Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco

guys, heres food for thought,, a lot of Street gilde and cvo ultras, RK's,, all say they dont hear it,, most of them anyways,,, now,,
look at their stock windshield,,, the shorty 4"..... now I had mine on the last 2 days,,,, not real long hot rides, but I noticed little noise,
if I leaned forward onto tank,[out of wind,behind fairing} there it was,..I know if I put stock back on,,, the "Music" begins..
makes ya wonder if maybe there are more bikes out there , they just dont realize it,, but we all know they love jumpin down our throats saying were whine azzes....? all I got 4 now

Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did reduce the slight 5th gear whine by adding V&H ovals

Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont have a whinnin or clatter problem....HEY, i got a 06 5sp, oops

Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info gunrunner... have had the Sept Thunder Press on the workbench in the garage for several weeks and just haven't gotten around to reading it... jeez.

This seems to explain why some have complained of the clatter and some have not. Difference in assembly line or a "Monday/Friday" thing perhaps? Could be that the nut or sprocket were not manufactured to exact spec's or the spec'd tolerances end up being too much. Will definitely be interesting to see where the MoCo comes down on this one.

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Just for the record, I as a 07 owner am very concerned with this issue, mine does not do it, but who knows it could in the future. And I guess im a little **** when it comes to issues with something of mine, so I tend to reserch it to the max and always think sharing info with others who are doing the same is a good thing. There are many posts on the as called tranny problems but as Ive thought for awhile its not in the tranny but people hear the 5th whine and lump it all together. As to posts, Id rather see a dozen on important things like this as one on "do you wave" or "does this seat make my butt look big". LOL

Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

guys, heres food for thought,, a lot of Street gilde and cvo ultras, RK's,, all say they dont hear it,, most of them anyways,,, now,,
look at their stock windshield,,, the shorty 4"..... now I had mine on the last 2 days,,,, not real long hot rides, but I noticed little noise,
if I leaned forward onto tank,[out of wind,behind fairing} there it was,..I know if I put stock back on,,, the "Music" begins..
makes ya wonder if maybe there are more bikes out there , they just dont realize it,, but we all know they love jumpin down our throats saying were whine azzes....? all I got 4 now

Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My SG has a 9incher and I can hear the sound.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read Hollywoods latest post. No fix coming as of today.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine had clatter the first time I shifted into 5th, I was only a 1/4 mile away from the stealer. I started to turn around and go back. After 50 miles I called and took it back. Everybody knows what has happened since then, NOTHING. This has been going in 2 months today. What a HD experance this has been. Now they say they aren't going to do anything. If they can stand it I can, that bunch of FUDGE PACKERS!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 AM
Nails
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I feel lucky. I don't have any of the problems discussed here, so I rolled the dice tonight and took the whole damn thing apart to install the new chrome inner primary! Here's hoping I did not screw up a good thing.

The weather here is going to be bad for the next few days. I'll post an update when it clears.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 AM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

i dont have a whinnin or clatter problem....HEY, i got a 06 5sp, oops

Quick Reply: 07 Trans clatter explained, by expert not moco