Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Altitude - Lower Octane Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
That wasn't a result of the fuel. You lose about 25% of your power at Denver altitude due to the loss of oxygen in the atmosphere.

You can get away with lower octanes at altitude because of the lower cylinder pressure. I wouldn't be too afraid of backing it down one octane grade, but I'd also log data with a calibration tool to be safe.
I understand. I was just a little surprised the scoot didn't self-adjust to compensate for the difference in altitude. At least it was my impression that my Ultra Classic should have made minor adjustments. I don't totally agree that the octane didn't have some affect thought. When I left Colorado on the way home on the last fill up of 85 octane fuel, it still did run very well even after getting back to a much lower altitude until I found some higher octane fuel.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 AM
zam70
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thank you!

Finally someone speaks the truth!
"Premium" isn't "best".
Here's a brain bender, "high" octane is actually lower in actual "'octane". To simplify, The rated number is a reference of lack of octane...not an increase...
Marketing! magic isn't it?

Originally Posted by lh4x4
There is no such thing as "premium" gasoline. It is a marketing thing. All gas has the same BTU's which is where the power comes from in an internal combustion engine.

Octane is simply a measurement unit of a blend of gasoline to resist ignition.

The power comes from the gas expansion when ignited. So the cooler the incoming charge the more expansion. The fuller the amount of fuel burned increases the expansion. No gas burns completely and the unburned goes out the exhaust port. The lower the octane the more fully it burns. There are some riders who are very alert have noticed that lower octane gas in their air cooled engines runs hotter. It will also provide a slight uptick in mpg.

87 octane will start better. Old school mechanics back in the 50's to 70's before FI would run lower octane in the winter for better starting. They would also retard the spark some.

The higher the octane the more goes out the pipe unburned.

91 octane for a HD is the "recommended" gas to use. The ECM will allow the use of 87 octane not because HD wants to but because they are required to by the government.

If you try to go from Denver up to the Eisenhower Tunnel at about 12,000 feet elevation with 93 octane you will be blowing huge black smoke and your bike would stall at idle.

Again power is the expansion of hot gasses not octane.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
There is no such thing as "premium" gasoline. It is a marketing thing. All gas has the same BTU's which is where the power comes from in an internal combustion engine.

Octane is simply a measurement unit of a blend of gasoline to resist ignition.

The power comes from the gas expansion when ignited. So the cooler the incoming charge the more expansion. The fuller the amount of fuel burned increases the expansion. No gas burns completely and the unburned goes out the exhaust port. The lower the octane the more fully it burns. There are some riders who are very alert have noticed that lower octane gas in their air cooled engines runs hotter. It will also provide a slight uptick in mpg.

87 octane will start better. Old school mechanics back in the 50's to 70's before FI would run lower octane in the winter for better starting. They would also retard the spark some.

The higher the octane the more goes out the pipe unburned.

91 octane for a HD is the "recommended" gas to use. The ECM will allow the use of 87 octane not because HD wants to but because they are required to by the government.

If you try to go from Denver up to the Eisenhower Tunnel at about 12,000 feet elevation with 93 octane you will be blowing huge black smoke and your bike would stall at idle.

Again power is the expansion of hot gasses not octane.
This is partly true except you do get more power and better fuel economy with a cleaner burn, from higher octane due to its stability in the higher pressure cylinder environment. What causes you to loose power and efficiency is the detonation that occurs, this causes the engine to fight itself because the fuel is reaching its ignition temp before its suppose and the fuel to burn too early during the compression cycle. The unique part about the high octane additives is it does cause the fuel to require a higher ignition temp and it has a smooth controlled flame front. You can run your engine a little leaner thereby using less fuel and getting better fuel economy and a more complete burn also causing the fuel to burn cleaner in the end. You can run lower octane in a Harley but like I said earlier i would not do this with a stock setup. All 89 octane is lower grade mixed with higher octane as a blend.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:09 PM
FLSTC GUY
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I am always amazed at the responses when this question comes up. I love my bike enough to run the best fluids and therefore run the best fuel I can get. Call it peace of mind if nothing else.
What do you do when you are in the mountains and the ONLY fuel you can find is 85 octane??? **** in your tank?

Old 08-04-2023, 07:32 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,697 Likes on 2,124 Posts

You're not starting out strong Skippy - this is a 12 year old post. Try to do better.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 08:01 PM
Black Ultra
Road Master
Received 598 Likes on 312 Posts

I have started carrying a bottle of Amsoil motorcycle octane boost in case I can't find a station with 91 or better. Yes, I live near Denver. Yes altitude suck for power (-20 to 24% depending on the weather), it also will mess with your tire pressures. If you have correct pressures at sea level, they will read high up here. When I go down toward sea level, I have to add air to the tires. My Camaro and my wife's Jeep require 91 or better. Will they run on lower octane, yes. But they both have knock sensors in the engine and the computer will pull timing if even the slightest knock if detected and the resulting power loss is noticeable. Yes, they do get knock retard on lower octane fuel even up here. The bike does not have knock sensors (to my knowledge), so I just run the 91 to be safe.

Last edited by Black Ultra; 08-04-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:12 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,215 Likes on 3,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Ultra
I have started carrying a bottle of Amsoil motorcycle octane boost in case I can't find a station with 91 or better. Yes, I live near Denver. Yes altitude suck for power (-20 to 24% depending on the weather), it also will mess with your tire pressures. If you have correct pressures at sea level, they will read high up here. When I go down toward sea level, I have to add air to the tires. My Camaro and my wife's Jeep require 91 or better. Will they run on lower octane, yes. But they both have knock sensors in the engine and the computer will pull timing if even the slightest knock if detected and the resulting power loss is noticeable. Yes, they do get knock retard on lower octane fuel even up here. The bike does not have knock sensors (to my knowledge), so I just run the 91 to be safe.
Yes it does...I believe Harley uses an ion sensing knock detection system

The following users liked this post:
bmaier (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:27 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,358 Likes on 5,498 Posts

Old thread same answer. Ride it until you get to the gas you want.

Old 08-05-2023, 11:43 AM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

FYI I rode my 2008 RK all over Colorado 7 days 12k feet and down hit every pass I could find, all the way to Denver and kept going east. Always with the highest octane I could get. Ran fine

Old 08-05-2023, 03:58 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
you're not starting out strong skippy - this is a 12 year old post. Try to do better.

🤦 doh!

Quick Reply: High Altitude - Lower Octane Gas?