Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobile vs Sunoco MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Mobile vs Sunoco MPG

I have been using Mobil gas in my SG for the past year and have been getting 30 - 32 mpg ( 70% around town, 30% highway). Today I switched to Sunoco 93 octane, rode 116 miles and burned 2.6 gallons of gas. That comes to about 44 1/2 MPG. I consider this a significant improvement. I will admit that todays riding consisted of a little more highway miles but it's still a 12 mpg difference from what I normally get.
Has anyone noticed a difference using different brands of gas?
What type do you use?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mobile vs Sunoco MPG

Can't see it, often manufacturers have reciprocal agreements, so it is quite likely that different brands of gas sold in the same area, actually may be from the same tank farm/refinery!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Around town I get 33 mpg 1 up; on the road I get 44.5 mpg 2 up. I generally use what ever brand gas that is available; we only can get 91 octane in our area.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
rustyrun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They say all gas is the same but I say bullwicky. I only run Sunoco or Citgo premium in my FLHTC because it coughs and spits at traffic lights on everything else. I stopped buying Citgo because of that a@# presidents from Venezuela comments on the US. Gas does make a difference but i only get 35 mpg with my carbureted twin cam. Even if I ride easy.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Old Greaser
Novice

Maybe things are different now, but I worked a summer job for a pipeline company back in 1975. We used to make 'back door' deliveries and sold our gas to at least three other companies, two big names and one small 'off-brand'. The bigger difference is likely how well the station filters it and how much water/crap they have in their storage tanks.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I buy whatever gas that happens to be there when I need it. I check my mileage every fill up. All of my vehicles get pretty consistent mileage. I also am a skeptic in drastic differences in mileage based on gas brand.

I have a buddy that manages a fleet of tankers. He says that when his trucks get gas at the nearest tank farm, it may deliver to several different branded stations on the delivery routes.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:35 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i use chevron when i can but my milage does not vary very much at all. i average about 38 at highway speeds and 43 if i am running aroune 50-60 regardless of brand.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:19 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on the area that you live, some states monitor the fuel and others don't. Because of the fuel prices, a station may order 6000 gallons and by the time the tanker gets to the station they may get 3000-4000 of good gas and 3000-2000 of burnable crud, solvents and what not. Who is doing the mixtur is anyones guess. That is why some vehicles vary in there gas mileage, even though they are driving the same. I know my Durango varies from 13-18 mpg, tank to tank, doing the same driving. The UC that I am going to buy got 45mpg going up into the mountains and 50mpg coming back down.

Toby

Old 10-11-2006, 01:31 AM
GaryZ
Intermediate

I don't use any commie Citgo oil or gas, Inclucing harley oil, from Citgo, But Sunco, is pretty good, Its the old DX, gas and oil. Local stuff. Otherwise, its Mobil synthetic, and local gas. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 10-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

A few years ago I did some extensive traveling. I always used Standard Oil stations (Amoco, BP). I got consistent mileage until I stopped at a Mobile station. I was keeping really good records of my gas mileage and noticed a significant improvement with the Mobile. I stopped at several Mobile stations and continued to notice the improved mileage. Whenever I would go back to Standard Oil I would drop 3-5 mpg. I did this little experiment over a two to three year period and the mileage was always better with Mobile. The problem I ran into was that there just aren't that many Mobile stations around my area so I usually use BP. I never run cheap or low octaine gas in my bike.

Quick Reply: Mobile vs Sunoco MPG