurate, mixed reviews.

Being like many of us on here, I have to budget the extra cash to spend on my bike. As we all know the moco leaves a lot to be desired on the factory sound systems. So after seeing many folks post mixed reviews about the various sound upgrades, I was very apprehensive of what to buy. I didn't want to buy one system or product, then only be unsatisified with it and wanting to purchase something else. There's nothing more discouraging to those on a tight budget, than to realize you just purchased something that doesn't live up to your expectations, or the manufacturer's claims of expectations.

Anyways... I discovered that J&M was going to be at the annual J&P Cycles Open House, so I planned the 175 mile ride (each way!) to specifically talk firsthand to a live person, from J&M. I endured the rain for a couple hours to arrive, and found them tucked in a quiet corner. I don't recall the names of the two J&M reps that were onsite, but after a twenty minute conversation and hearing the Rokker system on the display bike, I was immediately sold. I'll admit, it's not the most inexpensive sound system for our bikes, but it's not the most expensive either. I'd much rather spend a little more initially, to get the best possible product, and not have to settle for a an inferior system, or buy another replacement. And this applies to all things bike related, not just the stereo.

The Rokker system clearly and immediately sounded better than any of the other systems I've scoured over for the past 18 months. I've heard many different systems on other bikes over that time, and many of the owners were dissatisified, after spending HUNDREDS of dollars on the competitior's systems.

So, I immediately decided to buy the 7.25 Rokkers and appropriate amp! Finally, after months of research and reviews! I couldn't fit the boxes in my tour pak, so I opted to have them shipped to the house. J&P was a little slow getting them to me, but they finally arrived. I don't yet have them installed because I just returned from a business trip that lasted more then two weeks, and the inner and outer fairings are both coming off this weekend for new paint. But I can assure you, after firsthand hearing the same system on the J&M/J&P bike, I can't wait to hear these new Rokkers and amp cranking out from my freshly painted fairing.

Thanks J&M, for finally making the ultimate bolt-on, plug-and-play system for our baggers!

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 07-28-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

wannaride ,,,,

thank you again for the vote of confidence ,,,,,,

please contact me anytime by email during the installation process if you have any questions ,,,,,

BTW ,,, we will be releasing a new ROKKER II video next week, (just in time for Sturgis) which shows the J&M 2011 RoadGlide Ultra with a beautiful 6-speaker, 500w audio system, ((7.25" in the fairing, 7.25" in the lowers & 5.25" ROKKERS in the rear pods)) ,,,,

it is THE most impressive audio system I have heard to date on a Harley (or ANY motorcycle) ,,,,,,, it is very intense, good bass, good mids and crystal clear highs ,,,,

the system is so impressive that were are going to have an audio system performance contest at the J&M trailer, parked at Black Hills HD in Rapid City, during the Sturgis rally ,,,,

anyone can bring their bike to the trailer during business hours, we will use the identical J&M demo CD for the test and evaluation by any customers that are around ,,,,

if any system performs better (in the majority opinion of the bystanders) than J&M's ROKKER II, we will give them a $100 credit toward the purchase of any J&M audio product ,,,,

Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN

if any system performs better (in the majority opinion of the bystanders) than J&M's ROKKER II, we will give them a $100 credit toward the purchase of any J&M audio product ,,,,
Make it a $ 1,000 and I'll make the trip !!!..........

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

HAA ,,, Glacierpearl, you are baiting me ! ,,,,

in all seriousness, as with anything in life, no matter how fast your bike is, how pretty your lady is, or how good your audio system sounds, someone somewhere always has one better ,,

Having said that, those of you who do stop by the J&M audio trailer during the Sturgis Rally ((in the parking lot at Black Hills HD in Rapid City)) can see and hear for yourself just how cool the 6-speaker 500w J&M system sounds on our 2011 RoadGlide Ultra ,,,,

great looking Blue color too ,,,,,,,,,

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Best performing J&M audio system yet, J&M's 2011 RoadGlide Ultra ROKKER II ,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/user/JMcorpMo...o?feature=mhum ,,,,

Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 PM
BuckHunter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROKKER Amp problems

John,
I have recently had problems with my amp just shutting off if I turn up the volume over half way. What is strange is if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, it works again. Just shutting off and on the stereo does nothing, I have to turn the ignition off. I have had this amp and speakers setup on my 2010 Ultra since May with no problems at all till just recently. In fact, I just got back from a 3500 mile trip and this never happened once. Your tech support and Shawn at Dr VTwin recommended moving the ground and I have done that but it still seems to have that problem. Can I contact you directly to discuss this? I have emailed you but have not received any response yet. Please PM me or send me an email at buckhunter91870@gmail.com with your contact info.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM
toxic donkey
Cruiser

I installed the rokker 7.25 set with 250w amp in my road glide custom a couple weeks ago . This was my first mod to my first Harley. Installation was straight forward. Getting the outer fairing back on took some time as the amp had a little pressure on it but I made it work. At first I could not get the amp to function and the green led would blink as it was in some sort of protection mode. After troubleshooting with a meter I determined that I didnt have a good ground on the main 12v harness. I had put the wire on the frame where the directions said to and even scratched the paint off the frame at the point where i did so. I subsequently moved the the ground to the ground post on the battery and of course everything worked fine. Now I see in a post from jmjohn that this should never be done. Why not? Even if i go back and attatch the ground to the frame where the battery post is attatched to the frame... this is "electrically" the same point. So why the big "never" ? With this said I road from Nashville to Huntsville Dragway last sunday, 2 hours each way. The system performed flawlessly and sounded great. I do wish for more bass but I know I cant get that until I put something in the bags. that will be a winter project.

Last edited by toxic donkey; 08-06-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckHunter
John,
I have recently had problems with my amp just shutting off if I turn up the volume over half way. What is strange is if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, it works again. Just shutting off and on the stereo does nothing, I have to turn the ignition off. I have had this amp and speakers setup on my 2010 Ultra since May with no problems at all till just recently. In fact, I just got back from a 3500 mile trip and this never happened once. Your tech support and Shawn at Dr VTwin recommended moving the ground and I have done that but it still seems to have that problem. Can I contact you directly to discuss this? I have emailed you but have not received any response yet. Please PM me or send me an email at buckhunter91870@gmail.com with your contact info.

Thanks,
Scott
Buckhunter.. i had same issue...read my post above.. i think your problem is from power connector from amp to main harness.. i find quality of contact not very reliable...pm me and i can give some trouble shooting ideas while your faring is off..

Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
BuckHunter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by papifun
Buckhunter.. i had same issue...read my post above.. i think your problem is from power connector from amp to main harness.. i find quality of contact not very reliable...pm me and i can give some trouble shooting ideas while your faring is off..
Papifun,
Thanks for the response. I have been talking through email with John and I think I have narrowed it down to a ground issue. I have moved it to a bolt on the frame and now I have only had it cut out a couple of times and it was only for a short time, then it came back without having to cycle the power. I plan to relocate the ground again to where the battery is grounding to and see if that fixes it for good.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Ghostrider 6
Advanced
Talking

Need to consider these........

Quick Reply: NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w