Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Android
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on Exhaust sound

I am ready to purchase a new Road King(at least that is the one I like) and I do not know about exhausts

Which exhaust do you think is better overall for the RK? Do I have to get the entire system from front to back or do all I need is the mufflers?

Which one sounds best in your opinion?

I want my bike to be louder than stock but not fully open like some I've heard around.

Thanks to all

Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Opinions are going to vary about how exhaust systems sound.

I had a Road King Classic with Rinehart mufflers and I thought they sounded great.

Unless you want to get ride of the catalytic converters, all you need is a set of slip-on mufflers.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,843 Likes on 11,563 Posts

No need to jump into the exhaust changes right out of the starting blocks....
Look and listen to as many different systems as you can, then decide what you want to buy.
What looks good and is music to my ears, could be ugly and too loud for others..

Take your time and look / listen as much as possible....you will find the set-up that fits your bill.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Android
...Which exhaust do you think is better overall for the RK? Do I have to get the entire system from front to back or do all I need is the mufflers?

As the good man from Downeast said, ride your stock machine for a while and listen to as many other setups as possible (keep in mind that others may have modified intakes, cams, and so on...that will change the sound too).

More than a few here have spent big, big dollars on multiple exhausts without finding the right combination for them.

There are even a few of us that stayed with the stock pipes only find they do a great job after all.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good advice here on the forum. Ride your bike for awhile stock and listen / learn about others exhaust systems. Rush your decision and you may not end up with what you really wanted. Good Luck

Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Android
Tourer

You guys are awesome. I think you are all right. It is better to just ride it I may enjoy the stock sound and performance.

Thank you all.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've enjoyed the stock sound for over a year.I finally decided that I like the sound of the V&H Monster Ovals,but prefer the look of the Monster Rounds,and have been told that they sound the same.I'll find out in a few weeks,I have a set of MRs in a box in the basement waiting for spring.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Eventually

Originally Posted by Android
I am ready to purchase a new Road King(at least that is the one I like) and I do not know about exhausts

Which exhaust do you think is better overall for the RK? Do I have to get the entire system from front to back or do all I need is the mufflers?

I want my bike to be louder than stock but not fully open like some I've heard around.

Thanks to all
Eventually you are also going to want to cool the bike down as well as get better sound. What that means is improving the ratio of air to fuel mix that comes from the factory due to EPA emission standards. It entails adding a new air cleaner (to get more air in) and a electronic fuel injection control device to add more fuel (richen the mix) to cool the engine and give you more power as an added benefit. Then exit through better flowing exhaust pipes. (or slip on mufflers)

This isn't cheap, because on the new ones you also want to eliminate that catalytic converter that will be baking your thigh. (and the passengers if there is one).

You might want to start with the slip-on mufflers and get better sound, but take a look at the long range picture here and consider one of the packages from a vendor like Fuel Moto.. (I have no connection to them except I'm a satisfied customer).

www.fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with ybnorml. This is a very subjective thing. What I think sounds good, you may not. I like my Python mufflers with V&H true duals, I like the idea of getting rid of the xover pipe. For a sound that is nice and throaty and not too loud, the Rinehart pipes are nice too. As mentioned above, get out to some bike events and look and listen. You will surely hear something you like.

Shakey

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want them to bark, then even Screaming Eagle won't do it. Got to go non EPA to get that sound.
Why not just leave it stock for a while, see what other people are using then base your decision on that. No sense dropping a grand on something that you won't like later.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Exhaust sound