Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locking detachable tourpack

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default locking detachable tourpack

I just got a new bike & it has the removeable tourpack. (Very cool & useful option) Mine is keyed, so it's lockable, but I'm wondering how much sense that makes since the whole thing comes off in about 5 seconds.

Anyone else considered this? I don't know that I'd ever lock the trunk, thinking that my valuables were safe inside.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

HD sells locking latches. You can buy a set of two with matching keys. I bought a set when I bought the TP for my SG. They both broke. I was very unhappy with the quality of them.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley makes a locking latch that replaces one of you cam locks to keep that from happening. About $29 or something like that, one upgrade thats worth the money IMHO!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I've been wondering this same thing.

I am thinking about running a steel cable out of the tourpak and securing it to the bike.
the cable would be anchored or attached inside the tourpak, run out through the hole at front left side with the wiring- then to the bike, maybe looped around the shock.

Interested in other solutions- I don't think the H-D locking latches would be that secure- and yet another key to loose!

Mike

Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
HD sells locking latches. You can buy a set of two with matching keys. I bought a set when I bought the TP for my SG. They both broke. I was very unhappy with the quality of them.
Either I've been lucky or just got a good set, I've had mine for over 5 years (knock on wood) with no problems.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would run this by Brukus, one of our sponsors. All of their locking devices are top notch and no key required as they use a special tool. They recently sent out an email to their customers asking for suggestions about new product suggestions. I saw a detachable tourpak on a RG at a PGR ride Friday and noticed how it rattled and shook while at idle and it seemed to stem from the 4 point docking hardware.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A post some time ago, the fellow bought one of those bicycle locks that adjust and run it thru the detachable hook up for those times he traveled or was away from his bike.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

The HD latch locks are a determent to theft, it'll just take them another minute or two. If you're worried I'd run a cable through the detachable mount & something solid on the bike. I always took mine off overnight & into the room, most everything is just a determent, if they really want it they'll get it, saddlebags aren't that secure unless you bolt them on either.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM
BigTKC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Those look pretty slick. I would imagine you would only need one to lock your detachable and having 2 is always better than one.

Quick Reply: locking detachable tourpack