Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I say "Good-bye" with much sadness....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been riding harleys since 1969 never made up an excuse of any kind when i quit riding ,hey wait i haven't stopped riding.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad to hear Darren but I know exactly where you are coming from. My oldest is in her first year of a not so inexpensive college. She got an amazing amount of scholarships but it doesn't cover everything by a long shot. My ex and her husband split the remainder with my wife and I but it still isn't cheap. Who knows if gas continues to rise and the economy keeps getting worse I may be forced to sell mine in favor of her education. But it would be a sacrifice I would make without thinking twice.

You did the right thing and your girls will appreciate you forever.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough call only you can and did make.........I am sure the daughters understand the sacrifice and are appreciative of what Dad is doing. I won't say you will be missed as I suspect in a month or two you will be on here keeping track of things since one day you will be back on a bike.

Don't sell the jack and the tools. Who knows, sometime soon you might find a neglected beater to rebuild over time on a pay-as-go basis. Could be fun applying your skills to a worn out 20 y/o Sportster or (gasp) someones throw away metric. Good Luck and hope/plan to see you on here bike or not soon!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM
VTX03R-GoSooners
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you get another soon!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

Thanks again for the kind comments and compliments.

The gentleman rode the bike off yesterday and I will say this, it may not be the hardest thing I will ever go through, but it was the hardest thing I've had to do to date. That hurt. ugggghhhh.....

Turn the page......................

Ride safe fellas.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've read 6 pages of how your a great Dad. That being said Yes your heart is in the right place for the girls
I know for a fact that you've took them out for sunday rides and the quality time you've spent with each of them. Including your wife.
Your family obviously knows how you feel about your bike. (You cant put a bike like that together with out them having a clue) If they allow you to sell it for them is pretty damn selfish to me.
Your girls are off to school and the warm winds of spring are in the air and there you and your wife sit no bike.You'll be pacing the floor.
IMO You are setting yourself up to be miserable. Your going to be sick over this.
They need to get a job and live at home til school is thru.
One thing to remember.Family comitment only goes so far. sometimes it has to about YOU.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You'll be missed but...

YOU'LL BE BACK!!!!!

And there are always rentals until you buy a new one.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Darren.....
You sure have made alot of friends here thru out the years..Glad to consider myself one of them!!! Take care...Please stop in from time to time to say hello!!! C-Ya.........Tim....

Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are a class act Darren! I hope it works out well for you. You can always build another bike!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

do we get kicked out of the club when we sell our rides or something? Did I miss that during the initiation?

Just because you are between rides doesn't mean you have to go sit in the corner.

Hang out, contribute your knowledge to the newbies, and eventually you'll get another bike.

Over on one of the rice bike forums I post to, it is not unusual for someone to sell their bike ( usually after 7 or 8 years) but we still welcome them with open arms, even if they buy a Harley, or a Ducatti, or even a Triumph, but very rarely a Honda.

Stick around....

Quick Reply: I say "Good-bye" with much sadness....