Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco

Your right. That is why I am keeping my superglide98 with 36000miles on it. Alot of people are having these problems. I went to a dealer and started playing with them. I asked a bout any problems with them as I was signing for a new bike. Had my buddy call me on my cellphone asI was just about to sign the contractand tell me not to buy one cause of tranny problems and running hot. The stealer could not believe that he just lost a sale within seconds. That might send a message back to the company that people are hearing about these problems.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

think It would take many probs for anything to really change. Like a back slide with amf buying hd again? the 07 in (general)are heading forward imo

Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Yeah I agree. HD is not going to do a thing about the few of us with "tranny" problems. There is just not enough of us.
I don't hate HD for that, I'm a realist. If it bothers me enough in the future I'll just sell it. For now I'm still enjoyingthe bike.

For the record, I have a bud that has an 07 EG. His makes no noise, I'm not talking whine, rocks....
So maybe I'll trade mine in, in09 when they are water cooled!!!... JK

lp

Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't exactly complaining about it not working right.
Mine was corrected about 11 months ago.
I knew what the problem was and the dealer did it under warranty.
My point is, HD has known it for at least 7 years.
And if ONLY one person complained to MOCO about it, they should
verify the complaint and once verified (how can it not be?) make factory
correction to the sensor location, or put something else in place of that gauge.

Why don't they?
Because they found out that a lot of dumb a$$es will just go to the dealer listen to
and believe a SILLY LAME A$$ explanation and either walk away (which cost MOCO
nothing) or they will buy the HD oil temp gauge and the MOCO just made MORE MONEY
off you.
WHY????

BECAUSE YOU DID NOT STAND UP FOR YOUR SELF AND DEMAND THAT SINCE IT IS UNDER WARRANTY BE FIXED AND FIXED RIGHT.
that is my point on this and all the other complaints people here believe are legitmate.
Until you band together and force the moco to fix stuff right, they will continue on.
so how many different and silly a$$ explanations are there out there on the gauge,
the lugging, the overheating, the different annoying tranny noises, etc.
And you all just sit here and whine and think things will be better in 08, 09 or whenever.

I would find it hard to lug my bike at 20mph in 6th gear when I only have 5 gears.
and I was not going too slow for 5th gear.
There is a definite problem that has shown up in the basic configuration of the bike.
And rather than do a thorough step by step diagnosis and find the problem, they keep blaming the non HD part they sold me and then go off on another tangent and just throw stuff at it hoping to get lucky. And NEVER test their theory of the NON HD part.
and each time they GUARANTEE it is now fixed right. Guess what it isn't and the last happening (failure) was worse than any other time and at a much lower speed.

ORIGINAL: skratch

no tricks, after all, choo choo, the little engine that thought he could thinks i'm a troll for the moco. but i'm just a guy who doesn't try to do 20 mph in 6th gear and then sue the moco cause my bike doesn't like it.

just remember little twain, i'm not the one who started with the smart *** personal attacks. just figured that if you were gonna complain about the air temp guage being inaccurate, then you might want the solution to fix that. but apparently, instead, you would rather bitch about how the big bad mean moco is doing you so wrong and telling others to **** up a rope.....

Old 04-30-2007, 12:46 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD ONE! skratch!!!!!

ORIGINAL: choochoo

The air gauge is an AMBIENT AIR TEMP (Do you know what that means).
Meaning it is supposed to read the outside air temp.
yeah, i know what that means. and as long as were gonna be smart asses, i also know enough not to try and pass a car if my bike isn't running right....

Old 04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
choochoo
Banned

See to you the air temp is a minor thing but tranny isn't.
To someone that doesn't have the tranny noise the air temp gauge could be major.
to each his own.
But the basic point is, major or minor if it isn't right and it's under warranty the MOCO
should make it right immediately.
Bunch of you spent $100 + dollars plus time on replacing the gauge.
How many spent the $999 + on the baker six speed or will?
Now is the baker six speed configured the same as the HD (spurs and helicals in same gears)
same ratio etc?
But doesn't make noise.
If you go buy it HD just got you again.
What about the SCREAMING EAGLE 6 speed, all straight cut gears. what issues does it have?

