Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire on a '07 Ultra. Yes, Elaine, it works.... lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:06 AM
taximan62
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what you guys think this is still a stupid, unsafe idea!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Its not about the mileage (three or four times) and its not about the money.

Its about the comfort, the traction, the stability, the braking, and the load capacity. And of course, about the size of the contact patch.

Regards,
You left out that you gave up proper cornering and lean angle.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taximan62
I don't care what you guys think this is still a stupid, unsafe idea!
Exactly.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
You left out that you gave up proper cornering and lean angle.
No he didn't. The only place you will see a difference is in very low speed IE: Parking lots and after riding the bike for a day or so it becomes natural.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These keyboard critics must know from experience. The fact that the car tire is probably cheaper, lasts longer and reported to be stable has me interested. If I can find out what size to put on my 01 Road King I would be willing to at least try it. I do live and ride the twisties so would be most interested to know how this works as I scrape floorboards pretty often.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Several friends of mine have used them and 3 for several years and they saw no major difference in grip or lean angle over the stock tires and they have not gone back to M/C tires yet...40000 miles on a Michelin tire is what one of my friends got...
These were mounted to Goldwing, VTX1800, Valkirie and a Road star...Like i said in an earlier post the only difference they saw was in parking lots at very low speed but that was only on the first day and that also went away on the 2nd ride...

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Folks,

Like I said in the beginning, everything has been argued and said about this issue.

To the people interested in the concept, NO NEED TO RESPOND TO ATTACKS AND PERPETUATE THE ARGUMENT. Notice that the naysayers are still people that have not tried it, so no need to worry about it. Look at the statement "its a stupid, unsafe idea" with nothing to back it up, either studies, or documented crashes, accidents, blow-ups, etc. This is typical of what is coming.

Then again, this is a public forum and we have freedom of expression, lol.

Just do it and go riding,

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 02-27-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by strtarrow
These keyboard critics must know from experience. The fact that the car tire is probably cheaper, lasts longer and reported to be stable has me interested. If I can find out what size to put on my 01 Road King I would be willing to at least try it. I do live and ride the twisties so would be most interested to know how this works as I scrape floorboards pretty often.

If your rear wheel is a 16X3, then its the same Vredestein Comtrac, 175/75-16. Go to the SOFTAIL section and read the posts by Quadancer. He is running the Vredestein tire, and likes to ride fast.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 02-27-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by strtarrow

Go to the SOFTAIL section and read the posts by Quadancer. He is running the Vredestein tire, and likes to ride fast.

Regards,

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Folks,

I just posted on the "Wheel, tire and brakes" section about my riding buddy and his '07 Ultra.

It is a post intended for all those folks that have emailed me and PM'd me about car tires for the older models, with a 16X3 OEM rear wheel. If you don't like the idea of a car tire on a bike, its fine, don't read the post, no need to get all worked up over it. Its a dead horse, everything has been argued about it, and it works.

Regards,

Sweet! I'm fairly new to HD Ultras. Do you know if my 08' has a 16X3 rear?
If so, I will be all over this CT when i need rubber.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Car tire on a '07 Ultra. Yes, Elaine, it works.... lol