Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dialing in the Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dialing in the Gas Gauge

I recently had modified the exhaust-a/c and added the HD Super Tuner to my bike. I am trying to get an accurate read on MPG, but my gas gauge is not cooperating and makes for some nervous miles at the end of the tank.

My gauge was pegged on "E" before my reserve light came on. So much so that I was worried that some of the electrical stuff I have done to the bike screwed up that light. But sure enough it did come on with 31 miles on reserve and the gas gauge on "E".

Can the dealer dial that gauge in better? If the gauge can't be trusted, what about the low fuel light or the range indicator. Lastly, how does that range indicator work.....I mean if I change the fuel management system which affects MPG, how does that factor into a range calculation and display based on renaming fuel? Is that range calculation static, or does a computer adjust that calculation?

I HATE the thought of running out of gas, but also want to have a pretty good idea of MPG for those times when HAVE to stretch it....

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I kinda had the same frustration in that if the float setting isn't quite right- can't the range indicator "learn"...mine counts down to zero when I have just about a gallon left.

I keep pretty good notes on mileage. And I know that running 70 mph with moderate load I get 44 mpg.

I think that like me you'll end up taking notes and determining that when the bike says "empty" how much fuel you have left.

mike

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't depend strictly on the gauge. They are notorious for not working correctly. When you fill up with gas ALWAYS clear your odometer and calculate the mileage by the miles before you clear it, divided by gallons added to the tank.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasJR
Can the dealer dial that gauge in better?
They might be able to by adjusting the float but not worth the $ IMO.

I adjusted mine on my '06 Road Glide but still went by the odometer.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike T
Don't depend strictly on the gauge. They are notorious for not working correctly. When you fill up with gas ALWAYS clear your odometer and calculate the mileage by the miles before you clear it, divided by gallons added to the tank.
+1 Gage never has worked on the lowrider. The Roadking seem to be pretty accurate, so far. Light has come on twice and the estimate miles left was in the range of 40. When I gassed it put in right at 5 gals. By the odometer I get around 40 MPG 2 up so the gauges and digital are about right, but I still reset one of the ods and start looking for gas around 190 miles. Besides that's well over when I should probably take a break if it's a trip to somewhere

Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my low light comes on when the gauge reads half full. Sometimes it drops from full to empty in 20 miles. Sometimes the low light never comes on. But the most annoying thing is when its on all the time.......bright little sucker at night. I see alot of used gauges on ebay......im guessing they all have the same problems.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:02 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I always start looking for gas at 150 miles on trip meter A, and use the B trip for total ride miles. I have never seen a Harley fuel gauge that came close to being right on. The gauge on my 07 reads full for the first 100 miles, then after it hits half way it goes really fast to the low fuel mark. The most miles I have gotten out of the 5 gallon tank is 212 miles, and was worried for about 30 miles, tank took 4.8 gallons. The wife was real pissed to have to sit that many miles with out a brake.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

160 to 180 miles (or less) on the speedo I get gas. have raised tank and its close anyway. no biggie, just stop, and get gas. Never used to have them at all.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Lunch Meat
Tourer

I go by my mileage. I reset A when I get gas and I have a range of miles that I know I can go. Never had a gauge on my 76 Shovelhead so I got used to using my mileage as my gas gauge. The gauge on my 05 stays on full forever then the next thing you know its getting close to empty. I did go about 25 miles with the light on though, just knowing it would run out but it didn't.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 PM
ks6c
Tourer

My range indicator and low fuel warning light were spot on - light came on with 1 gallon remaining, and indicating 40 miles to go - but fuel gauge had been on 'E' for 50/60 miles by then. Asked the dealer to fix the guage because it was so far off from the other two and what do they do? F'ed up the range indicator and low fuel warning light. Now none of the 3 can be relied on.

Be careful what you ask for.

Quick Reply: Dialing in the Gas Gauge