Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 FLHTC Front Brake drag

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2007 FLHTC Front Brake drag

Need help guys,
Front brake (L/H) drags...

1. Cleaned dust..etc etc..didn't work.
2. Rebuilt both brake calipers...seals, and new pads
3.Checked disc for warp.none..(if I had any it would pulse when braking)
4.checked and rechecked axle spacers and alignment..
I even ops checked the brakes off the rotor, just used a piece of metal as a rotor
Funny part...
When you pull the brake handle very slightly the dragging goes away.
I rode the bike to work (30 Miles) and did not use the front brake and the L/H disc is about 20-30 degrees warmer.
You can hear it dragging 10 mph and below...

I'm gonna rebuild the brake calipers again and try it if you guys don't have any other ideas.

Thanks in advance, once again I can count of the forum for results

Last edited by katobird; 04-17-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has done it since the beginning, so did my Wide Glide, doesn't appear to hurt anything other than being annoying. Here is a how-to from Lyndall brake pads on this, but sounds to me like you've pretty much covered the bases.

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,166 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Mine drags with a rotor warp...i have put 57000 miles ....RADIO saved me.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a similar issue I just noticed yesterday on my 2005 RK. I just put new tires on it a few weeks ago. I've probably only put 200 miles on it since I got the tires put on, but yesterday coming home from work I noticed it. Something on the bike sounded like it was howling a little I thought that maybe the belt was to tight or that I was just hearing the nice new tread on the tires. But then once I came up to a stop light and started slowing down I could really hear it up front. I got home and ate some dinner and then took the bike around the neighborhood and did not touch the front brake for the 10 min that I drove it around. When I pulled back in the garage the front right rotor was Hot and the left was cool.

Did you ever get your problem figured out? I am assuming that I am going to have to pull the calipers, but I have never rebuilt any before so I have no idea what I am getting into...

Thanks
Phil

Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

Mine does the same thing, I swapped out floating rotors and it's better, but it still drags.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
gaber6
Cruiser

Aren't brakes supposed to drag just slightly anyway? If they didn't, when it rained, it would take longer to stop. I wouldn't worry too much about either side getting a little warmer. Mine drag. My last bikes brakes dragged.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Mine are dragging enough that when the front tire is off the ground it does not spin freely and takes a bit of muscle to get it to turn at all. I just finished rebuilding my calipers and I am going to flush the brake fluid in the morning and see if she is good to go again or not. While reading through the manual tonight before putting the calipers back together I noticed a Warning that says
Verify proper operation of the master cylinder relief port. A plugged or covered relief port can cause brake drag or wheel lockup and may lead to loss of vehicle control, which could result in death or serious injury.
Then the step that follows says.
Actuacte the brake lever. A slight spurt of fluid will break the surface if all internal components are working properly
I should mention that the step before the warning has you removing the cover from the master cylinder.

I guess I will find out tomorrow if the calipers did the trick for me.

Phil

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 AM
katobird
Road Warrior

I ended up rebuilding both calipers,new fluid,new pads, (relief port is "ol Faithful"),

I found the brake pads had slight wear on the alignment pins, yes one is slightly slotted. This caused the pad to **** alittle, verified this inspecting old brake pad one corner was not as worn. I found this out after the caliper rebuild as my original brakes were only about 15% worn compared to new set (over 30K on them).

But with new pads installed it is alittle quieter and I rode to work (30 miles) with no front braking and the L/H roter was slightly warmer than the right.

It is still louder than "normal" but I'm still working on it.
I'm going to mess with the anti rattle clip next for tension....

"it's a simple damn system but giving me a headache"

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 AM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by katobird
I ended up rebuilding both calipers,new fluid,new pads, (relief port is "ol Faithful"),

I found the brake pads had slight wear on the alignment pins, yes one is slightly slotted. This caused the pad to **** alittle, verified this inspecting old brake pad one corner was not as worn. I found this out after the caliper rebuild as my original brakes were only about 15% worn compared to new set (over 30K on them).

But with new pads installed it is alittle quieter and I rode to work (30 miles) with no front braking and the L/H roter was slightly warmer than the right.

It is still louder than "normal" but I'm still working on it.
I'm going to mess with the anti rattle clip next for tension....

"it's a simple damn system but giving me a headache"
Glad that you have it going in the right direction. I bought new pads too but the pads I have on there are still almost new. Not going to replace them yet going to try it with the old pads and see how it goes. I was going to go out and ride it this morning but it is freakn snowing. Damn midwest weather. Started the week in the 80's and ending it with snow.

Phil

Quick Reply: 2007 FLHTC Front Brake drag