Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Used Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
pk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering a Used Road King Classic

See here for the updates. This is a classic so it has Cruise and lots of nice features...........

https://www.hdforums.com/m_826101/mp.../tm.htm#826101

Paul

Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 PM
airdoll
Advanced

Hey RadMan,
My buddy just went to Sturgis with me this year. He had a 2000 roadking classic with 13k on it. Just pulling into Rapid City it started making noise. We stopped where we were and had it towed to a repair shop.(Harley dealer wouldn't even look at it for 4 days). He had the whole engine rebuilt and we made it home but found out there was a recall that Harley did not publish but told the dealers not to talk about unless the engine gave them problems. The recall expired in 2005. My buddy tried to work with Harley but they basically told him to **** up a rope. He ended up trading it off to a different dealer on a 2006 streetglide that he loves. Stay away from the 99 and 2000s. There is a defective cam on some models. I have a 2004 roadking with hardbags and a big bore kit and I love it. Just get ready to shell out money on a regular basis if you do not do your own work. Good Luck.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

i have an 06 and am very glad i do (over an 07)

check zanotti's they have some 06 left overs (on their web site)

Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's my .02 cents:

'99 to '01 - Should be ok as long as they were well cared for and it can be proven (ie. Looks great with lots of receipts). Be prepared to swap the cams to a gear drive unit before you put too many miles on it. This will run you just south of $1000 if you have to pay retail for everything including labor. The M&M FI unit is a decent unit, but has limitations in performance applications. The Delphi bikes form '02 and on are better in all aspects. A carbed bike in this year range would be a good purchase.

2002 - I agree with Springer, great year for the reasons stated in his post

2003 - 100th anniversary year. Cosmetically I am not fond of these and most '03 owners looking to sell think they are worth more than they are because of the special emblems. These are not rare and you should not pay more for one of these than an equal 2002 model in my opinion

'04 to '06 - Not much difference in these. Most engine guys will tell you the '05 heads are the least desirable for out of the box performance. Stock engines don't really notice this difference, but if you went to a big bore kit with cams and left the heads untouched, you would be leaving some performance on the table compared to the same build with non-'05 heads.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and just sold a really nice '99 Road King Classic with performance and cosmetic upgrades for $12,000. It was a hell of a nice bike that needed nothing mechanically or cosmetically. Maybe that can give you a real world price reference to base your used search on.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a 05.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Radman
Novice

Wow, you guys were quick to reply. If you are hangin out here on company time.....then shame on us. Thanks for the valid information. There are differing opinions but that's ok. When I consider all of the responses this is what I get. 02, 04 are the most desirable years. 05 and 06 is a maybe if. I will have to reread all of the posts again. So far I favor the 04. Would like to pay no more than 15k. Higher mileage doesn't scare me if the bike has been cared for. I will ask my dealer why he thinks the 00-03's are not desirable.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Radman

...... I will ask my dealer why he thinks the 00-03's are not desirable.
Then what ever they say, throw it right out the window as most dealers that make generic comments like that don't have a clue.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought an '02 and haven't had any problems with it. I really don't want to sell it to you but everything has a price....first $80,000 in my hand and its yours.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

Chances are that your dealer wants to sell you a new bike. He is steering you toward a newer model and believes that he can lead you to a new one because the price difference will be relatively small. If you want a new bike, go for it. My 03 has done just fine and will probably continue to do well for many years.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 AM
toolbox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome on the forum radman from OKLAHOMA. Go for it! You will love the roadking. I've owned a couple now and put down well over 150k on them ..I love them, however just another opinion. You will like the bags for storage & the air suspension for comfort and you can add just about anything you want. Good luck on your decision.

TOOLBOX

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/03F4E5C59ECC4069A347389D2864DB36.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Considering a Used Road King Classic