Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Jstmatt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rooker Vs JM 7.25s

I helped a friend install the J&M 250 amp and 7.25 Rokkers on his new SG last night. Just like when I installed them on my Ultra Limited it was a straight forward easy install.

Now is the part that has me grumbling at JMJOHN.... We popped in a Cd and turned it up sitting right next to my Limited and instantly I can hear the difference in the speakers. Just to add insult to injury my Wife walked in and said the Rokkers sound better also. Now I need to UPGRADE... John you are going to have to help a brother out here, what kind of trade in deals can you make? Also is there any point in replacing my rear speakers also?

My impression of the speakers are that the Midrange is much better and the speaker is more reponsive with less volume than the earlier model. And YES it does seem to be a have to upgrade once you hear the difference. GRRR

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

JSTMATT ,,,,,

no problem ,,,, shoot a private email to me at John@Jmcorp.com and I will help ease the pain on the upgrade ,,,,,

we appreciate very much your business ,,,,,

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally have a moment to post my review of the ROKKERS in my RG. I have been riding with the Hogtunes amp and 5.25 speakers for 2 years, but after I installed the original J&M 7.25s in my wife's SG without an amp I was impressed enough that I knew I had to have them. I didn't have the coin, but then got paid for some work that I was expecting and found a really good discount, so I pulled the trigger on the ROKKERS.

Things started off badly when I opened the box and found that the tweeter magnet on the left plate broke loose. Knowing how John backs up his product I shot him an email with a picture and the same day he had a brand new replacement plate shipped priority mail. Great service!

Everything went together without a hitch. I kept my 32w/channel Hogtunes amp. In the garage it was a big wow. Actual bass! The mids were better and the highs ok compared to the Hogtunes. The road would be the real test. Did 300 miles last weekend in a fallen warriors memorial ride and that's when I realized how superior these speakers really were. They didn't play much louder but they sounded awesome at 85 mph. Real bass goes away as you speed up, but the mids and highs stayed clear and accurate!!! The hogtunes always turned heads sitting at stop lights or in my garage, but at speed (above 55) the mids and highs began to distort and you lost a lot of fidelity. It amazed me how much fidelity remained at high speeds. I truly enjoyed my music for the first time. Next to my wife's SG it has way more bass and mids. Part of that is the RG fairing is better for bass and I do have a 32w amp, but it is a big difference. I don't know if I'll ever have the money for the 125w amp, but I am going to figure out a plan, because I know it will take the ROKKERS to a whole other level. No I have not tried any of the car speakers that are out there and maybe they are great, but I am pleased with these at the great discount I found them at.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Shawn2774
Stage III

Originally Posted by RedDogNC
No I have not tried any of the car speakers that are out there and maybe they are great, but I am pleased with these at the great discount I found them at.
RedDogNC,
Who did you purchase your speakers from at discount? I just purchased the Rokker front and rears from Sierra Electronics at Americade. I will be installing them soon. I didn't have the money to purchase the amp yet, but hope to be able to pick it (and the lower speakers) up by the end of the summer. I am always looking to improve my sound and after hearing the Rokkers at Americade, with and without an amp, I am sure my purchase was a good one. I am wondering where you purchased from because I am shopping around for the best pricing on the components that I still have to purchase.
Thanks! Great review!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Dynarider04
Intermediate

Try Dr. V-twin....who is also a forum member.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn2774
RedDogNC,
Who did you purchase your speakers from at discount? I just purchased the Rokker front and rears from Sierra Electronics at Americade. I will be installing them soon. I didn't have the money to purchase the amp yet, but hope to be able to pick it (and the lower speakers) up by the end of the summer. I am always looking to improve my sound and after hearing the Rokkers at Americade, with and without an amp, I am sure my purchase was a good one. I am wondering where you purchased from because I am shopping around for the best pricing on the components that I still have to purchase.
Thanks! Great review!
Got em from HENLEY'S KUSTOM PAINTING INC. via Ebay. I bought my wife's original 7.25s from Dr. Vtwin. Both are top notch businesses and fast shippers.

Last edited by RedDogNC; 06-12-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently purchased the HogTunes, Big Ultra Kit from Henleys Custom Painting, thru ebay also. Great people to deal with. I had a warranty issue with the amp and they were lightning fast to resolve it. I added them to my favorite sellers list.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Krescentfresh
Stage I

Got mine with amp.................lasted less than 48 hours However, returned to J&M and they sent new gear Worst part? I'm active duty military, had just returned from a year long tour overseas, failure happened three days before my cross country move from VA to WA and I had to pay for overnight shipping since the bike is my mode of transport. So that was an additional $120, with no break in shipping from J&M, not lookin' for a handout, but it would have been nice to split the difference since it was a faulty product and I was kinda' stuck for options. Wish they had a little more bottom end, will post a review after my trip concludes..................stay tuned!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone experienced shutdown of the amplifier after about a hour of riding with close to Max volume ? It happened to me several times.. i shut radio of for about 30 mins and then its ok... seems to happen if i go close to max volume... bought my 7.25 and amp from Dr. V-Twin....

Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Papifun ,,,,,,

What can cause the sound to cut out when using a J&M amplifier ? ,,,,, after selling and installing them into thousands of Harleys since their introduction 2 years ago ,,,, I can share my experience with the forum members in this area ,,,,,

1 ,,,,, if you are playing the external speakers LOUD and you have the driver/passenger intercom feature of the audio system activated, ((all Ultra’s have this intercom activated from the factory)) turn the intercom portion of the system OFF ,,,,,,

2 ,,,, If the amplifier's internal temperature exceeds it's programed limits, it will shut down till it cools off ,,,,,,,

causes of overheating can be as simple as riding across the Mohave desert, with the sound playing wide open, with outside temperatures at 120 degrees F,,,, to leaving the AVC on, which can drive the whole system way up into distortion for hours on end at high speeds,((which is bad for everything)),,,,,,, to a set of speakers that are going bad, (any brand) with voice coils heating up and shorting out ,,,,,

3 ,,,,, improper connections to the motorcycle electrical system, especially in the area of frame grounding ,,,,, we are currently upgrading ALL of our amplifier installation instruction sheets to reflect the following new procedures in this area ,,,,,

Make sure that the amplifier’s main power wire is connected to the positive battery post ,,,,,,

Make sure that the amplifier’s main ground wire is bolted to the FRAME at the EXACT location that the battery is grounded to the frame ((no other frame attachment location for this ground wire can be considered a good ground, DONOT connect this ground wire to the negative battery post)) ,,,,,,,

Switch the connection location for the amplifier turn-on wire (orange) from the back of the cigarette lighter to the accessory wire in the headlight harness ,,,,

4 ,,,,, modifying the J&M plug-n-play connection harnesses & altering the impedance that the amplifier sees, below the minimum of 2 ohms ,,,,,,

In summary, the J&M amplifiers are THE MOST POWERFUL amplifiers available for your Harley ,,,, but they are not all perfect, things can happen, systems can be abused over the long term which contributes to a shorter life for all components ,,,,,

what you can count on is J&M's warranty & customer service, in the unlikely event something should go wrong ,,,, we have been doing this for 34 years ,,,

Quick Reply: NEW J&M 7.25" ROKKER Speaker kit 170w