Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New for 2011 combination speedo/tach

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

It's one of the better looking combo units I've seen.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PWFD
Good to know. How did you reccaliberate your milage. If it's something I can do on my own I would much rather do the install on my own.
Unlike previous speedos, HD includes a data-transfer cable with this one that lets you set your own mileage at the time of installation.

Maintain the clean view over the handlebar. This unique Combination Speedometer/Tachometer allows you to monitor engine speed without adding a handlebar-mounted tach. The unit mounts in the stock dash opening and is a direct plug-in installation. Gauges feature speedometer and tachometer pointers that sweep clockwise to provide a "gauge within a gauge" look. The backlit gauges include a large LCD information screen that displays odometer/tripmeter data, miles to empty readings, an easy-to-read segmented fuel display, and a gear position indicator. This valuable information is available to the rider at a glance. The gauge features push-button adjustable backlighting with over 600 color tone options, allowing the rider to adjust pointer, LCD and backlighting colors to match any paint scheme or viewing preference. Kit includes a data transfer cable to easily upload initial mileage at time of installation.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Unlike previous speedos, HD includes a data-transfer cable with this one that lets you set your own mileage at the time of installation.
Yes, I did see that it comes with the cable but wasn't sure if that was something "us" as a consumer could do? Guess maybe it's something you can just hook up to your lap-top or something? Wasn't sure with fraud with mileage.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That just might be the one for me. I was thinking of going with the one you have, TwinRider, but I think I like this one better. Arigato gozaimasu for the heads up!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just spoke with my parts manager at the local dealership about this spedo. He said that the data is updated in the spedo from the ECM automatically. I wonder if that is true and I wonder what other info they are keeping. I asked if he was getting them in because I am interested in the gear indicator and how that works. I wonder if it tells you which gear you are in or just indicates 6th like is currently done. He said that he has them on order and he was wondering these things too.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for showing this..I like

Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody seen this in person, yet?

The question that hasn't been answered is, what does "a gear position indicator" mean in the text of the description? Does it just indicate 6th, or does it actually tell you which gear you are in? My parts manager has some on order, but they have not come in yet.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PWFD
Was just at my dealer and saw this in the new 2011 Spring Book. Gotta say it's exactly what I have been looking for. I want a speedo / tach on my RK but haven't wanted to spend the $500 on the other options HD had. This thing looks cool IMO. The dealer said it would take about an hour for install. My question if anyone has installed one of these yet is does the Fuel Gauge work too? In the photo it looks as the lower portion of the speedo is a digital fuel gauge. My dealer has yet to install one of these and would like to hear some feedback on it before I take the plunge. Still have several feet of snow still on the ground so it will be a while before my bike comes out of the stable. Hope someone gets one installed and gives some input on it.
PWFD, I've seen this Speedo/Tach installed and yes the fuel gauge does work. It's supplemental to the analog fuel gauge most already have but it's much easier to see especially at night.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:06 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I've seen several questions and statements in this thread and from what I've seen and asked I have several answers:

- There are two separate fitments available for the new speedo/tach
part # 74776-11 - black MPH, fits MY11 and later Softail
part # 74774-11 - spun aluminum MPH, fits MY11 and later Softail
part # 70900070 - spun al MPH, fits MY08 and later Road Kings, MY09 and later Dyna's with 5" gauge, and MY08 to MY10 Softail with 5" gauge

The gauges that fit MY11 Softails are a direct plug and play because the ECM also stores the total odometer. This is for MY11
Softails only.

The gauges that fit MY08 and later Road Kings, MY09 and later Dyna's, and MY08 to MY10 Softail have an older ECM that does not carry the total odometer therefore requiring you to use the included harness (cable) that plugs into the gauge and into the datalink behind the side cover on most Dyna's and Road Kings (Road Kings require the left saddlebag to be removed to access the data link behind the left side cover) with keeping the current stock gauge installed. Once plugged in all you have to do is turn your bike to ignition/run and watch the new gauge as it pulls the cal's from the current gauge. After that, you pull out the current gauge and plug in the new one. Very simple. Overall, much better than previous gauges that you needed to wait to get because of having to program it and at a warehouse.

- The gear position indication on this gauge shows all six gears including the redundant "6" telltale. When in 1st "1" shows on the LCD, then when the clutch is disengaged to upshift there's nothing, then when re-engaged, "2" will appear for 2nd gear and so on for the remaining gears

- I noticed that nobody mentioned that you can also change the color of this gauge as well. Actually, you can change the color of the dial, LCD, and speedo and tach pointers from 600 colors.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by knuckleheadz; 03-19-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Originally Posted by knuckleheadz
Guys, I've seen several questions and statements in this thread and from what I've seen and asked I have several answers:

- There are two separate fitments available for the new speedo/tach
part # 74776-11 - black MPH, fits MY11 and later Softail
part # 74774-11 - spun aluminum MPH, fits MY11 and later Softail
part # 70900070 - spun al MPH, fits MY08 and later Road Kings, MY09 and later Dyna's with 5" gauge, and MY08 to MY10 Softail with 5" gauge

The gauges that fit MY11 Softails are a direct plug and play because the ECM also stores the total odometer. This is for MY11
Softails only.

The gauges that fit MY08 and later Road Kings, MY09 and later Dyna's, and MY08 to MY10 Softail have an older ECM that does not carry the total odometer therefore requiring you to use the included harness (cable) that plugs into the gauge and into the datalink behind the side cover on most Dyna's and Road Kings (Road Kings require the left saddlebag to be removed to access the data link behind the left side cover) with keeping the current stock gauge installed. Once plugged in all you have to do is turn your bike to ignition/run and watch the new gauge as it pulls the cal's from the current gauge. After that, you pull out the current gauge and plug in the new one. Very simple. Overall, much better than previous gauges that you needed to wait to get because of having to program it and at a warehouse.

- The gear position indication on this gauge shows all six gears including the redundant "6" telltale. When in 1st "1" shows on the LCD, then when the clutch is disengaged to upshift there's nothing, then when re-engaged, "2" will appear for 2nd gear and so on for the remaining gears

- I noticed that nobody mentioned that you can also change the color of this gauge as well. Actually, you can change the color of the dial, LCD, and speedo and tach pointers from 600 colors.

Hope that helps!

and all that for $239..... better hurry up and get them before hd realizes that they made a mistake and forgot the '1' in the front

(i wish i could, but it won't fit the wife's 07)

Quick Reply: New for 2011 combination speedo/tach