Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

No one has mentioned that new stock exhausr will get louder over time. My 2010 ultra has become almost acceptable after 4000 miles. I'm going to see if it keeps opening up then decide.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the quest for the Holy Grail of exhaust and sound. Everyone is right about listening to other setups, first. You have to decide if you are wanting performance and/or sound. Some sound good, but may drop performance on your bike. I learned the hard way and went through quite a few exaust setups. I either didn't like the sound or didn't like the performance. I didn't find what I was looking for until recently when I did some motor work on the bike. Now I have the sound and performance I am looking for with my knock off CFR mufflers and my 4" Rinehart mufflers w/performance baffles that I have switched between this past week.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Android
Tourer

Have any of you heard the American Custom exhausts? They seem quite cheap in price but super money back guarantee. Maybe it is worth checking it out.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option to just get a bit more bark out of it is to drill out the center baffles of a set of stock mufflers. You can find them all day on Ebay or at the local stealership. I used a long, 1/2" drill bit from Harbor Freight, lots of pressure and some cutting oil and just bored right through them. I get some bark and growl when I hammer it, but it mellows out in cruise.

I tried a set of Cycle Shacks and for short hops, they're cool, but way too damn loud for any amount of highway riding. I like to hear the radio and not have ringing ears afterwards. Hearing loss is serious business. Once lost, you never get it back.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 2010 Road King with Rinehart slip-ons. It sounded okay, but for them to sound really good, the catalytic converter would have to be removed. If you want the cat. converter gone, you could go to an independent motorcycle shop to have them cut out the cat. converter and re-weld the head pipe. Then install the slip-ons of your choice. Not sure if remapping would be required.

Good luck in your quest and take your time.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
the glove
Cruiser

Rinehart Tru Duels not to loud but you can hear em under throttle

Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Android
Have any of you heard the American Custom exhausts? They seem quite cheap in price but super money back guarantee. Maybe it is worth checking it out.
Read post #17.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
big_e_walrus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what's it worth, I have a couple of videos on youtube of a 2010 FLHX with SE Super Trap exhaust. The vids might give you an idea of their sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-63sRE0c4Q

Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Decide what you are wanting to achieve.... just sound ...or sound and performance... or eliminate the cat for a cooler running exhaust
or all the above or any combo there of...

Make the bike breathe and perform better..just do the stage one with slip ons and aircleaner which requires a fuel controller, OR just go whole hog for a full aftermarket exhaust system air cleaner and a fuel module..

IF it is only the sound you want to improve on (louder) shop the for sale area on this forum for a good used set of slip ons.. then go from there

Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dansflhti
I've enjoyed the stock sound for over a year.I finally decided that I like the sound of the V&H Monster Ovals,but prefer the look of the Monster Rounds,and have been told that they sound the same.I'll find out in a few weeks,I have a set of MRs in a box in the basement waiting for spring.
I installed the Monster Rounds this afternoon.Oh yeah,I like them.I had the bike running on my neighbors lift,had a real nice rumble to them.I also checked to see if my 09 had cats.It doesn't.I had read on here that some late 09 Canadian bikes had cats.My bike was made in May of 09.