Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire on a '07 Ultra. Yes, Elaine, it works.... lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Go to the SOFTAIL section and read the posts by Quadancer. He is running the Vredestein tire, and likes to ride fast.

Regards,
Thank you sir!!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
No he didn't. The only place you will see a difference is in very low speed IE: Parking lots and after riding the bike for a day or so it becomes natural.
I ride with guys with car tires and they are always holding up the line in sweepers. Today I was riding with a Rocket with a car tire and as usual...he was in the back of the pack and his 155 torque was not doing him any good.

Another guy has a VTX 1800 w/ a car tire, same thing. No cornering ability.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
I ride with guys with car tires and they are always holding up the line in sweepers. Today I was riding with a Rocket with a car tire and as usual...he was in the back of the pack and his 155 torque was not doing him any good.

Another guy has a VTX 1800 w/ a car tire, same thing. No cornering ability.
They must not be very good riders. The guys i ride with can smoke some crotch rockets on The tail of the Dragon with car tires...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 02-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tazzrider
Sweet! I'm fairly new to HD Ultras. Do you know if my 08' has a 16X3 rear?
If so, I will be all over this CT when i need rubber.
Thanks!
Yes, you have a 16x3

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
They must not be very good riders. The guys i ride with can smoke some crotch rockets on The tail of the Dragon with car tires...
This is a straight lift from the Vredestein website:

"Speed, safety and durability, and let's not forget, comfort. This is what summarises the key qualities of Comtrac, the new Vredestein van tyre. Comtrac was developed by Vredestein for the demand for tyres which combine the usual features of passenger cars with the efficiency of commercial vehicles. The exceptional carcass structure incorporating a steel reinforcement strip ensures that the tyre is well equipped for heavy-duty work. What's more, Comtrac not only performs much better, but it also offers excellent comfort and safety. The Vredestein Comtrac - a reliable, durable tyre with a modern look."

The tyre being recommended here is not a car tyre, but a commercial vehicle or van tyre! I don't see any reference to using them on a bike....

Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not about the mileage (three or four times) and its not about the money.

Its about the comfort, the traction, the stability, the braking, and the load capacity. And of course, about the size of the contact patch.
I wouldn't doubt it. I heard MotoGP specifically banned car tires because they gave an unfair performance advantage.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
Hey Roberto, I have a 2010 EGC. Would it be better to put a 195-65-16 or 205-65-16??

Thanks

I'm using the 195, but there is a lot of space left to fill. The 205 will work fine, use whatever you prefer. Now that I know what it feels like and used to it, my next tire will probably be a 205.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no experience with the other sizes, you would just have to try it.
I went with the 195/60R16 because its the same diameter as the 180/65B16 OEM Dunlop and I didn't want to mess with the speedometer or mileage. My next tire will be the same size, 195/60R16 because its a really good fit.

Regards,

Thank you very much

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
This is a straight lift from the Vredestein website:

"Speed, safety and durability, and let's not forget, comfort. This is what summarises the key qualities of Comtrac, the new Vredestein van tyre. Comtrac was developed by Vredestein for the demand for tyres which combine the usual features of passenger cars with the efficiency of commercial vehicles. The exceptional carcass structure incorporating a steel reinforcement strip ensures that the tyre is well equipped for heavy-duty work. What's more, Comtrac not only performs much better, but it also offers excellent comfort and safety. The Vredestein Comtrac - a reliable, durable tyre with a modern look."

The tyre being recommended here is not a car tyre, but a commercial vehicle or van tyre! I don't see any reference to using them on a bike....
Graham, i am not sure why you look at these Car Tyre treads , they seem to work you up some still...Don't worry about it so bad man. It's ok....Van, Car. Bike....It all rolls on the road....LOL.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 AM
ASQTec
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

...no need to get all worked up over it. Its a dead horse, everything has been argued about it, and it works.
Lots of guys ride with car tires on their bikes. Don't you get worked up now.

Quick Reply: Car tire on a '07 Ultra. Yes, Elaine, it works.... lol