Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle cables

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Ultrachris
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle cables

I had a bad experience this weekend, i had my throttle stick wide open while passing a truck. i ended up shutting the ignition off and coasting over to the shoulder. this happened once before last summer. i know i need to have them replaced. i am somewhat of a grease monkey, however i have never replaced cables on a bike before. my shop quoted me a price of $125.00 for parts and labor. should i let them do it or do it myself. 1997 ultra fuel injected.
chris

Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultrachris
I had a bad experience this weekend, i had my throttle stick wide open while passing a truck. i ended up shutting the ignition off and coasting over to the shoulder. this happened once before last summer. i know i need to have them replaced. i am somewhat of a grease monkey, however i have never replaced cables on a bike before. my shop quoted me a price of $125.00 for parts and labor. should i let them do it or do it myself. 1997 ultra fuel injected.
chris

Have you tried just lubeing them? If you have to replace them you are the only one that knows if you have the skills to do it. It is very simple but I would suggest you have the manual to help you.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Please either lubricate or replace them! Caskets are much more expensive than cables!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And their not as much fun as a bike!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

my shop quoted me a price of $125.00 for parts and labor. should i let them do it or do it myself.
Sounds like you should let the shop do it.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
slyder
Road Master

you couldnt roll the throttle back? Wow! those cables must be really crappy cause with a push pull throttle you should always be able to roll the throttle back unless of course a cable is broke.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Try some INOX cable lube. Available on e-barf for around 15 bucks. Good stuff.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Ultrachris
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it was a hairy deal for a couple of seconds, i beat on the throttle like a mad man while the throttle was wide open. pulled the clutch and it was WOT, like i said i just turned the bike off and cruised to the side of the road. the bike has always had a smooth throttle and return and it doesn;t ever hang. this is the second time it has happened and both times i was throwing the hammer on it.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser

chris

Another thing to check is the throttle lock. Make sure it is loose and is not screwed in tight doing what it is designed to do and that is to hold the throttle open for cruising and not letting it return to idle. This happens a lot.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
slyder
Road Master

Might want to also check your throttle body and make sure it moves smoothly. I remove that damn throttle drag thingy on my bikes.......hate em. I use an "on/off" throttle lock cruise control device that works with your thumb.

Quick Reply: throttle cables