Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bore Project Part Three

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up and also a great experience I am sure. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I for one really appreciate your time and effort!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had some good weather today, so I fired the bike up and started to break the engine in. Instead of nursing the bike for the first fifty miles, I went with the recommendation run a bit harder. I took the bike out onto the road and ran through a series of accelerations from idle to 4000 rpm - about ten runs total. Maybe it was me but the bike felt like it was gaining power as I progressed through the runs. I rode about sixty miles frequently varying the engine speeds on back roads and a short stretch of highway.

And now for my first impression. Wow, the 107 has a ton of power! The difference is extremely noticeable. It is amazing how much more power the bike has but it has completely maintained an outstanding ride at cruise. Fuel Moto's base map for my setup is about as good as you can get without putting the bike on a dyno. I changed over to Rinehart True Duals more for aesthetics and sound reasons than trying to maximize performance. One word explains my sentiments on going with the 107 matched with the Rinehart TD's. Outstanding! Yes, I can have better performance and probably a cleaner torque curve had I stayed with my stock crossovers and the Jackpots, but I couldn't resist.

I'm not a bandwagon kind of guy, but once again Fuel Moto has done right by me. To recap my performance gains, the Fuel Moto stage 1 with the Jackpots gave me slightly more power. Nothing to brag about, but still nice. The cam swap made a very significant improvement in performance and was worth it. Moving to the 107 was the biggest performance gain yet. I can't imagine what it would have been like had I went from stock straight to the Fuel Moto 107 kit.

Bottom line is I am beyond thrilled and can hardly wait to put a ton of miles on this riding season!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Atrain! You lucky devil we still have over 12 inchs of snow on the ground.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you had any dyno pulls or tuning? If so, post a chart.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior

Not yet. I decided to install the 68t final drive sprocket to increase the gear ratio to the 09-10 ratio's. Cheap and only a one hour project. After that I will tune with TTS and then later see what the dyno thinks.

During breaks in the weather I have really enjoyed the performance gains from this project. I really notice a big difference across the whole range, but the midrange stands out the most - 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. This probably has a lot to do with my cam selection, but whatever the case, this build combo has made me extremely happy. I think I will be even happier once I get everything fine tuned.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master

Originally Posted by atrain68
Not yet. I decided to install the 68t final drive sprocket to increase the gear ratio to the 09-10 ratio's. Cheap and only a one hour project. After that I will tune with TTS and then later see what the dyno thinks.
You're never going to know what performance you got out of the head work.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Awesome write up, great work! Glad to hear you are enjoying the new power.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
You're never going to know what performance you got out of the head work.
I hear what you are saying. I know I have the option of getting a baseline dyno run without the sprocket, but I am undecided whether it really matters to me or not to get that kind of information. I am less concerned about the numbers and more interested in tuning my final (for now) setup.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master

Originally Posted by atrain68
I hear what you are saying. I know I have the option of getting a baseline dyno run without the sprocket, but I am undecided whether it really matters to me or not to get that kind of information. I am less concerned about the numbers and more interested in tuning my final (for now) setup.
A buddy with a stock 96", stage 1 and thundermax did the tranny and wheel sprocket change and he spanks my 107" hard! Granted he's riding a Night Train, but still, I got nothing for him in any gear.

Fuel Moto is officially building and testing heads, I'll post my numbers in due time.

I've enjoyed reading your thread. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:47 PM
thegoschman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent Posting!
First time Harley owner and I'm going through the same with my 04 Night Train.
You said that the heads were powder coated. The actual intake/exhaust ports had this in them??? I wondered because the intake on mine had areas of black and areas of bare metal. I thought that this was from back firing or something.
What was your secret to removing the old gasket material from the heads?

Quick Reply: Big Bore Project Part Three