Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5's in Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
drz400222
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.5's in Lowers

So I'm adding lowers with 6.5" speakers but not sure what I'm doing for fairing audio yet. I have the lowers and when the speaker boxes come in both are going out for paint. I've been doing quite a bit of reasearch (especially on this site thanks everyone) and I've decided to go with an elf 2 channel amp $200 and for the lower speakers Polk audio MM651UM for $145 http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-MM651...item53e66191f1

I'm going for the biggest bang for my buck! Undecided on what I'm doing for audio in the fairing. Will 2 elf (aka arc) amps fit in the fairing? I don't remember who but I've seen one on the forums here mounted to the side of the fairing under the left speaker. Propably will only upgrade the fairing speakers but not sure. Don't want to buy speakers designed for the harleys because the price is rediculous but trying to find 2 ohm marine grade speakers either 5.25 or 6.5 seems nearly impossible. Any other suggestions? I'll prob go with 6.5 2 ohm infinites but would like to find some resonably priced marine grade speakers.

It'd be great if you guys chimed in and gave me some input, THANKS!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not buy a nice 4 channel amp ??

Are you keeping the stock HK head unit ?? If so,......don't get too crazy with the other components.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
drz400222
6th Gear

I'd like to buy a 4 channel amp but can't seem to find a powerful enough one for the money. I only want a fairing mounted amp, GP as awesome as your system is I can't sacrafice bag space as my tour pak is rarely on. Almost bought hogtunes big ultra kit but that amp isn't big enough, only 60 watts a channel at a 2 ohm load. Hawg wired's amp would be great but I can't justify spending $1,000 on an amp alone.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going for the biggest bang for my buck! Undecided on what I'm doing for audio in the fairing. Will 2 elf (aka arc) amps fit in the fairing? I don't remember who but I've seen one on the forums here mounted to the side of the fairing under the left speaker. Propably will only upgrade the fairing speakers but not sure. Don't want to buy speakers designed for the harleys because the price is rediculous but trying to find 2 ohm marine grade speakers either 5.25 or 6.5 seems nearly impossible. Any other suggestions? I'll prob go with 6.5 2 ohm infinites but would like to find some resonably priced marine grade speakers.

It'd be great if you guys chimed in and gave me some input, THANKS![/quote]

If you get 4 ohm marine speakers and put them in your fairing and lowers, wire the 4 ohm speakers in parallel (Left and right channel) for your lowers and fairing, the amp will see the load as 2 ohms for each of the fronts.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you planning to access the rear speaker pinouts on the HK radio? It's easy to do and costs under $50 in parts if you don't already have the 35 wire connector plug installed for XM or some other HD audio accesssory; if you do have the 35 wire connector already, the rear pinouts will only need the sockets for the speaker wires you add and cost will be under $5.

You'd also need the dealer to use the Digital Technician to turn on the HK's fader control if it is not already turned on; mine did it for free, but it shouldn't cost more than a 1/2 hour labor and may be much less than that.

When I added the '11 CVO SG speaker boxes, I did it with the four-channel set-up on the HK radio, but ran the fairing speakers w/o an add-on amp, and used the Arc 125.2 amp for the fairing lower speakers. The '11 CVO SG doesn't use the fader control for the fairng and fairing lower speakers, so it's not like the fader control is required for that speaker configuration. Having the fader control has been very nice to have on my bike.

Carl

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

J&M's new fairing mounted 500w 4-ch amp will be released on March 15th ,,,,

I will have photos, pricing etc on the J&M website ROKKER page by the end of the week ,,,,

Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
drz400222
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
J&M's new fairing mounted 500w 4-ch amp will be released on March 15th ,,,,

I will have photos, pricing etc on the J&M website ROKKER page by the end of the week ,,,,
Yeah I've kind of been waiting to see pricing on this from you guys, I do have to say you guys have great pricing for what you offer at J&M. I'm hoping you offer these amps with out the brakets and wire harness kits too.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
drz400222
6th Gear

