Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default oil cooler install

Tomorow I plan to install a HD oil cooler on my 09 Ultra. Looks pretty straight forward but I wanted to check in with you all to see if there is anything to watch out for or tips or tools I might need
Thanks
Keith

Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by keith t
Tomorow I plan to install a HD oil cooler on my 09 Ultra. Looks pretty straight forward but I wanted to check in with you all to see if there is anything to watch out for or tips or tools I might need
Thanks
Keith
There is a large size allen that I had to get. I can't remember its been so long. I am sure someone will chime in. Make sure you get the gasket on right so nothing gets blocked.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

7/16" hex socket, and they are a bitch to find. A tool truck or order online so don't take her apart till you have one.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Keith
Tips:

1) If you have a chrome rectifier cover it won't fit back on with the cooler.
2)As the others said...make sure you have the Allen wrench before doing the job.
3)Make sure and use RTV sealant when putting on the gasket (Mine leaked the first time.
4) Make sure to get the oil draining plastic funnel from HD for draining the oil from the filter, you will now need it.
5) Leave the screws for the hose clamps facing the front of the bike so you can periodically tighten them. The vibrations from the motor may loosen them. I check them at every oil change for cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Oh...and am I happy with it? Yes. Oil temps are always stable now, and don't go above 200-210.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can double nut a bolt with a 7/16" head on it to install the adapter but an allen socket would be best of course.

Mark

Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
You can double nut a bolt with a 7/16" head on it to install the adapter but an allen socket would be best of course.

Mark

That is what I did the first time and it leaked. (Could not really tighten it properly)

I broke down and bought the Allen wrench and rtv- No problems since.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by easycruzer
That is what I did the first time and it leaked. (Could not really tighten it properly)

I broke down and bought the Allen wrench and rtv- No problems since.
We must have been doing the same install! Do use RTV on the gasket and Do get the correct size Allen Bit. Just works better that way.

lp

Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember getting lucky and finding the allen wrench at sear hardware. I cut it off and used a socket to turn it.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lucked out at the local pawn shop .....4 bucks for the allen socket, wondering now if the gasket would be ok with copper spray instead of the RTV

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucked out at the local pawn shop .....4 bucks for the allen socket, wondering now if the gasket would be ok with copper spray instead of the RTV
Gasket sealer is gasket sealer, another good choice is aviation type gasket sealer.

Quick Reply: oil cooler install