Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaner performance choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
hotrod88
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cleaner performance choice

I'm looking to buy a new air cleaner and have it narrowed down to two choices. Rolands sands and the se heavy breather. I have a 2010 flhx and I like the looks of both of them so my choice is gonna be based on which one performs better than the other. Hope some one can help me out.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,402 Likes on 22,397 Posts

No stage 1 A/C is better than any other IMO, including the heavy breather which is an "ugly lookin' apparatus" as far as I'm concerned. I have an Arlen Ness Stage 1 and run it open.
I would go with RSD but they are very proud of them $ wise..
Check out exotx air cleaners; http://www.exotx.com/filters.htm

Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the SE Ventilator and it works great

Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the SE Heavy Breather and have been very happy with both the looks and performance.

If you plan on adding lowers in the future, the Heavy Breather does not fit with the vents and glove boxes.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:37 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Just about any performance hi flow air cleaner will flow more than the motor can use.

Go with what you like. taking into account the fit concern in the previous post-

while shopping, one of the bikes i looked at with the heavy breather, I didn't like the way it pushed my right knee out, and the toe of my boot hit it when i was going for the brake...

in the end i went with the Ness BS and the stock cover.

Mike

Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Sigjumper
Novice

I didn't like the way it pushed my right knee out, and the toe of my boot hit it when i was going for the brake...

Wha??? I had the HB on my street glide, so I understand your comment on the knee, but unless you meant to say "top" instead of "toe" I have no idea how in the world you are doing that.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Trumanator
Cruiser

Cycle Visions Moflow for me...It boils down to looks and cost, since most agree all flow enough air...

Attached Thumbnails Air cleaner performance choice-008.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigjumper
Wha??? I had the HB on my street glide, so I understand your comment on the knee, but unless you meant to say "top" instead of "toe" I have no idea how in the world you are doing that.
it seemed to have a slight downhill tilt, when i went for the brake- the toe of my boot hit the end on the air cleaner ( size 10.5)- that was more than enough for me to go the other way....wacky, ain't it?!

( could be the shop has installed another brake pedal lever?)

Mike

Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

S&S Super, very old school look, works great w/ FI

Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Sigjumper
Novice

Yeah, I think There had to be something else in play, downward angle would certainly aggravate the issue if there were an extended brake lever. Next time I see a HB I'm going to have to try and remember to mentally model it.

BTW- to the OP, I liked the HB, I believe that the FLHX is the perfect model for it, it just (to me) says long trip bike with guts. The clearance takes a day to get used to, then it's out of your head. On my FXST I'm running a K&N with just a cover over the end (no football, just the insert on end- similar to how the super filter is setup above- I like that as well, again it just adds a little oomph to the looks, but is functionallyusless unless running a rediculously large carb on a ridiculously large motor. As said above, the bike will get more than its need for air out of a stage 1. Really your decision at this point boils down to cash and visual preference.

Quick Reply: Air cleaner performance choice