Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

[quote=Traceman;8021971]
Originally Posted by uscanuck

Thats correct. They were made for them. If you look at the ebay item I posted above they have them. The controller just replaces your existing clutch clamp cap. (say that 3 times fast LOL) The Chubby bars are turned down in the grip/control areas so that all your stock hardware works.

You can see in the picture how the ends are smaller.
For us guys with TBW it looks like the throttle side needs to be reamed out to 0.875 for the heater and throttle control to fit.

I've got Wild 1 bars but on the Heat Demons website the picture of the left side clutch perch shows it as not covering the 1-1/4 bar but is about 1/4" from it. How does it fit on your bike? Does it go over the 1-1/4 section?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=uscanuck;8022184]
Originally Posted by Traceman

For us guys with TBW it looks like the throttle side needs to be reamed out to 0.875 for the heater and throttle control to fit.

I've got Wild 1 bars but on the Heat Demons website the picture of the left side clutch perch shows it as not covering the 1-1/4 bar but is about 1/4" from it. How does it fit on your bike? Does it go over the 1-1/4 section?

I just spoke with the Heat Demon tech people and found out, for TBW, the Chubby manufacturer will ream your bars out for the heat demons when you purchase them (if you ask them to) they do not come stock that way and there are no heat demons made to fit the smaller ID of the bars. They have to be reamed out, and you have to ask them to do it.

I haven't had time to call the Chubby people to ask them to confirm this, or if they started doing it automatically on all of them. They have gotten enough complaints, they should do it to all of them.

Last edited by jjnoble; 03-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
JoeN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where did you pick up the power

behind the fairing for the heat demons. Recently installed heat demons and tied into the orange/white wire and the black wire off the headlanp. Heat demons work, then they don't work, then they will go dim. I think the wires I tied into is a relayed circuit, therefore no good? Don't want to go to the battery for power. Please help
Thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeN
behind the fairing for the heat demons. Recently installed heat demons and tied into the orange/white wire and the black wire off the headlanp. Heat demons work, then they don't work, then they will go dim. I think the wires I tied into is a relayed circuit, therefore no good? Don't want to go to the battery for power. Please help
Thanks
I tied in on the back of the cigarrette lighter. No problems so far.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:49 AM
Iron_Horseman_Calgary
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my Heat Demons! I have always ridden right down to a few degrees above freezing and I am enjoying the heated grips so much that I wonder how I managed without them. If you run into any difficulty just fire off an email to their customer support. Joe, their technical support guy is first rate and so is the product. I found the recommended orange and white accessory wire paired with a black ground wire and I connected my Heat Demons to those wires (these wires were found connected to the wiring going to the headlight inside the outer fairing). If you connect directly to the battery, you run the risk of running your battery down by forgetting to shut off your grip warmers. If you are installing into an electronic throttle bike, undo the connector for it by following the wires from the lower mid part of the handlebar where there is an opening in the bar. On a bat wing bike like mine, you remove the outer fairing. Cut off a few zip ties for this wiring and bring the disconnected connector close to the opening of the bar. This will give you lots of play to easily slide the electronic throttle control out of the bar. Also, when connecting the controller to the handlebar, gently pull the wires tight from the end of the bar before putting on the grip (or work the controller wires completely into the bar through the hole you make in the handlebar before tightening the controller into place). Otherwise, it is easy to pinch a wire when tightening the controller into place. Don't ask me how I know this and how I know how excellent their customer support is.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Rock81
Advanced
Default Air Cleaner

I'm sorry to do it like this but I can't seem to figure out how to send a pm. Where did you get that air cleaner and do you know the part number. Any info would be great.

Originally Posted by robbie52
How hard are the heat demons to install on an '09 touring bike.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Heat Demons will be one of my next add on's, it really makes for a bad ride when your hands go numb from the cold.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 AM
katiedog
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had heat demons installed on my bike (RKC)..I went for a ride in 45 degree weather.I pulled over twice to make sure that they were on! Ths dealer had my bike for another week and told me that they can't get them hot enough.I spoke with the heat demons rep,he keeps telling me there is a bad connection.Harley tech says no. They removed the heat demons ...BAD EXPERIENCE WITH HEAT DEMONS

Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
alame
Tourer

after reading all the related issues with the heated grips from HD I did some checking and found that HD grips have had 3 revisions of their grips since they have been on the market, I went with the HD grips for the simple reason I would have had to remove the bars to do a decent job of getting them reamed out 6" x .875 for my 08 Ultra and I just didn't want to do that so they were easier to install in the long run, I was assured by the local HD dudes here that these heated grips are "better" now, we'll see I guess.....I'm not a big fan of some products out there but to see whats written by some of the idiots on here cause they were to f**ing lazy to do any research on a given subject....ya all drive cars, trucks, got toasters....I work in aviation and we are constantly getting new mods on aircraft, its just the way it is when its built by humans.....

Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
hojack
Stage IV
Default 12" Chubby Outlawz Apes

Just received my bars today. Looks like I will have have to ream the TBW side to .875 to allow for Heat Demons. Has anyone had this done? Looking for any good ideas.