Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New for 2011 combination speedo/tach

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:30 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
I can also add that it is a very cool unit, especially the way you can make each part of it a differenct led color. I can attest to the inaccurate fuel gauge on the unit. My friend put one on his 2011 Heritage and the digital guage is about 1/4 off from the guage in the tank. When he took it back to his dealer, heard a response havent heard before, "its normal", LOL.
2wheelglider, I observed this as well but when you compare the digital fuel gauge on the LCD to the tank mounted analog gauge, the digital gauge that has 8 segments (1/8th, 1/4, 3/8...etc), that displays the fuel amount compared to the infinite needle positions of the tank mounted analog fuel gauge.

When the tank mounted gauge will be at just above 7/8 the digital fuel gauge would still be reading full until the fuel level inside the tank would read at 87.5% when both would then be at 7/8.

All in all it's a resolution issue that is pretty minor compared to the other features of the speedo/tach in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twinrider
A bit busy looking but lots of cool features and just $233.95 at Zanotti.

Combination Analog Speedometer/Tachometer - Spun Aluminum Dial

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Nice. Our local HD dealer has one in stock on a display that simulates riding. You can see it run through the gears as the RPMs and speed increase. It shows the gear you are in and looks like it has about 4-5 LED colors to suit your taste - white, red, blue, yellow and probably a few more.

I glanced at it and it said only for Softtails on the box but I assumed it would be available for an RK as well - just haven't bothered to check. I want to make sure it also handles the low fuel light, ABS indicator and cruise control indicator before I get serious about considering it.

At $299 this appears a much better deal than the $499 model they had in the 2010 wish book.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ehans
Nice. Our local HD dealer has one in stock on a display that simulates riding. You can see it run through the gears as the RPMs and speed increase. It shows the gear you are in and looks like it has about 4-5 LED colors to suit your taste - white, red, blue, yellow and probably a few more.

I glanced at it and it said only for Softtails on the box but I assumed it would be available for an RK as well - just haven't bothered to check. I want to make sure it also handles the low fuel light, ABS indicator and cruise control indicator before I get serious about considering it.

At $299 this appears a much better deal than the $499 model they had in the 2010 wish book.
ehans, you were probably looking at the MY11 Softails and later speedo/tach, there are others that fit '08 and later RK, '09 and later Dyna, and '08 to '10 Softail. MY11 Softail has a new electrical system. As far as the low fuel light, ABS indicator, and cruise indicator, the speedo/tach kit includes a harness that plugs into the data link located behind the left side panel that when in ign/run and the new speedo/tach plugged into the harness and data link, it will pull the current calibrations from the currently installed gauge to include ABS, fuel Cal's, and cruise.

So yes those indicators will work properly.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by knuckleheadz
So yes those indicators will work properly.
Many thanks! Does anyone have the installation manual in PDF format? Usually HD has that on their site and I like to review before I buy, but didn't see one on this item.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks! Does anyone have the installation manual in PDF format? Usually HD has that on their site and I like to review before I buy, but didn't see one on this item.
+1 Would like to take a look at the install proceess

Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

+1 Would like to take a look at the install process

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM
tooloudman
Intermediate
Default Speedo tach combo

Hi,

I have just installed this unit on my '10 RK Classic. I am an average DIY tinkerer and this was a 'no brainer' install!

The data download takes no more than 10 secs, as previous posts have said, just plug the supplied cable into the transfer plug underneath the LH side cover. Remove the factory speedo and refit the new one, took about 15mins tops.

Absolutely everything works, Gear indicator, fuel guage (both of which you can have on or off) & Cruise light. Although you can choose a lighting colour for each element you can scroll through to 'all' and have each the same colour in one go. I scrolled through the 600 shades and matched the a neon blue shade with my lizard lights and HD led fuel guage .

Recommended bit of kit at this price. I`ll post some night and day pics later.

Ride safe

Mark

Last edited by tooloudman; 05-09-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
bshughes657
Intermediate

I echo tooloudman. Installed this unit on Saturday. I received it from Zanotti's for 233.95 and it came in about 3 days. The install was an absolute no-brainer and it works as advertised. I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
105th HD Heritage
Stage IV

I bought one Saturday May 14 for my 08 Heritage Softail and it took me about 45 min to install. My biggest problem was figuring out the gray (93) ECM plug under the seat. I installed the new Speedo/tach before I realized I had to hook up the new Speedo/tach with the cable plug that comes with it while the old speedo was still installed. That is how you gets the odomiter reading on the new one. With the new one hooked up just turn the switch on and it automaticlly trasfers the odomiter reading to the new one. Then just install the new one and that's it. Really simple insatllation. The only thing that sucks is that after 31 miles it's married to the bike and and vin number.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Mark- Any luck on the pictures?

Also wondering if you guys who have done this wouldn't mind scanning the install sheet and posting it?

Quick Reply: New for 2011 combination speedo/tach