Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Training New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:28 PM
flakdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Training New Rider

Hekp! Just bought the boss a new bike and I'm trying to train her to ride. BTW she has taken the MSF training and has gotten her endorsment, but that does not make you a rider!

Here is the course of action I've taken the last couple of days...

Location; We are lucky to live in a rural area and I have found some county roads where there is very little or no traffic.

We started yesterday with a 5 mile ride consisting of several slow curves and a few stop signs. despite being very nervous she did pretty good.

We took the same track to day (twice) she did good till we got to one really tight curve and she approached too fast. She did like she had been taught and got the bike shut down but not before she left the road and almost went into the fence! Yipes! It scared the bejesus out of me.

I have been leading her on my bike but I think I need to behind her to watch what is going on.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you have had the experience of training new riders. I would appreciate your input.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Training New Rider

Depends on the person.Having her follow you may be better for awhile.The other way around may have her nervous,watching rear mirror instead of watching road.Keep to the low traffic areas gradually getting into more congested areas.No booze!No poker runs or many rider rides for awhile.Just needs practice,for things to become 2nd nature.Good luck,keep your cool and expect things not to work out great right away.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Thanks Pittguy,

That is my strategy

Old 10-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

yes just keep doing what you are doing and keep encouraging her, she will get better with time and her cofidence will build. Good luck to both of you and happy riding[sm=biker.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-08-2006, 05:29 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Time has to be spent doing slow speed training and maneuvers. Cone weaves, u-turns, figure 8's....Slow speed, friction zone, parking lot, full lock stuff. New riders need to learn that the bike is SUPPOSED to be leaned over to properly turn. If the rider can lean the bike fully, at parking lot speeds, then they will be confident enough to do it at highway speeds to maneuver out of danger.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19126/3DC97FAD49DD4B46BEFE8D33069CDAB4.jpg[/IMG]

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (08-16-2019)
Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Practice Practice Practice

Get Ride Like a Pro IV. My wife and I have watched it a few times. She just got her bike and we plan on practicing

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/RLAP4.asp

Find a nice parking lot and do the drills. They say about 5 or so hrs of practice and you'll be a much better rider.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:53 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The key is patience and support.

However, I must admit, I don't remember learning to ride a motorcycle being as hard as it seems now. The MSF course is great if you are going to ride a 200cc bike around a parking lot. They don't cover the transition to the road and or a more powerful bike. I spent months with my wife teaching her to ride her Sporty.

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a 400cc metric for her first year. Then maybe a 750, and then the Sporty.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 PM
FLHTC06
Advanced

Closed course practice and tennis *****. Cut the ***** in half and use them to simulate curves, cone weaves and obstacles. The half ball will not hurt the bike if hit and will normally flip up if hit. Practice hard stops ( Never while in a curve ) to learn where the bike locks up and how to utilize the front brake effectively. NEVER use the front brake under 15 mph except to hold the bike still after a complete stop or taking off on a hill. If your bike has Engine guards wrap them with radiator hose and duct tape to protect the finish. Ride Like A Pro, the lastest issue, GREAT learning tool. You may also consider an advanced riders course because they are not that much advanced. It would not be like she is trying out for the Police Motorcycle drill team. Patience, and being able to demonstrate proper techniques is also monumental. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:26 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Thanks for the good advice. I agree that the MSF course does not address some of the issues. I am pleased however that the do stress the fundamentals and this has helped her alot.

We ordered the Ride Like a Pro IV DVD a while back and it has helped me alot. She has watched it some. You are right about the practice. It may be awhile before she is ready for group riding and traffic.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 PM
FLHTC06
Advanced

You'll know when she's ready for group riding. She will ride offset to you and at all times maintain the same distance during acceleration, cornering and braking. Take her on a group ride, 2 up not solo, and explain everything you do and why. In the mean time closed course practice is most beneficial. She can panic there and run over a tennis ball, she can't panic on a 2 lane country road at 40 mph and ........ well, you get the point. The better she knows her bike, its limitations and hers, the more enjoyment and pleasure you'll both recieve in the end. Not to mention peace of mind for yourself. My wife just rolled over 5000 miles on her Ultra Classic that she got in June. I spent 4 solid weeks, 3 to 5 times a week working with her on the side of a Walmart store that had a huge staging area for trucks. I still talk with her about issues I notice and situations that come up when we are relaxing over dinner or whenever. She's really starting to show traits of being a seasoned rider. I still worry about her and I think that's normal but I ride more at ease now.

Quick Reply: Training New Rider