Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire on a '07 Ultra. Yes, Elaine, it works.... lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 PM
kjelders
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I'm using the 195, but there is a lot of space left to fill. The 205 will work fine, use whatever you prefer. Now that I know what it feels like and used to it, my next tire will probably be a 205.

I just put the 195-60-16 Bridgestone Taranza on my EGC yesterday. I only have about 50 miles so far, but it feels great. No regrets here.

I thought there would be a learning curve of handleing, but none felt.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
I just put the 195-60-16 Bridgestone Taranza on my EGC yesterday. I only have about 50 miles so far, but it feels great. No regrets here.

I thought there would be a learning curve of handleing, but none felt.

Congrats. No regrets here either. I do a lot of two-up riding, and its the best thing I could have done as far as handling and stability. I was apprehensive about riding two-up and those big flags mounted behind the axle in cross winds. But it rides good.

Regards,

Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM
David Henagan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Ultra Tire Help

There are no Vredestein Comtrac, 175/75-16 in the States. They are on back oreder from Holland. Is there any other tires CT that will fit an 07 Ultra?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by David Henagan
There are no Vredestein Comtrac, 175/75-16 in the States. They are on back oreder from Holland. Is there any other tires CT that will fit an 07 Ultra?

Not that I know of.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Its not about the mileage (three or four times) and its not about the money.

Its about the comfort, the traction, the stability, the braking, and the load capacity. And of course, about the size of the contact patch.

Regards,
I can see the contact patch being a huge benefit in situations, but how do these tires corner? Surely they don't to twisties well, do they?

I'm just askin', I know you weren't looking for a debate but perhaps you can speak for their ability to corner.
I don't see tires having to lean much, when installed on a car.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Folks,

Like I said in the beginning, everything has been argued and said about this issue.

To the people interested in the concept, NO NEED TO RESPOND TO ATTACKS AND PERPETUATE THE ARGUMENT. Notice that the naysayers are still people that have not tried it, so no need to worry about it. Look at the statement "its a stupid, unsafe idea" with nothing to back it up, either studies, or documented crashes, accidents, blow-ups, etc. This is typical of what is coming.

Then again, this is a public forum and we have freedom of expression, lol.

Just do it and go riding,

Regards,
The "documented crash" argument just killed your credibility.

I hate when folks use that argument.

As if someone keeps statistics on tire brands used during a wreck, and puts it in a huge database where anyone can access every component from every bike ever wrecked.

No different than the oil threads. "Show me documented motor failures due to oil", as if every Indy sends a daily report to Washington. LOL

Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Its not about the mileage (three or four times) and its not about the money.

Its about the comfort, the traction, the stability, the braking, and the load capacity. And of course, about the size of the contact patch.

Regards,

Dunlop E3's,.... all the "load capacity" you'll ever need, with fantastic mileage, and great handling. No need for square tires.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Just curious, and I am neutral on the subject of if you should run car tires on a bike to each their own BUT,

I used to investigate crashes for a living, vehicle crash reconstructionist, and know that in a major crash the insurance company always inspects the vehicles involved. I wonder if they would have a case and refuse to cover a loss if a car tire was on a motorcycle ? Even if it was not a factor in the crash, insurance companies will look for any detail to avoid paying a claim, especially if a third party or fatality is involved.

thoughts ?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Just curious, and I am neutral on the subject of if you should run car tires on a bike to each their own BUT,

I used to investigate crashes for a living, vehicle crash reconstructionist, and know that in a major crash the insurance company always inspects the vehicles involved. I wonder if they would have a case and refuse to cover a loss if a car tire was on a motorcycle ? Even if it was not a factor in the crash, insurance companies will look for any detail to avoid paying a claim, especially if a third party or fatality is involved.

thoughts ?

I looked at that too. I called Progressive Insurance headquarters and their answer was "No, we cannot decline a claim for a car tire". A more detailed explanation was that an insurance contract does not exclude use of a car specifically, and a claims adjuster cannot add it either.

Also understand that a car tire in a bike was not my idea. There is a big segment of Honda Gold Wing riders that have been using them for years, and this is what got me started looking into it. Typically, a GW rider is a more careful rider than usual, fanatic in bike maintenance and cleanliness, and one that would probably not ride with a voided insurance, so, the short answer is NO, insurance is not a problem.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Car tire on a '07 Ultra. Yes, Elaine, it works.... lol