Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:31 AM
Radical
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco

My RKClassic had no noise/clatter when bought however after about 500 miles it showed up and no I am not lugging it. Dealer smiles and says it's normal and I say it drives me nuts as it does sound like rocks in a can. Don't even want to ride it as they know what it sounds like and said Mother Harley has said this is normal and will not provide a fix. 1st Harley since my AMF days and maybe my last if they don't take care of this. Mine is loud and even my riding buddies say "Damn....what you dragging over there?"

Old 04-28-2007, 01:41 AM
SMT
Tourer

I have to ask...what rpm and what speeds are these noises?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Radical
Tourer

I'm not sure about the RPMs as I have no tach however in 5th gear at50-55 is when I hear the clatter.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

My 2007 Ultra makes the noise in neutral as well - What once was a dull clatter has now become a metallic knock, which follows the RPM's - What gear I'm in makes no difference and the knock gets worse with each day I ride it - I'm NOT really worried because, I know something that knocks this bad, and runs this hot, will come-apart before long, and MOCO will be eating it. As the weather gets hotter, things will get worse for MOCO.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:27 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I WOULD NOT HOLD MY BREATH WAITING FOR THE MOCO TO FIX ANYTHING!!
Here's an examplewhy.
Air temp gauge inaccurate for at least 7 years. Has it been fixed by moco? NO!
I had ocassion to talk with MOCO yesterday about another issue.
Then I told them (politely) how a lot of people (not everyone) on the 'net felt about
the various dealers and moco's apparent APATHY toward many of their customers.
I mentioned but did not complain about the tranny noise, overheating, and the airtemp
gauge. I explained the myriad of answers that some of us have gotten from the different dealers.
Told her I (and some others)felt the dealers were acting how the MOCO wanted them to act.
Either give a totally bogus BUll $h*t answer to why the air guage is inaccurate or to admit that
MOCO does know about it but won't do anything. In hopes that the answer would satisfy many that don't know how the gauge works and would accept the answer no matter how ridiculous the explanation was. Either way the intent was get rid of the customer so HD does NOT have to SPEND MONEY to fix it.
Phone got very quiet for a long time.
Her explanation for the gauge, was ,yes the MOCO does know about it, but it apparently
does not bother people enough to actually complain about it.
I told her that I felt if only ONE person complained, then MOCO should confirm that it indeed is off by 10 to 20 degrees and then fix it right at the factory on all future bikes.
Or take the worthles POS out and put something else in that does work.
That I and many others felt that MOCO is NOT fixing it because they know some people just
ignore it and some buy the HDMOCO oil temp gauge (MORE MONEY FOR MOCO AND THEY GOT YOU AGAIN) or they buy after market.
Now with the above said I hope some of you morons can figure it out.
Apply the MOCO's APATHY to everything else that is wrong on your bikes in your opinion.
This is what they told me you MUST do (does not mean MOCO will do anything)
1. go to dealer with complaint, get it documented on a work order (two or three times different
dealers is even better)
2. See the OWNER of at least one dealer and take NOTES of the meeting.
go prepared with a specific issue (s) and your questions written down, with space for his
answers.
3. Follow up that meeting with a certified letter to him about the meeting and the notes you
took.(certified means someone had to sign for it so proof the letter arrived)
4.File a complaint with MOCO (at below address) one issue per complaint though.
(you can include several issues but on separate papers) (see certified above)
you can only talk for your self.
But you CAN include statements from other people that have the SAME complaint.
MUST be signed by them and have a way to contact them.
This bolsters your claim
So this means what I have told you before.
You all need to contact each other OUTSIDE this forum and trade in writing your issues and complaints.
Everybody send this to the MOCO with a cover letter of how upset you are about the particular issue. And that you are going to boycott any further HD purchases (bikes, chrome, bags, sert, whatever) Other than legal action boycotting is the only other leverage you have.
But it will probably take a thousand or more complaints on the same issue.
But HD knows the odds of any of you doing this is in THEIR favor so they will continue to do business as usual.

You can also by law get a list of the major investors in HD MOCO and you write them.

Then contact as a group and individually somebody like Ralph Nader who investigates these things and get them involved.
So until you ALL get off your lazy COLLECTIVE A$$E

Old 04-28-2007, 02:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

ORIGINAL: choochoo

Here's an examplewhy.
the air temp guage is not inaccurate, it is just where the sensor is placed. you want a more accurate reading? relocate your sensor. theres a thread on here somewhere about where to place it.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:00 PM
SMT
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: choochoo

