Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
strich
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Echoing the others here about keeping stock and checking about. Now that spring is on the way, hit up all the local dealers in your area and most of the techs will let you listen to bikes they're working on just to get a feel of what sounds good to you. most HD dealers have big todos on saturdays where tons of bikes will show. listen then. and always check out bike nights around your area (local burger shops) to get another solution for listening.

what sounds good to you likely isn't what sounds good to me. that works for everyone. which is why there are so many options for exhaust available for purchase.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Vote is for the SuperTrapp SE or the HD Thunder Street slip-ons. (http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US) The Thunder Street Slip-ons / Super Trapp SE's have a nice deep sound that is not TOO crazy loud. Plus with the different tip options you can choose what look you are going for and change out the look with tips down the road.

Good luck with your choice. There are a lot of options out there...

T

Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Lonerider31
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm excited about the new Supertrapp Stouts. Good increase in HP and Torque with a small increase in sound. Suppose to be available mid-March

Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lonerider31
I'm excited about the new Supertrapp Stouts. Good increase in HP and Torque with a small increase in sound. Suppose to be available mid-March
Wow, I hadn't seen these before. Those sure do look nice! Be another great option for those looking for a quality slip-on pipe!

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=85

Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Originally Posted by ybnorml
No need to jump into the exhaust changes right out of the starting blocks....
Look and listen to as many different systems as you can, then decide what you want to buy.
What looks good and is music to my ears, could be ugly and too loud for others..

Take your time and look / listen as much as possible....you will find the set-up that fits your bill.
Great advice. Go sit in the dealers lot on a weekend and listen to the bikes coming and going to see what you like.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
broziff
Tourer

They look pricey at $679. But the hp and tq numbers look outstanding without any other mods but adding the mufflers. They also have a Kerker stout version which is supposed to be a little louder but decreases the low end rpm power the way the web site reads.

Originally Posted by PWFD
Wow, I hadn't seen these before. Those sure do look nice! Be another great option for those looking for a quality slip-on pipe!

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=85

Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out these guys....

American Custom Exhaust Systems www.americancustom.com

Trucky911

Last edited by Trucky911; 02-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock exhaust does not sound all that bad on the RK even with the cat in the headpipe. I bought some SE Street Performance slipon's but I am liking the look of the Thunder Street slipons that are mentioned above. mtclassic has them on his scoot and they sure look nice. He is happy with them and the sound they are giving.

My ears ring enough as it is so adding more volume ain't in the cards for me...a little deeper tone is what I'm looking for

Good luck on the King!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust sound is such a subjective thing.

I bought my Road King in July and rode it for 1 week and quickly decided that the cat had to go.

The exhaust was so hot in summer traffic it was terrible. At 3 weeks I had the Fuel Moto stage 1 kit on the way.

The exhaust is so much cooler, and the bike is very comfortable in city traffic. Without the cat and with the true duals installed it sounds like a Harley.

Keep it stock for a while and listen to all the exhaust you can. Ask a lot of questions when you hear one that you like.

Most guys are more than willing to tell you what they have on their bike.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Android
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
Exhaust sound is such a subjective thing.

I bought my Road King in July and rode it for 1 week and quickly decided that the cat had to go.

The exhaust was so hot in summer traffic it was terrible. At 3 weeks I had the Fuel Moto stage 1 kit on the way.

The exhaust is so much cooler, and the bike is very comfortable in city traffic. Without the cat and with the true duals installed it sounds like a Harley.

Keep it stock for a while and listen to all the exhaust you can. Ask a lot of questions when you hear one that you like.

Most guys are more than willing to tell you what they have on their bike.
Did you have to remap the fuel and what else were you forced to do to your bike when you installed the exhaust on it?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Opinions on Exhaust sound