Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I say "Good-bye" with much sadness....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck and hope those daughters appreciate what Dad is doing for them. Of course you could always get'em to join the National Guard, at least here is Missouri for 6 yr enlistment, they get their college paid for..See you in the wind.

Joe

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
po1192
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick around, its just your time to help others. Educate us!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not in your shoes but this I know. You are not going to get enough for your bike to make a dent so keep and look at other alternatives.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Boomer 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to a tax attorney. I was preparing my taxes the other day and when it came to trying to find deductions for my girls, turbo tax asked me:
How did your girls college get paid for:
- scholarship/grants
- by you
- by job tuition assistance
- by other

I transferred my GI BIll to my girls to assist in paying for their college. Just to see what the different options did for my refund, I entered "by me" and WOW! My refund jumped up to cover almost the entire cost of the tuition for a semester. I ended up choosing "job tuition assistance and it stayed the same. Bummer.

But the point is, talk to your tax attoney to see how much you actually get back in deductions and it may mean you can keep your bike because you will get most of the money back at tax time.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Selling a bike to put kids through college is admirable but, there's easier ways to finance school and selling your bike aint going to put a dent in total cost. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Best wishes UltraKlassic, you will be missed here on the forum.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Darren while it's sad to see you depart we both know you've made the right choice and in the same breath, we both know you'll be back. Thanks for all of your help over the years.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo6
Selling a bike to put kids through college is admirable but, there's easier ways to finance school and selling your bike aint going to put a dent in total cost. Good luck.
+1

The 15k or so you might get for the bike won't save you from going broke putting kids through college if YOU are planning to pay for their college. It won't even scratch the surface. Better to go broke and still have a bike. However, use one of the many financial aid programs out there to get them the funding they'll need. I have 6 siblings. Nearly everyone of us has a Masters. None of us had Dad pay for it. So many programs out there...

Now if you're simply tired of the bike...

lp

Last edited by lp; 02-25-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
It's just a motorcycle. Nothing more.
Maybe so, but to many of us that motorcycle is a hobby that gives us many enjoyable hours, provides an escape from the 9-5, and lets us explore places or experience things we might not otherwise explore or experience. I would be totally bummed if i had to get rid of mine. I can understand where UK is coming from.

Let's hope your daughter doesn't go on the 7 year plan like mine did and that you are back in the saddle again soon! Hope you stick around the forum and help out us wrench-impared folks

Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You did what you wanted to do, nothing wrong with that, your girls are lucky. Whoever got your bike is super lucky. Stick around and keep in touch, I liked reading your threads!

Quick Reply: I say "Good-bye" with much sadness....