Here's an examplewhy.
I had ocassion to talk with MOCO yesterday about another issue.
Then I told them (politely) how a lot of people (not everyone) on the 'net felt about
the various dealers and moco's apparent APATHY toward many of their customers.
I mentioned but did not complain about the tranny noise, overheating, and the airtemp
gauge. I explained the myriad of answers that some of us have gotten from the different dealers.
Told her I (and some others)felt the dealers were acting how the MOCO wanted them to act.
Either give a totally bogus BUll $h*t answer to why the air guage is inaccurate or to admit that
MOCO does know about it but won't do anything. In hopes that the answer would satisfy many that don't know how the gauge works and would accept the answer no matter how ridiculous the explanation was. Either way the intent was get rid of the customer so HD does NOT have to SPEND MONEY to fix it.
Phone got very quiet for a long time.
Her explanation for the gauge, was ,yes the MOCO does know about it, but it apparently
does not bother people enough to actually complain about it.
I told her that I felt if only ONE person complained, then MOCO should confirm that it indeed is off by 10 to 20 degrees and then fix it right at the factory on all future bikes.
Or take the worthles POS out and put something else in that does work.
That I and many others felt that MOCO is NOT fixing it because they know some people just
ignore it and some buy the HDMOCO oil temp gauge (MORE MONEY FOR MOCO AND THEY GOT YOU AGAIN) or they buy after market.
Now with the above said I hope some of you morons can figure it out.
Apply the MOCO's APATHY to everything else that is wrong on your bikes in your opinion.
This is what they told me you MUST do (does not mean MOCO will do anything)
1. go to dealer with complaint, get it documented on a work order (two or three times different
dealers is even better)
2. See the OWNER of at least one dealer and take NOTES of the meeting.
go prepared with a specific issue (s) and your questions written down, with space for his
answers.
3. Follow up that meeting with a certified letter to him about the meeting and the notes you
took.(certified means someone had to sign for it so proof the letter arrived)
4.File a complaint with MOCO (at below address) one issue per complaint though.
(you can include several issues but on separate papers) (see certified above)
you can only talk for your self.
But you CAN include statements from other people that have the SAME complaint.
MUST be signed by them and have a way to contact them.
This bolsters your claim
So this means what I have told you before.
You all need to contact each other OUTSIDE this forum and trade in writing your issues and complaints.
Everybody send this to the MOCO with a cover letter of how upset you are about the particular issue. And that you are going to boycott any further HD purchases (bikes, chrome, bags, sert, whatever) Other than legal action boycotting is the only other leverage you have.
But it will probably take a thousand or more complaints on the same issue.
But HD knows the odds of any of you doing this is in THEIR favor so they will continue to do business as usual.

You can also by law get a list of the major investors in HD MOCO and you write them.

Then contact as a group and individually somebody like Ralph Nader who investigates these things and get them involved.
So until you ALL get off your lazy COLLECTIVE A$$E$ and take positive action with the

Old 04-28-2007, 04:21 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The air gauge is an AMBIENT AIR TEMP (Do you know what that means).
Meaning it is supposed to read the outside air temp.
I know it reads the air temp INSIDE the fairing, but as somebody here once said
that is about as useless as **** on a oar hog.
POint it it does not accurately refleact the outside temp.
WHY IN HELL SHOULD I SPEND MY TIME AND OR MONEY TO RELOCATE IT.
WHEN MOCO ADMITS THE PROBLEM AND HAD FAILED TO DO SO IN ALL TIS TIME.
WHY IN HELL WOULD I WANT TO KNOW INSIDE FAIRING TEMP ANYWAY.
IT AIN'T A DAMN RADAR NOSE ANTENNA WHERE TEMP MIGHT BE CRITICAL.

ORIGINAL: skratch

Here's an examplewhy.
the air temp guage is not inaccurate, it is just where the sensor is placed. you want a more accurate reading? relocate your sensor. theres a thread on here somewhere about where to place it.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:59 PM
SMT
Tourer

The air gauge is an AMBIENT AIR TEMP (Do you know what that means).
Meaning it is supposed to read the outside air temp.
I know it reads the air temp INSIDE the fairing, but as somebody here once said
that is about as useless as **** on a oar hog.
POint it it does not accurately refleact the outside temp.
WHY IN HELL SHOULD I SPEND MY TIME AND OR MONEY TO RELOCATE IT.
WHEN MOCO ADMITS THE PROBLEM AND HAD FAILED TO DO SO IN ALL TIS TIME.
WHY IN HELL WOULD I WANT TO KNOW INSIDE FAIRING TEMP ANYWAY.
IT AIN'T A DAMN RADAR NOSE ANTENNA WHERE TEMP MIGHT BE CRITICAL.

ORIGINAL: skratch

Here's an examplewhy.
That's BOAR HOG.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:29 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The air temp gauge sensor needs relocated only and there is a link here somewhere on doing this.You guys with the clattering may never get this fixed.HD has decided to try only the easiest fixes-bandaids-because of cost of fixing EVERYONES and since none have failed.The noise is very annoying but mostly I just didnt want it to possibly get worse over time and really hurt someone.They are playing God on this and may just get away w/it.Write your letters but most get tossed in round file.Leaning on your dealers,posting their names,stating what they have done for you or havent puts the weight on them.A dealer cant take this kind of hit like the MoCo can.They will lean hard on factory if youre scaring off their customers.Most local news stations have people who dig into these types of complaints.A call for action series.News papers have the same.File your complaint w/the NHTSA-HD has to answer these.Ralph Nadar may be too old today to do you any good.You guys from the same state need to link up and file w/your States Attorney General,the more the better.But HD will not speak to you again.I filed in October in the state of PA.No one else would do so,case was dropped.Class actions takes yrs to get results.I think most will just dump these trash cans on something newer or older.

Quick Reply: 07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco