Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRANSMISSION ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRANSMISSION ADVICE

After catching up on the tranny posts for the past couple of days (my '05 has never had a hint of a problem that I didn't cause - been a while since visiting this forum) - I have a word of advice (for some, it's too late). Dammmit - before you buy a HD with a six speed - especially an '07, take a freaking TEST DRIVE. If the noise, clatter, vibration, etc etc etc is objectionable - buy something else!!! Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: TRANSMISSION ADVICE

whollllyy CRAAPPP!!! why didnt the 30-50 of us think of that,,,,,, pure genius!

Old 10-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ted is absolutely 100% correct. Sadly, some dealers don't have a demo available. I'm kinda stunned at that fact, and it isn't an exclusivity with HD dealers. I was in a BMW store last Friday......I know, I know, I blaspheme....but I was curious about the hoopla surrounding the K1200GT, as an ex-BMW owner. The dealer had one, but wouldn't let me ride it unless I was DEAD SERIOUS about buying that bike that day. He's a twit. Do you buy a car without a test drive? No. And you shouldn't buy a new motorcycle without a test drive of that model either. It's silly to take so much for granted.......especially when you are plunking down 20+K.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

Everyone jumped to buy an '07. They were blinded by the 96 engine and 6 speed tranny. 99% don't need the 6 speed tranny and the engine was made bigger for all the EPA junk Harley had to add.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:52 PM
FLHTC06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HERE HERE !! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-08-2006, 10:58 PM
fasthd06
Intermediate

I think it is that some dont know how to use the 6 speed , keep lugging the motor and post 100's of posts why the dealer wont fix it . Maybe they should learn how to shift the bike and not lug the motor. See if your dealer has a starter bike like a buell blast to learn on before they get on a big twin 96 with a 6 speed. Sorry to be so rude but come on did you guys with so called problems ever think that your the problem ? Wind it out - just because you have 6 gears you dont have to use them all unless you have too .

Old 10-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain

Dammmit - before you buy a HD with a six speed - especially an '07, take a freaking TEST DRIVE. If the noise, clatter, vibration, etc etc etc is objectionable - buy something else!!!
Nah, it's much easier to buy it then come on here and groan about it relentlessly

Old 10-08-2006, 11:56 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Are you serious???? Is winding 4th out to 60 + enough for you???... Is winding 5th out to 75 enough??? The noise in 5th doesn't even do it if I am in 5th @ 55. IT's when it gets up to about 60-62 and gets worse from there. I mean wtf, have you even ridden an 07 or heard this one with the issue? I did get to test ride my bike before buying, oh but I was warned by the dealer to stay <50mph for the first 50 miles and not to lug the bike... no problem, especially since this was the bike I was buying I wanted to follow the breakin. Well I never got out of fourth for the test ride. On the way home I got past 50 miles and cruised up to 60 and dropped it into 5th. Wow the whining was there, but no clattering. I asked the dealer about it and was told about the gear cutting and other BS about it being normal. About 300 on the odemeter and it started this clattering noise. It's sad. My dealer has been nice and cool about it. They have gone through my bike and can find nothing apparently wrong and let me test ride another bike and told me to ride it however I liked. Wrode another 07 Road King and it did make the same noises, just the clattering was not as bad. My dealer's hands are tied and they actually have the FAX from the motoco about the noise posted in their shop window. The sales guys have actually called me at home to ask if I was cool with the bike cause they know I am not happy and I am a repeat customer. I got about 1500 on the bike, love it (cept the POS noise) and will ride it, but unless it is fixed will NEVER buy another new Harley. Now, I am confident that they will figure this out and get a fix, I just hope it gets into our 07's and is not just dropped into 08's. I am waiting on some AMSOIL HD gear oil and will drop that into it, hopefully it will lesson the noise to a more tolerable level and I will just ride the hell out of the bike. Ting that scares me is that something sounding like it does probably won't last all that many miles.

In addition the thing runs hot, very hot... so to cure that I have to put pipes, A/C, and tuner to get it tolerable there. Course if I do that I bet I won't hear any trannydrivetrain noise. I do know that my 06 Dyna makes none of this noise. It has the 6 speed, but alas no windshield. I rode that one 2 weeks before putting pipes etc on it and never heard anything odd and did learn abot how to NOT lug, but never felt the heat because it does not have that rear crossover that the bagger has.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

My wifes 06 Dyna does not whine or clatter. But my 07 SG does. Guess I only lug baggers. Stupidest freaking comment I've ever heard out of this forum. Lugging..... whatever.
But I'm not complaining... love the SG regardless.

lp

Old 10-09-2006, 12:48 AM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a suggestion for the guys wanting to use 6th gear, but not exceed the 65mph speed limit. How about about re-gearing your bike to bring 6th gear into use???? Just a thought

Wait for me to change into my flame retardant suit............

BTW I could sure use a 6th gear on my 2006....... she's running 3,400 rpm while crusing 80.......and still listening to some AC/DC............

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION ADVICE