Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camera Mount Options??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 AM
rollin_thunder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera Mount Options??

I am taking a trip through the Rockies here in a few months and would love to capture some of this trip on film. Does anyone have any good Camera mounts options?? I already have a Sony Handycam, and would like to use that simply because I know the quality is awesome. I would also not be against buying a whole new camera system for the bike if it is halfway reasonable. Tell me what you got, or what your buddies got and fill me in!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out RAM Mounts... Excellent.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rollin_thunder
I am taking a trip through the Rockies here in a few months and would love to capture some of this trip on film. Does anyone have any good Camera mounts options?? I already have a Sony Handycam, and would like to use that simply because I know the quality is awesome. I would also not be against buying a whole new camera system for the bike if it is halfway reasonable. Tell me what you got, or what your buddies got and fill me in!
RAM mount is the best way to go, but it depends...your camcorder may relatively be too heavy, so you may have a lot of vibration.
I've done quite a few testing, and I've learned that the lighter the camera/camcorder the better. It also depends on how good the stabilization of your cam is.
You can see some of my sample videos in these posts: post # 1 , or post # 2

Have fun!
Nick

Last edited by jackhis; 02-28-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhis
RAM mount is the best way to go...and I've learned that the lighter the camera/camcorder the better. ...You can see some of my sample videos in these posts: post # 1 , or post # 2

Have fun!
Nick
Is there any change of mounts or equipment or mounting position between 1 and 2. I noticed a sun spot on video 2 which I didn't notice or see on video 1, but it probably depends on the time of day, and riding direction. Can't wait to see how your mt is?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind what it is you want to capture.

Do you want a mounted camera to look straight down the road? Mounting to the fairing or handlebars / highway bars gives you different aspects.

What most are wanting is more panoramic view with the camera moving side to side capturing landscapes and scenery as you go down the road. Some achieve this better with a helmet mounted camera, but those mounts typically use a tiny camera (lens) with a remote recorder. This view can be a bit dizzy-ing because whenever you turn your head your camera view changes quickly. You tend to see a lot of scenery only in the direction your looking.

My personal favorite location to mount would be a mount on a tripod off my tour pack. A shot over the top of your helmet that includes the handle bars and would create an image as though you were driving the bike while watching the video.

So mounting location and bracket mounts for the camera is more about what it is you want to capture, or the POV. (point of view)

I'm going to mount a mounting bracket on my stereo caddy just behind the windshield. This will position the camera so I can angle it side to side, and I'll be able to plainly see the monitor. Not sure how much vibration it will pick up there.

Personally the best on the bike video has been with the wife operating the camera while seated in her raised passenger position. No bracket required ... lol

Here's a thread I started a while back with lots of comments and details. Video Taping Cruises.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 02-28-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ram Mount

I have used Ram Mount on my bikes for years.
Good product and works well.

Only downside is the Harley handle bars vibrating at low RPM.

Attached Thumbnails Camera Mount Options??-rammount.jpg  

Last edited by CruzN; 02-28-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also impressed that there isn't much glare through the windshield.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife has the Contour HD Camera. She has tried mounting it on the fairing, Handle Bars, and engine guard. Her favorite place is on top of her helmet. She has a stick on mount that her camera slides into and locks. She get's less vibration and better scenery shot's.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
spookeg
Intermediate

check out I-Kam video recorder sunglasses

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
sandfan85
Advanced

Check out this site, http://gopro.com/ My buddy has one of these and its awesome, relatively inexspensive too. You can set it up for video or snap shots

Quick Reply: Camera Mount Options??