Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System Fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Never leave your Security Fob on or in your bike Take it with you. I know a lot of times I forget to bring it out to the garage, and bike the first time. Some times when on a ride I will put it in the saddle bag in my hat, so when we stop and I go into the bag to get my hat there is the fob and key in the hat, then I lock the ignition. Some times I will even lock the steering just to be safe. You never know who is watching ! Don't forget to put new batteries in the fobs every two or three years, that my smart a$$ opinion.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,904 Likes on 19,365 Posts

Originally Posted by glook1
I am fairly new to owning the newer bikes, never had one with a security system. Everytime I am in my shop and want to start my scoot the alarm fob is on the bar in the house. What do the rest of y'all do with yours? Put them in the saddle bags? I know this type of question brings out the smart a$$ in people so take your best shot. I'd also like to hear from the more serious crowd also.
I went through the same thing when I first got the new ride ... what a pain in the ***! Then I kind of got use to it .... just like my wife!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned how to work the code system for emergencies (dead batteries, lost fob etc.) If I'm in the garage and want to move the bike for some reason I'll just put in my security code. It's a good idea to know how to work the code and using it in the garage keeps my knowledge sharp. The only time I lock the ignition is when I'm on the road with the bike and I leave it outside over night. I also have a spare key on the bike incase I loose the fob or the battery goes dead.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the short amount of time I got to ride my new Limited before comming back to Iraq, whenever I do anything that involves the bike, the fob and key goes in my pocket. When parked (even in the garage) the ignition, steering, tourpack and saddle bags get locked. 48 more days to go boys then its bonding time with my new scoot (after faimly time of course,lol) Stay safe everyone and keep the shiney side up.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
mazeppa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep the key and FLOB on a common key ring on an inside pocket of my riding jacket, the jacket is kept inside the house when I am not using the bike, it is too far away to deactivate the security system on the bike in the garage. When I am in the garage and do not have my riding jacket/FLOB nearby I use the override procedure.

But I wish my bike did not have the security system including the humongous FLOB, I HATE IT. I could live with just a key, or at least a security system key like the newer automotive keys and other motorcycle manufactories use.

Guaranteed, I do not have nor would have the optional siren for the security system; I do have insurance.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my keys in the kitchen, if I am going to ride my bike I stick the key fob in my pants pocket and leave it there. My suggestion to you is keep a spare battery somewhere on the bike sooner or later you may need it.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

whats a 'FLOB'?

Originally Posted by mphamrick
My suggestion to you is keep a spare battery somewhere on the bike sooner or later you may need it.
i know that i am in the minority, but i disagree. why keep a battery hanging around that is losing it's charge? learn how to use the disarm code, ride like normal, and when your battery goes dead, just make a stop and pick one up? it's not like there isn't a walmart or dollar store on just about every corner

Last edited by skratch; 02-23-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As stated before it is best you know the procedure to manually over-ride the security system in the event you forget to bring your FOB or you misplace or the battery goes dead on it along the way. You should have already changed the dealers PIN to one you can remember. If you haven't look in your manual find out how to change it. If you look in your owners manual you will find a handy little card you can remove and carry in your wallet.

To use the manual method you will have to do the following;

NOTE: if 12345 was PIN (a)=1 (b)=2 (c)=3 (d)=4 and (e)=5

1. Turn IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn switches in until 5 dashes appear in odometer window.

2. Enter first digit of code (a) by pressing left turn signal switch (a) times.

3. Press right turn switch 1 time.

4. Enter second digit of code (b) by pressing left turn switch (b) times

5. Press right turn switch 1 time.

6. Enter third digit of code (c) by pressing left turn signal switch (c) times.

7. Press right turn switch 1 time.

8. Enter fourth digit of code (d) by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

8. Press right turn switch 1 time.

9. Enter fifth digit of code (e) by pressing left turn signal switch (e) times.

10. Press right turn switch 1 time.

Security system will deactivate and you can now start bike. Everytime you stop it you will have to deactivate it in order to start it again.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Leave the keys on the bikes unless out and about.

Mark

Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I carry the FOB on a carabiner, along with the bottle opener, hooked on my belt loop when riding. At home, when in the garage, I leave the key in the bike and FOB in the laundry room. Just gotta remember to grab the FOB if I want to go out to the bike.

Quick Reply: Security System Fob