Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey John and others with this system-

I'd like an honest answer to my question- My Road Glide originally had Hogtune speakers and amp, and I upgraded the speakers to the J&M 7.25 (last years model), and kept the Hogtunes amp. Big improvement, little to no distortion even when cranked, not much bass, but good highs and decent mids.

What I want to know is this-will the new Rokker 7.25's and the J&M 250w amp provide much of an upgrade over what I have?

Why would this be a better upgrade than the Hawg Wired top-of-the-line 2 speaker system with amp? If so, how is this J&M system better?

I ask because if I upgrade again, I want it to be the last time.

My goal would be a bit more volume on the highway, and maybe a bit more bass if possible.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

NorthStar ,,,,,

I can certainly understand that you would like it to be THE LAST audio upgrade you will ever need to make ,,,,, but I am not sure that us Harley riders are wired that way ? ,,,,,

you understand "" Moore's Law """" right ? ,,,, (((some is good, more is better ? )))) ,,,,,,

that certainly applies here ,,,,,

the J&M ROKKER series 7.25" speaker upgrade, together with the J&M 250w 2-channle amp, will give you MORE volume at high speeds and MORE bass response than with the speakers and amp that you have now ,,,, and MORE than anything else I have heard in the marketplace today ,,,,

will it be enough ? ,,,,, that is for you to decide ,,,,,,

I work every day of the year at J&M, and work every day of the year to make our products, better and better all the time ,,,,

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
soflafltri06
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will I get good sound with the regular 7.25 inch speakers and the 250 watt amp??

Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Papifun ,,,,,,

What can cause the sound to cut out when using a J&M amplifier ? ,,,,, after selling and installing them into thousands of Harleys since their introduction 2 years ago ,,,, I can share my experience with the forum members in this area ,,,,,

1 ,,,,, if you are playing the external speakers LOUD and you have the driver/passenger intercom feature of the audio system activated, ((all Ultra’s have this intercom activated from the factory)) turn the intercom portion of the system OFF ,,,,,,

2 ,,,, If the amplifier's internal temperature exceeds it's programed limits, it will shut down till it cools off ,,,,,,,

causes of overheating can be as simple as riding across the Mohave desert, with the sound playing wide open, with outside temperatures at 120 degrees F,,,, to leaving the AVC on, which can drive the whole system way up into distortion for hours on end at high speeds,((which is bad for everything)),,,,,,, to a set of speakers that are going bad, (any brand) with voice coils heating up and shorting out ,,,,,

3 ,,,,, improper connections to the motorcycle electrical system, especially in the area of frame grounding ,,,,, we are currently upgrading ALL of our amplifier installation instruction sheets to reflect the following new procedures in this area ,,,,,

Make sure that the amplifier’s main power wire is connected to the positive battery post ,,,,,,

Make sure that the amplifier’s main ground wire is bolted to the FRAME at the EXACT location that the battery is grounded to the frame ((no other frame attachment location for this ground wire can be considered a good ground, DONOT connect this ground wire to the negative battery post)) ,,,,,,,

Switch the connection location for the amplifier turn-on wire (orange) from the back of the cigarette lighter to the accessory wire in the headlight harness ,,,,

4 ,,,,, modifying the J&M plug-n-play connection harnesses & altering the impedance that the amplifier sees, below the minimum of 2 ohms ,,,,,,

In summary, the J&M amplifiers are THE MOST POWERFUL amplifiers available for your Harley ,,,, but they are not all perfect, things can happen, systems can be abused over the long term which contributes to a shorter life for all components ,,,,,

what you can count on is J&M's warranty & customer service, in the unlikely event something should go wrong ,,,, we have been doing this for 34 years ,,,
TO BEGIN - HAPPY JULT 4TH TO ALL USA FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

JM - i finally found the issue with my amp. I have emailed Dr.V-twin and i was replied that they do not do warranty claims as of Jan 1 2011.
I purchased my amp and 7.25 speakers from Dr. V-Twin sometime Feb 2011 just before the ROCKERS came out... my initail problem was amp would shut down, i would let it cool off and then it would be ok as above. I did take ure advice and finally opened my fairing up to troubleshoot the issue.
i verified all wiring to be ok... just a note.. im a electrical service engineer for medical equipment... the problem is the power cable (RED&BLACK) that goes into the amp when wiggled around cause bad contact and once the amp see's a disturbance of voltage it goes into protection mode and only way to get it back on was to cycle power to amp on/off/on.. I do not want to open the amp since its on warranty... now.. how do i go about getting it repaired or exchanged.. i live in Canada... i am leaving in 2 weeks for my Cabot Trail ride with my bike.. can u help ? i can have amp sent via FED-EX for next day.. what is my turn around time for a replacement ?
i cannot find my original reciept.. i can include my address and i am sure Dr-Vtwin can confirm my purchase. if you include an email. i can send you photos and point directly where the problem is..