Originally Posted by easycruzer

If you get 4 ohm marine speakers and put them in your fairing and lowers, wire the 4 ohm speakers in parallel (Left and right channel) for your lowers and fairing, the amp will see the load as 2 ohms for each of the fronts.
You've got the right idea but you'd have to wire them in a series for the amp to see the two at a 2 ohm load. Most amps are capable at running at 2 or 4 ohms so after you go through an aftermarket amp it doesn't really matter. I was refering to trying to find a 2 ohm speaker to be powered by the HK and not an amp, and the HK doesn't have enough power to run two 4 ohm speakers in a series tho.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
drz400222
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Are you planning to access the rear speaker pinouts on the HK radio? It's easy to do and costs under $50 in parts if you don't already have the 35 wire connector plug installed for XM or some other HD audio accesssory; if you do have the 35 wire connector already, the rear pinouts will only need the sockets for the speaker wires you add and cost will be under $5.

You'd also need the dealer to use the Digital Technician to turn on the HK's fader control if it is not already turned on; mine did it for free, but it shouldn't cost more than a 1/2 hour labor and may be much less than that.

When I added the '11 CVO SG speaker boxes, I did it with the four-channel set-up on the HK radio, but ran the fairing speakers w/o an add-on amp, and used the Arc 125.2 amp for the fairing lower speakers. The '11 CVO SG doesn't use the fader control for the fairng and fairing lower speakers, so it's not like the fader control is required for that speaker configuration. Having the fader control has been very nice to have on my bike.

Carl
Yeah I def plan on accessing the rear speaker outputs or another sort of fader (read on). I've acctually givin a lot of thought to sending my HK to iron cross audio to have the pre outs installed. Then if someone can comfirm that there should be a way to fit 2 arc 125.2's in the fairing that I would get two 500 watt mono elf audio amps (practically same size as the 250 2 channels) and wire the left audio to one amp and two speakers run in parallel in the fairing and the right audio to the other amp and 2 speakers run in parallel in the lowers. Then I could use the balance control as a fader. Our bikes do have a balance control right?

The Elf E1500DM's are a class D amp 1 ohm stable and are rms rated 500watts@1ohm 340watts@2ohms and 200watts@4ohms so 2 4 ohm speakers run in parallel would recieve 100 watts rms each not bad for around $125 each, I'm not an audio guy, so any of the audiophiles on here have any objections to this setup?

Last edited by drz400222; 03-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drz400222
I'd like to buy a 4 channel amp but can't seem to find a powerful enough one for the money. I only want a fairing mounted amp, GP as awesome as your system is I can't sacrafice bag space as my tour pak is rarely on. Almost bought hogtunes big ultra kit but that amp isn't big enough, only 60 watts a channel at a 2 ohm load. Hawg wired's amp would be great but I can't justify spending $1,000 on an amp alone.

From hogtunes site not even a dealer their 6 speaker system with the amp
6 Speaker System

All Prices are in USD
Plus Shipping

$599.95

and 4 channel amp alone which can be piggy backed with another amp.
NCA 40.4 160 watt Amp

All Prices are in USD
Plus Shipping
*2 ohm speakers required
$349.95

This kit is an awesome and easy to install kit for all 2006-current Ultra Classics/Tri Glides.

The kit comes complete with a Hogtunes amplifier, all 6 speakers, fairing lower adaptors, 100% plug and play wire harness, and all required hardware.

In this configuration the factory radio powers the front and rear speakers, and the Hogtunes amplifier is dedicated to the lowers.

The front 4 speakers in this kit are the new Hogtunes 902.2-AA speakers with our magnet technology that plays 20% louder than previous models.

The radios fader will continue to work with the front 4 speakers on the fronts half of the fader, and the rears on the rear side of the fader.

You can easily take this system up to 8 speakers as it’s compatible with Hogtunes very popular HF-1 “HOGPOD” tweeter bar.

See more videos on how you can build the right audio for your bike here!

Quick Reply: 6.5's in Lowers