Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Backplate painted it black...look how easy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 AM
BigTKC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SE Backplate painted it black...look how easy!

UPDATED WITH INSTALL PICS...PAGE 2 (POST 20)

Working on the stage 1 this winter...I've been putting the pieces together while snow is on the ground and since I had a $100 chrome cash, I went with the HD SE air cleaner kit . I've got to tell you, I really didn't like that cast backing plate and Harley wants way too much for either the black or chrome versions so I decided to take care of it on my own.

Picked up a can of high temp engine paint from the local auto parts store, lightly sanded some of the rough edges on the plate left by the casting process and cleaned it real well. I masked the internal portions of the plate (cut out a small round piece from a paper plate and taped it on) where the mounting screws and breather holes come out just so I was sure I didn't interfere with the breather operation by getting paint in the holes. Since this will be covered by the air cleaner, it didn't need to be painted.

Picked up a couple "hot toppers" from a local dealer to cap the breather bolts with a bit of chrome to give it that contrast look, but they weren't wide enough cover the washer portion of the bolts...so I masked the hex head portion of the bolt and then painted the only the "washer" portion of the bolts as well. See, this is what happens when there's snow on the ground and you have entirely too much time on your hands that should be better spent in the saddle.

I've seen a few questions and posts on this issue so I figured I'd let everyone know how easy it really is. Now, the jury is still out since I haven't run it on the bike yet and I'm hoping I don't end up with any issues with the paint, but I think I'll be ok.

SE Backplate painted it black...look how easy!-img_1217.jpg

SE Backplate painted it black...look how easy!-img_1221.jpg

SE Backplate painted it black...look how easy!-img_1223.jpg

Last edited by BigTKC; 03-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job. Thinking about doing it myself.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that is a great idea! I like the contrast.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet! Thanks for the pictures. I have the Fuel Moto one and although works great Did not like the cast ears showing up. Plan on painting mine before the bike hits the road this spring.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM
BigTKC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing, the toppers for the breather bolts are "higher" than the origninal bolt head. So, depending on what type of cover you use for your AC, they may interfere since they stick out beyond the face of the plate where the breather bolt holes are. I plan on using an open filter element with a cover only over the end of the filter, so I won't have this issue. Just something to consider when using the bolt head toppers. Once I get it on the bike, I'll post some follow up pics too...

Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

BigTKC....I did the same thing to mine last fall. Used harley engine spray paint.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

yup painted mine last summer works great, had no problems.used high temp paint.painted the whole thing,looks good.
roger

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I painted my Ness BS with VHT wrinkle black & its a good match.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

awesome mod ,did the same this winter,just painted where visable,kewl good stuff

Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

- and as an option the Ness BS in chrome can be bought for about $115 shipped from easternpc on ebay.

the chrome looks good against the motor- and is way easier to wipe clean on wash day because of it's smooth surface

not that I would trash an S/E instead of paint, but if shopping for an hi flow kit the ness could be the way to go- I think the ness is a tidier install

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-26-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: SE Backplate painted it black...look how easy!