Last edited by papifun; 07-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

papifun ,,,,,,

very sorry for the problems and the intermittent power/ground wire connection on the amplifier ,,,,,,

we are sending you a new amplifier kit on Tuesday, along with a J&M 7.25" ROKKER speaker upgrade kit, for you to install, while you have the fairing open ,,,,,

we appreciate good customers such as yourself, and please let us know anytime that we can help ,,,,

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

the J&M 7.25" ROKKERs are the LIGHTEST of all the hot-snot speaker upgrades for your Harley and also the BEST PERFORMING ,,,,,,

I don't want to sound like a broken record, or your favorite traveling salesman, but I have had a new Ultra every year since 1989, and the J&M 7.25" ROKKER series speakers are THE BEST performing speakers I have ever heard in the Harley bagger fairings, for both RoadGlide and StreetGlide/Ultra ,,,,

The J&M amplifiers are THE MOST powerful amplifiers for your Harley fairing ,,, 125 watts RMS continuous per channel, driven into an 8-ohm load ,,, 75 watts RMS per channel continuous into a 4-ohm load ,,,,,

I believe the choices are clear ,,,,,,

Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
NizZ8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man, now considering the upgrade to the ROKKERs...

So been reading through this thread and have the 2ch J&M amp and the 7.25 J&M's from awhile back....

So the new hotness are 4x of the ROKKERs speakers in the (2 upper & 2 lower fairing) and then going with the 500w amp?...

Man would love to do this to my 2010 Ultra since i don't use the storage on the lower fairing anyways... what is this going to run me insofar of price?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Few words about JMJOHN & Dr-Vtwin... Im from Canada.. John and I spoke over the phone on a SUNDAY after i emailed JMJOHN, and he addressed my issue with speed and great care. Also got into some Govt politics chat.... lol... Thanks John for responding to my issue due to my trip to the Cabot Trail in Halifax Nova Scotia in 10 days.. I upgraded to the Rockers from the J&M's 7.25's since i tried to upgrade while at Americade and wasnt successful and you giving me some $$ back for my 7.25's.... I should have my new amp soon which is a warranty claim due to a manufacture defect and you also offered to put same connector on new amp as my old one so i dont have to re-wire complete system again after sending you a photo.... i will post my 2cents comparison on sound....I also want to sThank Dr.V-Twin for a quick reply regarding getting a copy of my reciept... today, customer service goes a long way and you Both beat that expectation.... I plan to spread the word here and hope it brings u both new buisness during these hard times...

BTW - the Standard 7.25's and amp from J&M do ROCK... havent met anyone yet whom can even come close to my sound on my SG... I'm suree the ROKERS will ROCK and more BASS from the rockers would make my audio system complete...
cheers & ride safe...

Last edited by papifun; 07-07-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
cmecatchu2
Advanced

So far I love it! Just had the Rokkers, amp and iPod setup installed on my bike. Love it! I can hear the radio, cd and iPod clearly while put on the highway. Can't wait until my next road trip!!
Got to give a big thumbs up to Dr. Vtwin. They provided great customer service. Easy ordering and quick shipping.
The JM kit was a breeze to install and a well thought out package, and this is the words my installer used.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 AM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by papifun
Few words about JMJOHN & Dr-Vtwin... Im from Canada.. John and I spoke over the phone on a SUNDAY after i emailed JMJOHN, and he addressed my issue with speed and great care. Also got into some Govt politics chat.... lol... Thanks John for responding to my issue due to my trip to the Cabot Trail in Halifax Nova Scotia in 10 days.. I upgraded to the Rockers from the J&M's 7.25's since i tried to upgrade while at Americade and wasnt successful and you giving me some $$ back for my 7.25's.... I should have my new amp soon which is a warranty claim due to a manufacture defect and you also offered to put same connector on new amp as my old one so i dont have to re-wire complete system again after sending you a photo.... i will post my 2cents comparison on sound....I also want to sThank Dr.V-Twin for a quick reply regarding getting a copy of my reciept... today, customer service goes a long way and you Both beat that expectation.... I plan to spread the word here and hope it brings u both new buisness during these hard times...

BTW - the Standard 7.25's and amp from J&M do ROCK... havent met anyone yet whom can even come close to my sound on my SG... I'm suree the ROKERS will ROCK and more BASS from the rockers would make my audio system complete...
cheers & ride safe...

I would like to hear if the rokkers are worth the upgrade in your opinion. I am on the fence right now with that choice.

Quick Reply: NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w