Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide vs Road glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Mike Willmont
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Street glide vs Road glide

I was at my local HD today goofing off. I am not looking to buy but I am interested if there is any difference in the stearing with a fixed fairing ( Street Glide) compared to a Road glide.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I think they drive differently. I would recommend trying both bikes before deciding.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Road Glide belongs to the very exclusive secret society of the shark nose and is by invite only. If you haven't received an invite you don't need to worry about it.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,007 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePointman
The Road Glide belongs to the very exclusive secret society of the shark nose and is by invite only. If you haven't received an invite you don't need to worry about it.

Not so exclusive anymore!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM
djw479
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is much feedback that the RG's fixed fairing provides a lighter steering feel at low speeds as there's less weight directly on the front forks. I agree with that statement, but it is not a tremendous difference.

On a RG at highway speeds there is definitely less buffeting when passing a large semi or other vehicle that displaces mucho air. Some claim if there's strong side-winds that the RG can be pushed sideways more & while I've experinced it, its even less of a difference that the fork-weight issue mentioned above. My friends and I like to swap between my RG & their Ultra Classics to compare in varying conditions. Its easier-achieved than trying to swap girlfriends/wives!?!

Rider's height makes choosing a RG windshield's height and style more sensitive due to being inches forward of where the batwing windshield resides. So its easier to find a SG WS that protects you than on a RG. But for me I'll deal with finding the right windshield, as I like to extra space between rider & dashboard...coming from a unfaired RoadKing the batwing-style felt too cramped for me.

Biggest difference is what the owner wants & likes to look at. The SG's batwing has been HD's traditional/popular touring look for many years. The RG's style is starting to be more accepted as HD expands the model line to include the Custom, Ultra & CVO versions...check out how many custom builders are jumping on the RG bandwagon. Why are they doing that? To be different.

But there are still many narrower-minded folks who feel the RG is Fugly...a word most RG owners take as a complement, being as its normally from someone who is a staunch traditionalist.

Check out roadglide.org sometime if you want to explore the sharknose sub-culture...members refer to it as "the secret society".

So to each his own...at least we're all riding an American tradition.

Last edited by djw479; 02-25-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 477 Likes on 125 Posts

hat a batwing 10 years, after owning a shark nose I'd never go back

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM
suey 1958
Cruiser

I visited the Greenville Progressive Insurance Motorcycle show today. (well worth the 15 bucks, I was Surprised) They had a SG and a RG very close so I really gave the SG a close look for comparison. Since I own a RG I am familiar with it. I was really surprised at the difference when you are sitting in the cockpit. I will agree that the batwing is better looking from the outside, but IMO there is no comparison WHEN IN THE SEAT. The RG is SO different I cant imagine anyone liking the wimpy looking batwing fairing better than the RG fairing from the riders position. I do like the SG handlebars much better. I guess my arms are too short. JMHO

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Aslan
Road Master

The Bat and the Shark are both great bikes.
There is no final answer as to which one is best.
It is a very individual thing that is why MOCO makes both styles.
Buy the one you think feels, handles, and looks the best to you.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,503 Likes on 10,786 Posts

"the dual headlights don't turn when the handle bars turn as you round a corner".......
I laugh every time I hear that comment....
(neither do the headlights in my truck !! )

Best of luck making your decision.....

Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The only difference I know for sure is that one is f-u-g-l-y and the other is a batwing.

Quick Reply: Street glide vs Road glide