Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NB O2 sensors necessary w/ PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Scottie3000
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NB O2 sensors necessary w/ PCV?

I purchased the Fuel Moto Stage 1 kit with the FM 2-1-2 headpipe. Since I got the PCV with it, do I need to transfer over the O2 sensors from the old headpipe or can I just put the bungs in?

I Don't mind transfering them but don't feel the need to deal with it if there is no benefit (IE the signal they provide is disregarded with the PCV system). Also will removing them cause a CEL?

I did a search, but didn't come up with a clear answer. Most of the talk was about Narrow band vs. wide band.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't see where bungs would be a problem. Use anti-seize on the threads and hang onto the sensors in case down the road you want to try the AT.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Scottie3000
6th Gear

The AT uses the larger wide band O2 sensors right?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

wide band yes........not sure if they are larger but may be in your 2010 application. I have 07 and 08 models. If you are able to ride this weekend throw in the bungs and go, call FM Monday about the AT fitment.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Scottie3000
6th Gear

I'm not really interested in the AT at this time. I was just looking to free up the breathing and cool it down some. So is the signal from the stock O2 sensors used at all for anything once I install the PCV?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Are you running AT?

If you are not running AT, the PCV does not use the sensors. The PCV should have gave you jumpers for the O2 input to the ECM.

If you are planning to use AT in the future with the PCV you will get wide band sensors to replace the stock (narrow band) sensors.

You can leave the stock sensors or replace with plugs if not using AT. As someone mentioned, if you pull them, dont drop them, and put antiseize on whatever you put in the sensor hole.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Scottie3000
6th Gear

Cool, thanks for the help! I'm putting the bungs in and throwing them back on the bike right now before it gets dark (in Europe).

Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Scottie3000
6th Gear

OK, so I got the header on and I'm having a few complications with the rest (aren't there ALWAYS complications?).

1. I can't get the small bracket that supports the cross over pipe up enough to thread it into the hole. It like it won't slide right enough for the flat part that the bracket fits around is aligned with the hole. The bracket has a hard time closing since where the hole is, the cross over starts to become less flat again.

2. The right side muffler is dangerously close to the rear axle bolt. I'd say is is around 1mm of clearance so if there were any dip in the road and the suspension extended, it would surely contact the muffler.

I should mention that this is the Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers. Is there a way to adjust everything to it fits better or is my header maybe out of spec? It seems that once you tighten the pipes into the exhaust studs, the position is pretty much set.

Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser

A couple options;

If you have snugged up any part of the system, loosen all attachment points and loose fit the entire system to get the clearences you need. Keep in mind that the Jackpot mufflers don't have the indentures that the stock mufflers had so you will be closer in that regard.

Option two would be to install the crossover pipe in the bracket before you insert the header and the muffler. Then loose fit and finalize your installation.

The FuelMoto parts fit so don't get discouraged.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottie3000
OK, so I got the header on and I'm having a few complications with the rest (aren't there ALWAYS complications?).

1. I can't get the small bracket that supports the cross over pipe up enough to thread it into the hole. It like it won't slide right enough for the flat part that the bracket fits around is aligned with the hole. The bracket has a hard time closing since where the hole is, the cross over starts to become less flat again.

2. The right side muffler is dangerously close to the rear axle bolt. I'd say is is around 1mm of clearance so if there were any dip in the road and the suspension extended, it would surely contact the muffler.

I should mention that this is the Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers. Is there a way to adjust everything to it fits better or is my header maybe out of spec? It seems that once you tighten the pipes into the exhaust studs, the position is pretty much set.

Thoughts?

For the crossover support to line up you will need to get the head pipe positioned properly first by loosening the mounting bolt at the transmission leaving it loose until you are finished, this will allow you to adjust the pipe away from the motor. This will give the muffler slighly more clearance as well, the muffler will be close to the axle bolt but it will not touch. For installing the crossover and hinge clamp you will rotate the pipe at a downward angle (oulet toward the rear of the bike and pointing downward) and then slide it on the headpipe outlet (be careful not to damage the gasket) when it is slid together simply rotate the pipe up and into place. Also make sure you are using the OEM tapered style exhaust gaskets.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 02-26-2011 at 09:45 AM.