Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HK Radio

My HK Radio comes on when I start the bike but no sound until I turn it off and back on and I always turn it off when I get off the bike. Why won't it stay off? I don't think it did that before the upgrades 8.9 & 8.11 Is anyone else experiencing this?

Old 10-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HK Radio

Did the upgrades on mine with no problems. But then again, I never turn the radio off manually.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that since I had the 8.11 v. But my sound is ok as soon as I start it. No problems.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM
tbradley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just noticed this same thing yeaterday.... I normally don't turn off the radio, but I did yesterday to wash the bike and then when I started the bike the radio came on....

Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious, what would happen if you put the update 8.9 back on it. I wonder if it would let you back up on the updates.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
swomack
Road Master

I tried to reset it to the factory settings but it wouldn't go back. I've still got the 8.9 disk and may try to re-flash. Somethings won't let you go back only forward. I've decided the only reason you can flash these things is because H-D didn't want anything with their name on it that didn't have to be worked on.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea why they keep the "improvements" a secret, other than "We're H-D and we know what you need better than you do"? Seems like they would tell you on the download site what changes the update makes.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
swomack
Road Master

I've had car stereos from nearly all of the brands out there and have installed the rest including the best of the best Sony and they never needed upgrading and always worked fine. How hard is it to make a stereo in 2006? What could you have not thought of when you built it?

Old 10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
tbradley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For those wondering what the latest upgrade to the HK radio includes, here is something I found...

Updated software for the Advanced Audio System has been released on www.harley-davidson.com for customer and dealer access.
This software is intended to correct the following conditions:

CB Modulation– It is possible for the radio circuitry to revert from international (HDI) configuration (FM) to domestic (U.S.) configuration (AM) at key off. An upgrade of the radio's software to v8.11.0 will remedy the condition affecting CB modulation on the Advanced Audio System and ensure regulatory compliance for Western Europe and Korea.

Clock Accuracy– Some customers have experienced issues with clock accuracy (gaining time).

Phantom Speaker Codes– Technicians, when troubleshooting with Digital Technician, have experienced phantom speaker codes B2007 and 2010 where no fault exists. All false diagnostic codes have been addressed in the v8.11.0 software.

Updating the radio receiver from early software versions (v6.8.0 through v8.9.0) will prevent all of these potential faults and make the receiver compliant with international regulations requiring FM modulation on citizen band radios. Update software will be posted on the Internet (www.harley-davidson.com) by September 28, 2006 for either customer or dealer access.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:08 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Swomack,
"H-D didn't want anything with their name on it that didn't have to be worked on. " 10-4 on that. The legend lives on. We all should know HD has a reputation to uphold. Maybe if they raised the prices of these Ultras some more they could get the radios right.

Quick Reply: HK Radio