Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5's in Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OKCFireMike
Thanks for the help!!
This thread has detailed information on accessing those rear speaker pin outs on the HK head unit that I mentioned in my previous post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...head-unit.html

Let us know how your project goes.

Carl

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
OKCFireMike
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other question - if I add a amp after I have the fader enabled - does it need to have a certain feature to make the fader control still work when i wire it up - is that the difference in a 2 channel amp vs a 4 channel? sorry for all the questions but this radio tech stuff is a little confusing w ohms having to match and 2/4 channels!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The fader is in the radio, not the amp. On your SESG2, HD uses the front l/r signal to send to the amp's input, and the amp splits the signal to send to the fairing and fairing lower speakers, as well as the tweeters.

You can do the same thing with a more powerful amp; i.e., take the front signal from the HK, send it to the two channel amp, and then wire two pairs of speakers to the l/r outputs of the amp. That's when series or parallel wiring becomes important because of the different impedances the wiring choice makes.

On my bike, I accessed the rear speaker signal and sent it to the Arc amp and then to the fairing lowers; the front speakers got their signal from the standard front speaker outputs of the HK radio. In other words, only the rear speaker signal was amplified by the Arc amp.

Another option is to have front and rear speaker outputs going to a four-channel amp and from there to the front/rear speakers.

Carl