HD's new 6 speed came out on the 06 dyna's right?( I'm old and got crs disease)
Does it have all these issues? If not, then what did HD change for 07 and in the baggers?
Dynas don't have big fairings and windshields (some windshields) and they're not making any big complaints that I'm aware of.
so you're going to believe a dealer when he says you hear it because of the short windshield?
Same as telling me the air temp gauge reads the air intake to the engine, or the engine temp.
Hoping I'm gullible enough to buy it and walk away!!!!!
Point is get on hd'S A$$ AND DON'T LET GO TILL THEY MAKE IT RIGHT.
ORIGINAL: bgcheese

Hi, I'm new here. Why can't we all just get along?? Who needs an ait temp indication, anyhow?? Hot is hot, cold is cold. If you want to know to what extent, ride by a bank facrissake! To me, it's an unissue.

The tranny thing is real, though. My first harley was a '75 Sporster, then an '82 FLH, an '05 Super-Glide, and now an '07 Road King Classic. The sporty didn't much like to be "lugged" around town, but the FLH and the SG didn't/don't mind it at all--and I kinda like it, too. But the RKC can't stand it. It sounds like it wnats to come from together.

The story. Similar to many others, I'm sure:

I went to take delivery on a vivid black RKC. The dealer spent all afternoon chasing a noise in the front end (they never found it, by the way) At closing time, I rode the thing 100 miles home and 2 miles down the road, noticed this "chatter". I was sick. Just spent a small fortune on a new scoot and was sure i was screwed. So I calls the dealer the next morning and told him that I had a major problem in my drive train and I didn't want the motorcycle. He asked me if I liked another color as I got the only black one. So i Says I like the red/black and he says come and get it. So I did. But before I swapped, I rode it and guess what--the same noise, but not as pronounced as the black one. The service mgr says some things like "it's normal" and "i'm not used to the windshiielsd and all the things I can hear that I couldn't before", etc. I think, 2 new RK's same noise, must be normal, so i rides it home--the red/black one--so I don't have to come back 100 miles again and maybe again over the front end noise thing.

Now 1800 miles later I still got the noise and find out many other riders do too, and many other riders don't. So in summary:
[ul][*]Please, try to get along, here.[*]I don't care what the air temperature is. If it's too cold, I stay inside, if it's not, I ride. I don't care how hot it gets, I ride. I could use a humidity sensor, though, so I can tell if it's raining out. C'mon already.[*]I'm tired of hearing "you can't lug the thing around" Bullsh*t! I've been lugging them around town for years--that's what they're for, dammit![*]The tranny thing is a real problem. Harley has a problem, here--What they do about it remains to be seen--But I will not let it go--Tennessee has a lemon law--I'll make them fix it or replace my scoot until I end up with one that's right.[/ul]

Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
choochoo
Banned

Actually yes it is pretty accurate.
I fill it up it says full on the gauge.
approximately 200 miles later the gauge reads empty and the bike dies.
I open the fuel tank and look inside and sure enough it is empty.
Haven't figured out yet where it all went too.
But noticed it must be normal operation as my other bikes do it too and
so does my truck.
don't see it leaking on the ground so don't know where it's going!

oh, we all get along. like a big family, sometimes there are disagreements, but we'll all help out if needed. silly me, i actually thought choo might have actually wanted to fix something. i didn't know he just wanted to bitch. hey choo, is your fuel guage accurate? add that to your list when you go see your lawyer.

I'm tired of hearing "you can't lug the thing around" Bullsh*t! I've been lugging them around town for years--that's what they're for, dammit!
I bought the first 07 that my dealer sold, back in Jul of last year. i never had any problems with tranny noise, etc. but, i am a relative newbie when it comes to hd. bought my sportster in 02. i never got into the habit of lugging the motor with my sporty, and i don't lug my road king either. does that have something to do with it? i dunno, but i only know 2 people who have 07s in my area (me, and my wife) and neither have that issue. neither lug their engine.

if you like to lug your 07, don't bitch when you have to replace your bottom end in the future.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

maybe the ambient air reading error occurs in synch with the heat the driver feels from the engine. Then its actually more accurite?