Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Audio Amp Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

John,
Let me pose this question to you.
Place your mindset as a consumer for a moment.
Why is the person that owns a Street Glide forced to purchase the Batwing mounting bracket when they don't have all the added garbage?
They have no need for a mounting area for the CB, it doesn't come with one.
Most people that buy Street Glides buy it because it's stripped of the added stuff.
Naturally, that Street Glide owner is going to look at comparable amps, like the ARC, for the price.
Go to ARC's website, look at their pricing.
For $324 dollars a person can have the amp & wiring harness.
Your bracket is worth $130'ish bucks???

I'm not knocking your merchandise...hell, I have 1 of your amp kits in my Road Glide.
I checked your Rokker out at the V-Twin Expo in Cincy...sounds good!

I'm just pointing out, your prices aren't really in line with your competition.
That's all.

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
would you guys here on the forum like to be able to purchase the J&M 2-ch 250w and 4-ch 500w amps without all the mounting brackets, hardware and plug-n-play harnesses ? ,,,,,

that is what takes the time and costs the $$$ here at J&M is making all the extras that go with our amp kits ,,,,

Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

JMJOHN,

No doubt you have lost sales due the price difference between your 250W amp kit to those who don't need the harnesses/brackets and buy the Arc 125.2, and, to a lesser extent, the elf and wetsounds clones. Especially for those buying amps to install in Electra Glides and Street Glides w/o any add-on HD modules, the brackets are of little value.

I have the Arc 125.2 and will strongly consider your 500W amp, but at the reported $680 list price mentioned previously by DR. VTWIN, I'll balk at that. If omitting the brackets and harnesses significantly reduces the price, it will be much easier for me to buy it since I have no problem doing the installation and making the harnesses, etc. myself as I've done in the past.

It may be a pain for you from an inventory and packaging standpoint, but selling the amps as a package (harnesses and brackets included), but also offering the amps, harnesses and brackets separately would be optimum as a consumer; it'd allow me and others the choice of buying what fit our budgets and installation needs.

Also, although it may not be nearly as good as your 500W, the Rockford Fosgate new 300W 4-channel amp at $270 list price will be a big seller, even though it will no doubt require buyers to fab the electrical connections, etc. By adding the costs of the harnesses and brackets will only increase the cost delta between the two products. Said another way, I may be willing to pay significantly more for your 500W amp at a significantly lower price than $680 list (or any other regularly avialble discounted price) w/o the brackets and harnesses.

Just my $.02.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 02-21-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I can't wait for someone to chime in that there is a difference between these 4 250w 125.2 amps, other than a cosmetic top plate/sticker.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

[quote=BadPiggy;7951180]John,
the ARC, for the price.
Go to ARC's website, look at their pricing.
For $324 dollars a person can have the amp & wiring harness.
quote]

Chris,

I was typing and didn't see your post; we made the same point regarding the brackets for EG's/SG's that don't have any modules, so the brackets in the 250W kit are of little value.

As for the ARC "harness" you referenced, I had one in the MPAK kit I purchased and I'm glad I got such a steep discount on that kit 'cause the "harness" package @ $45 (website price) is grossly overpriced. It really isn't fair to call it a harness because there isn't anything that is plug and play in the kit. Everything provided uses crimp connectors with the exception of the power and ground cables which had ring connectors on the ends for the battery/ground connections--the power and ground cables were the only things I used from the $45 kit.

I agree with your overall point of view, and those points will be very relevant when I choose between J&M's 500W amp and Rockford Fosgate's 300W amp. Hawg-wired has a new 4-channel amp coming, but at their typical pricing (e.g. $995 for their current 300W amp/satellite amps) I doubt I'll be considering the HW product.

Carl

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by shore
I can't wait for someone to chime in that there is a difference between these 4 250w 125.2 amps, other than a cosmetic top plate/sticker.
Shore,

Go to post 11 in this thread from Dec. 2010 for a link to an audio website where the guts of the Arc 125.2 and Elf clone were compared and differences noted:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ggestions.html

Carl

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Pain, figured you were asking about "auto" amps to find a less costly alternative to the currently available motorcycle products, e.g. Hawg-wired.

For dimensional purposes (i.e. what will fit inside the RG fairing), check-out the dimensions of the Arc 125.4 (500W; 125X4 channels @2 ohms). A guy installed one in his '09 SERG and posted about it at cvoharley.com; here's a link that includes pictures of the installation:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=47523.0

The soon to be released Rockford Fosgate 300W (75W X 4 @ 4ohms) amp lists for $270:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status=

If the $270 price point is too high for your budget, perhaps you should say how much you're willing to spend to avoid replies that exceed the price point.

My buddy has a Bazooka 4-channel amp installed in the fairing of his '07 RG. Check their website for price.

Also, what speakers are you planning to use in the speaker boxes? Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm impedance so you'll probably want an amp with 4 ohm impedance. If you're going with 2 ohm impedance speakers, that may be a problem with an amp that is 4 ohm impedance.

Good luck with your search.

Carl
Carl does it matter on impedance that the stock HK is 2 ohm? Can I still get 4 ohm speakers? I believe you have the same setup I'm trying to end up with here.

Also was looking at this amp here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=9442187 but not sure if it has enough wattage

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
Carl does it matter on impedance that the stock HK is 2 ohm? Can I still get 4 ohm speakers? I believe you have the same setup I'm trying to end up with here.

Also was looking at this amp here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=9442187 but not sure if it has enough wattage
Pain,

According to the Alpine site,...........................this amp is made for ONLY 2005 or newer ALPINE head units.............

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
Pain,

If you are asking if you can use 4 ohm speakers (no add-on amp) with the HK head unit, I'll refer you to the answer I received from Iron Cross Audio: YES.

If you use an add-on amp, then YES, again, and you'd match the speaker impedance to the add-on amp's impedance. For example, the Arc 125.2 is rated as 2 ohm stable, but also accepts 4 ohm impedance speakers though the wattage drops from 125/channel to 70/channel, so that amp will work with either 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. The impedance of the HK head unit is irrelevant when using an add-on amp since the HK head unit won't "see" any load for the audio signal going to the add-on amp.

I'm not a tech or audio guy; just read some good information elsewhere and talked to experts, e.g. Iron Cross Audio, when doing various audio mods to my bike over the years.

Carl

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
ElectraHead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a o5 electra glide standard .i am running a sony head unit and alpine 6.5 speakers. was looking to installing the acr mini but also the Polk Audio 1 inch inplace of my missing gauges???? do i spice them into my 6.5 's. OR DO I need a 4 channel am?????

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Pain,

If you are asking if you can use 4 ohm speakers (no add-on amp) with the HK head unit, I'll refer you to the answer I received from Iron Cross Audio: YES.

If you use an add-on amp, then YES, again, and you'd match the speaker impedance to the add-on amp's impedance. For example, the Arc 125.2 is rated as 2 ohm stable, but also accepts 4 ohm impedance speakers though the wattage drops from 125/channel to 70/channel, so that amp will work with either 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. The impedance of the HK head unit is irrelevant when using an add-on amp since the HK head unit won't "see" any load for the audio signal going to the add-on amp.

I'm not a tech or audio guy; just read some good information elsewhere and talked to experts, e.g. Iron Cross Audio, when doing various audio mods to my bike over the years.

Carl
Thanks for the info. I have been out of the audio game for a long time and have forgotten must of what I learned. I've found a few other small amps but I'm still not sure what I want to go with.