Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Pro Pipes Discolored

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default V&H Pro Pipes Discolored

Spent a week in Florida. 850 miles. Pipes are purple and splotchy and at some places all the finish came off and it rusted. Working on getting them warrantied. I had the dealer install the pipes, A/C, and tuner before I picked up the bike.

I was told it may be a sign of running lean but the discoloration is the entire length of the pipes not just at the heads. The bike only backfired a couple times at decel, it did sound "flat" a couple times after coming off the highway and hitting town traffic but I could have been imagining it, and the heat off the engine never "felt" abnormal or uncomfortable to the point that I was concerned. Started without issues even when hot.

Attached Thumbnails V&H Pro Pipes Discolored-pipes-1.jpg   V&H Pro Pipes Discolored-pipes-2.jpg   V&H Pro Pipes Discolored-pipes-3.jpg   V&H Pro Pipes Discolored-pipes-4.jpg   V&H Pro Pipes Discolored-pipes-5.jpg  

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks! Have you looked at your plugs for a lean condition? Decel pop can be a sign of an exhaust leak, not saying this is your reason. Did the dealer do a dyno? The discoloration and rusting obviously is not a sign of a lean condition. Whatever coating that was put on the pipes, it wasn't done right. Hope they square it with you.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u can't get who u bought them from to replace them, then call HTC jet hott and have them stripped and coated. Looks like a poor coat job to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Only popped a couple times on decel and I think that is because I loaded it up. Haven't checked the plugs. Not a believer in dyno for a mostly stock street bike; if they tuned it properly with the SE tuner it should be ok. I don't want to mess with tuner settings until I talk to the dealer.

Chip

Originally Posted by smokindave
That sucks! Have you looked at your plugs for a lean condition? Decel pop can be a sign of an exhaust leak, not saying this is your reason. Did the dealer do a dyno? The discoloration and rusting obviously is not a sign of a lean condition. Whatever coating that was put on the pipes, it wasn't done right. Hope they square it with you.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking at those photos reminded me of my trips to Florida. Salt loaded ocean air breezes! I usually had to wash my bike at least twice to get that crap off.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Just got back from the dealer: Rochester HD. They told me not to sweat it; they ordered a new set of pipes while I was there and told me they would let me know when to bring it in for the swap.

Hoethree: I made sure I gave it a good washing before I put it back away!

Chip

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

SALT, I go to the coast her in N Cali all the time. same problem with the whole bike. but I'm not sure the salt would make the finish come off unless it was able to get under the coating some how.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen that on a couple of those V&H H.O. (ceramic coated) pipes. I've never had a problem with the chrome pipes.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

v&h coating is no good.had their indy on my v-rod and it all peeled off.was even running there map which when they dynoed it they said was reel rich.for what they cost it should have a premium coating.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I've seen that on a couple of those V&H H.O. (ceramic coated) pipes. I've never had a problem with the chrome pipes.
My wife's black V&H short shots held up really good; no complaints.

Quick Reply: V&H Pro Pipes Discolored