Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'11 Ultra has a small hole in the front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Bluesfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '11 Ultra has a small hole in the front wheel

Just took delivery of my '11 Ultra Classic and found the front tire has a slow leak. Took it back to the dealer and they found the tire is not the problem, the (stock cast aluminum) wheel has a small hole in it.

I'm not sure who supplies these wheels for HD and what mfg process they use but I wonder if there aren't other wheels out there with similar issues. Service manager said he has never seen this issue before.

If you ride a bike with these wheels, you might want to keep an eye on your air pressure (if you don't already).

Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesfan
Just took delivery of my '11 Ultra Classic and found the front tire has a slow leak. Took it back to the dealer and they found the tire is not the problem, the (stock cast aluminum) wheel has a small hole in it.

I'm not sure who supplies these wheels for HD and what mfg process they use but I wonder if there aren't other wheels out there with similar issues. Service manager said he has never seen this issue before.

If you ride a bike with these wheels, you might want to keep an eye on your air pressure (if you don't already).
I had a car wheel do that once. Porosity in the cast aluminum wheel made for a slow leak for the life of the car. Only one of the four rims, regardless of what brand rubber I ran. It happens.

I wouldn't blame Harley for that one. Cast, is cast.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I had a car wheel do that once. Porosity in the cast aluminum wheel made for a slow leak for the life of the car. Only one of the four rims, regardless of what brand rubber I ran. It happens.

I wouldn't blame Harley for that one. Cast, is cast.
I gotta laugh at that. Wouldn't blame Harley??? So please explain the reason they should not replace the wheel. I guess it would be okay if the brakes did not work properly also?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I gotta laugh at that. Wouldn't blame Harley??? So please explain the reason they should not replace the wheel. I guess it would be okay if the brakes did not work properly also?
Sh** Happens with any vehicle! I am sure MOCO will replace the wheel.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer

Who would you blame?, bottom line Harley is selling the wheel to the consumer, sounds like Harley needs to police there vendors a little better, thats not the only part that quality control is an issue on. probably selling the contract for the wheels to the lowest bidder, thats not always the highest quality though.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Yeah, I kind of blame HD too. You'd think they'd fill the tires and let them sit for awhile and see if they're holding pressure. If the bike was on the showroom floor for any amount of time they must've noticed the tire was low when they serviced it. Just seems like another case of I don't care what they tell you they do, they don't really do anything more than a cursory check. Quality control is done by the buyer.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM
badknees
Road Master

Man don't you feel bad ranting about a wheel? What about the poor little Chinese 6 year old that may get fired over your tiny hole. Have you no feelings?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

It's HD's responsibility to keep tight quality control on their suppliers or otherwise it could happen to any manufacturer what shook up the giant Toyota & Lexus world wide.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Did I say they "shouldn't replace the wheel"? WTF!

Of course they should replace the wheel and they will.

But bash Harley as if it where their poor workmanship, is not accurate.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Sh** Happens with any vehicle! I am sure MOCO will replace the wheel.
There ya go.......there wasn't anything intentional on the MOCO's part.

Worst case, if this happens to me, I'll deflate the tire and fill the hole with JB weld and let it cure overnight, and reinflate.

Small potatoes, man.

EDIT: but realize I've built bikes from the ground up, and never leave anything stock, so any bike I have, is going to get the locktite and wrench treatment and a good go over on evcerything.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 02-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: '11 Ultra has a small hole in the front wheel